Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518510 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #540 on: August 12, 2013, 04:01:03 pm »

Claiming that time is of the essence while not giving an actual time limit
Or worse,
"QUICKLY! BEFORE THE WORLD ENDS!" "But wait, I gotta do some chores." "Cool, take your time."
Particularly bad in Bethesda titles. It never seems like the world changes because there's no time limits on anything.
I think this is because whenever there is a time limit, people complain. Like take Fallout 1 for example. It's got a really lenient time limit that you can lengthen, yet people couldn't stop bitching about it. There was also a hidden time limit for the second plot point, but it was so huge you would've been done with every quest in the game long before it even got close.

I actually loved the time limit in Fallout. It made the world feel infinitely more alive than if the water just ran out at scripted plot points. And the super mutants gradually taking over the map if you delayed in fighting the Master was just brilliant.

DX:HR's first mission is pretty brilliantly done, too. Take your time breaking into random offices, the mission can wait? Lolnope, all the hostages are dead before you FINALLY decided to go help them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2013, 09:24:30 pm »

Time limits would actually be a peeve of mine. I dont want to be pressured into doing anything and prefer to do my own things without time limits. I would prefer the mechanic that encourages you to progress to be less overt than a timer.

Overkill HDR
Makes me feel like I need to wear sun glasses when plaing a game.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:38 pm »

Going from borderlands 2 to fallout 3 makes me really hate the fact there are not keyboard standards beyond wasd and standards between falling damages.
I almost wish there never was a game without falling damage because going from one to the other is so frustrating when you die from what looks to be a six foot drop.
As for standards, it makes immersion difficult and I'm constantly tapping alt (from borderlands) expecting to go faster and instead I move slower (aim). M now does not bring up the map. E is not a "take all" button, it's now "Leave it all there, you were supposed to press A" and the whole thing just makes me want to flip a table because now I have to rebind every damned key in the game and go back through the game to see if I totally "E"d all the ammo boxes and that's why I have no ammo.
/firstworldproblems

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2013, 11:59:33 pm »

This becomes VERY noticeable if you switch between consoles.

PS1 and SNES had somewhat different controls for RPGs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 13, 2013, 01:21:09 am »

Consoles that have their own unique special snowflake buttons

So Nintendo has numbers now, and Playstation has always had shapes as face buttons. What was wrong with ABXY RL? It makes it incredibly annoying to switch over.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 13, 2013, 01:31:49 am »

Consoles that have their own unique special snowflake buttons

So Nintendo has numbers now, and Playstation has always had shapes as face buttons. What was wrong with ABXY RL? It makes it incredibly annoying to switch over.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 are far more similar than they are different.  It makes sense from a business perspective for them to stand out wherever they can, to encourage loyalty to their console even though the other company's console runs all the same games from a hardware perspective.

No idea why Nintendo would want its snowflake buttons though.  Those button labels have been in the family for generations D:
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:23 am »

Well, probably it's because everything worth doing different is patented (many by companies that have never produced anything, and may or may not still exist), so they try to look 'innovative' by cramming the hardware into more obviously different cases, calling it a cute name, and filing a larger number of lawsuits to give an impression of legitimacy.

TL;DR: Because OTHER COMPANIES have done it the way we used to, and we each already patented 300 hypothetical ways of doing it differently, so there's no reason not to use button naming scheme #57.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 13, 2013, 01:51:39 am »

Quickly tapping the "auto aim" button doesn't automatically switch targets

Having to manually move the character around to draw a bead on a certain monster is a pain, especially if you're trying to get at a boss' weak point.

Jeez, this one was obnoxious in some Metroid Prime boss fights. Looking at you, Hive Mecha.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 13, 2013, 02:27:03 am »

Ok how about

Games made with the controllers in mind, where the transition to keyboard controls are an afterthought!

Hello Rogue Legacy, you proven to me that you don't have to be a ported console game to achieve this. So now that I got your attention is there a reason why you couldn't have optimized the keyboard controls to aid the game? Such as double tap charges and a superior layout.

Ohh and don't think I forgot about you Skyrim with your menu of vomit and the stripped features from Oblivion that actually used what the Computer could do BETTER then a console. Would it really have hurt so much to spend the five minutes of development time to optimize the UI?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 13, 2013, 04:45:18 am »

Ok how about

Games made with the controllers in mind, where the transition to keyboard controls are an afterthought!

Hello Rogue Legacy, you proven to me that you don't have to be a ported console game to achieve this. So now that I got your attention is there a reason why you couldn't have optimized the keyboard controls to aid the game? Such as double tap charges and a superior layout.

Ohh and don't think I forgot about you Skyrim with your menu of vomit and the stripped features from Oblivion that actually used what the Computer could do BETTER then a console. Would it really have hurt so much to spend the five minutes of development time to optimize the UI?
I'd say those games are nothing compared to the likes of Resident Evil 4 or Dark Souls in terms of giving no shits about mouse and keyboard controls. Like at least the mouse more or less worked in Skyrim and Oblibian. With RE4 you had no mouse at all, only later was there a third-party addon that only worked with one region, and with Dark Souls they did the thing where it didn't matter how much you moved your mouse, it only cared which direction it moved in on the given frame. The keyboard layout was pretty inane as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:46:42 am by Virtz »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 13, 2013, 05:14:17 am »

Dark Souls they did the thing where it didn't matter much you moved your mouse, it only cared which direction it moved in on the given frame.

I havent played Dark Souls, before, but I know from experience that this style of mouse input leads to a miserable, miserable experience.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:59 am »

Dark Souls they did the thing where it didn't matter much you moved your mouse, it only cared which direction it moved in on the given frame.

I havent played Dark Souls, before, but I know from experience that this style of mouse input leads to a miserable, miserable experience.

Couple that with (if I remember correctly) switching targets by moving the mouse left or right quickly. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:16 am »

Non-platforming games that suddenly have very difficult platform segments near the end

This is doubly so for me because platformers are the only genre that I consistently suck at.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 13, 2013, 09:07:22 am »

Non-platforming games that suddenly have very difficult platform segments near the end

This is doubly so for me because platformers are the only genre that I consistently suck at.
Or in the middle and everything else is a breeze?
I'm staring at you, clocktower of every Castlevania game ever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 13, 2013, 02:25:31 pm »

I'd say those games are nothing compared to the likes of Resident Evil 4 or Dark Souls in terms of giving no shits about mouse and keyboard controls. Like at least the mouse more or less worked in Skyrim and Oblibian. With RE4 you had no mouse at all, only later was there a third-party addon that only worked with one region, and with Dark Souls they did the thing where it didn't matter how much you moved your mouse, it only cared which direction it moved in on the given frame. The keyboard layout was pretty inane as well.

Ohh I fully believe you that there is much worse. It is almost why I think Console to PC ports transition BADLY!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 324