Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518516 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »

There needs to be a game where you go to rescue a princess, and the levels are you walking through the aftermath of her destroying everything. All the weapons and upgrades are stuff she found and didn't take, or her discards. Enemies are shell-shocked and scattered. Bosses are beaten up.
What would your job even be at that point? Turn her rage mode off?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 11, 2013, 11:24:25 pm »

She's the second to last boss. She thinks you're another minion. Then the final boss shows up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:43 pm »

Psychic NPC's

So you're wandering in Fallout: New Vegas and you see some Legionaries fighting NCR. You pull out your silenced sniper rifle, hide in a bush on the next hillside, and pick off one of the Legion. His buddy instantly, telepathically informs the entire faction that YOU, not the NCR he was currently fighting, have done wrong. Everyone from slaves to Caesar is instantly, irrevocably aware of what YOU did against them. The guy then gets shot in the gut and keels over in the middle of the desert. Too late, damage done.

Related: Lining up a shot through a scope on someone you can barely see. You miss their head by barely an inch. They turn and in less than a second line up a headshot on you with their SMG or pistol. You die.

Related: Either of the above happening at 3 AM on an overcast night when I have no light source to identify me. Bonus points if I haven't even taken a shot yet.

Related: Enemy is either completely unaware or at low alertness.... until my crosshair passes over him which activates the evasion script, and his AI sense tells him to start dodging. Borderlands 1 did this. Lots.

There needs to be a game where you go to rescue a princess, and the levels are you walking through the aftermath of her destroying everything. All the weapons and upgrades are stuff she found and didn't take, or her discards. Enemies are shell-shocked and scattered. Bosses are beaten up.

Hyper Princess Pitch. You can piledrive tanks!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »

Later editions of the story have had better or worse depictions, but there's a very strong case to be argued that a "damsel in distress" princess can still be a strong, admirable character.

Sort of better. Zelda now has tended to be the character who manipulates things behind the scenes and saves the kingdom through self-sacrifice.

in Twilight Princess she was the only reason there still was a Hyrule.

Anyhow don't let Anita get to you... Just remember what her deconstructions were. Zelda dressed as Link, Peach Dressed up as Mario, and a Princess dressed up in Drag. It isn't about letting Zelda use the strength to save the day in her own rights but rather for her to adopt the strength of another. Her deconstruction isn't a deconstruction it is a "take that"

Her arguments are as strong as a house made of wet noodles.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:39:15 pm by Neonivek »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 11, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »

Psychic NPC's

So you're wandering in Fallout: New Vegas and you see some Legionaries fighting NCR. You pull out your silenced sniper rifle, hide in a bush on the next hillside, and pick off one of the Legion. His buddy instantly, telepathically informs the entire faction that YOU, not the NCR he was currently fighting, have done wrong. Everyone from slaves to Caesar is instantly, irrevocably aware of what YOU did against them. The guy then gets shot in the gut and keels over in the middle of the desert. Too late, damage done.

Related: Lining up a shot through a scope on someone you can barely see. You miss their head by barely an inch. They turn and in less than a second line up a headshot on you with their SMG or pistol. You die.

Related: Either of the above happening at 3 AM on an overcast night when I have no light source to identify me. Bonus points if I haven't even taken a shot yet.

Related: Enemy is either completely unaware or at low alertness.... until my crosshair passes over him which activates the evasion script, and his AI sense tells him to start dodging. Borderlands 1 did this. Lots.
All of this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 12, 2013, 05:09:30 am »

Overpowered animals
This is something that gets on my nerves in a lot of action and RPG games. Real-life mid-sized animals are given super-powers so that they can stand up to an armed human being, sometimes being able to shrug off attacks that kill human beings in the same game. It gets especially ridiculous when you're controlling this seasoned warrior, and you're having trouble fighting off this animal that Bob and Jimbo could kill on a drunken roadtrip. There's a reason it's called hunting and not mortal combat in reality.

They're not fun to fight either. Whereas with a human opponent you can have things like parrying, blocking, counters and stumbling, combat with animals usually boils down to HP drain. They're not as well developed as humanoid opponents and they're given tons of HP to make up for it, making for really boring combat. One of the worst recent examples of this would be Far Cry 3 (although the rest of the game makes up for it), but there's like a million games that do this, especially RPGs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:58:06 am by Virtz »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 12, 2013, 05:39:51 am »

Unexperienced experienced fighter

So the story is you have been chosen as the strongest warrior of the kingdom to save the world from the big amorphous thing of evil. You walk into a corridor and get punched to death by starving peasants. They should have just sent the peasants, they probably would have done a better job.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:37 am »

Claiming that time is of the essence while not giving an actual time limit
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 12, 2013, 11:43:11 am »

Or worse,
"QUICKLY! BEFORE THE WORLD ENDS!" "But wait, I gotta do some chores." "Cool, take your time."
Particularly bad in Bethesda titles. It never seems like the world changes because there's no time limits on anything.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 12, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »

Actually, I really hate the opposite. Big Huge Timers on your HUD that tell you the world is doomed in exactly fifteen minutes.

Din's Curse did this perfectly, in my opinion. There was no hard time limit on any quest, but someone else could do it before you, or the quest giver could die before you got your reward.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 12, 2013, 12:48:20 pm »

Or worse,
"QUICKLY! BEFORE THE WORLD ENDS!" "But wait, I gotta do some chores." "Cool, take your time."
Particularly bad in Bethesda titles. It never seems like the world changes because there's no time limits on anything.
I think this is because whenever there is a time limit, people complain. Like take Fallout 1 for example. It's got a really lenient time limit that you can lengthen, yet people couldn't stop bitching about it. There was also a hidden time limit for the second plot point, but it was so huge you would've been done with every quest in the game long before it even got close.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »

I actually quite liked the time limit in Fallout 1. Anyway, I think there should be subtle time limits on certain quests where it'd make sense, to give a sense of urgency. Like, would it make sense for those slaves to be constantly waiting on you? Wouldn't they get sold to someone else after a while?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »

Or worse,
I think this is because whenever there is a time limit, people complain. Like take Fallout 1 for example. It's got a really lenient time limit that you can lengthen, yet people couldn't stop bitching about it. There was also a hidden time limit for the second plot point, but it was so huge you would've been done with every quest in the game long before it even got close.

I actually loved the time limit in Fallout. It made the world feel infinitely more alive than if the water just ran out at scripted plot points. And the super mutants gradually taking over the map if you delayed in fighting the Master was just brilliant.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 12, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »

Or worse,
And in the Final Fantasy games. FF7 was especially bad, since at one point you're TOLD that there's only a week before Meteor hits. I decided to spend 7 straight nights at the inn to see what happened(nothing). FFXII is a bit funnier. Supposedly, the Bhujerban Insurgents and the Empire are gearing up for one big battle(the game even shows a cutscene of the Empire executing several surrendering ships via doomsday weapon to force the Insurgents into the fight). But nothing ever happens until you show up.
Spoiler: It's funny because (click to show/hide)

Psychic NPC's

All of this.
These were especially bad with Hidden & Dangerous, where the Germans could not only identify your nationality(incorrectly sometimes, as several of your guys were definitely NOT British), and then headshot you from a mile away with an MP40(which every single one of them had, except snipers), even though you couldn't hit them from a quarter of that with a sniper rilfe trained right on their torso.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:35 pm »

Quickly tapping the "auto aim" button doesn't automatically switch targets

Having to manually move the character around to draw a bead on a certain monster is a pain, especially if you're trying to get at a boss' weak point.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 324