Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103562 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, XKeyscore - The Snowden Saga: ...There's more.
« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:10 am »

Yes, but to think of yourself of anything but small-time is delusional. The fact that the "could" is not a reasonable reason to be paranoid.
Where else is there? That's the saddest part of this. It's happening everywhere. Where could you possible go where you'd be better off?
It's been "happening" in the US since before Hoover and Cabinet Noir has existed since the 16th century.

Spying? Yes. Mass surveillance? Watching and tracking everyone? No, obviously not.
No, as I stated before, they collect data and have access to much data, but don't meticulously comb through it. The NSA's primary roles is overseas intelligence and domestic counterintelligence. They find a few strings and lead back to it. Thinking that you would be prosecuted by the NSA is delusional. You are small-time. They don't care.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2013, 11:25:46 am »

Except they DO meticulously comb through it. That's why they have all those huge computers in huge data centers running 24/7. That's how they decide whether or not you are "small time". And they record everything, pretty much forever, so if that ever changes, well...

I have a feeling you may have some trouble understanding the concept of technology, since you seem to be saying things that are false on the face of them.

And you seem to be so focused on "oh don't worry they won't do anything to YOU" as if that's important or even relevant to the discussion.

I honestly don't understand what point you are trying to make, but I get the feeling you don't actually understand what the NSA is doing OR why people are upset about it.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:16 am »

You're forgetting basic priority of threats. There isn't an invisible sword of Damocles hanging over everyone's heads because most of us are irrelevant. They DON'T want to cause waves, and even with all these resources at hand, they'd rather do their actual job (catch foreign spies and terororists) than blackmail and lockup US citizens.
I DON'T care what those guys did in Kunia, but considering the huge amounts of Chinese and Arabic linguists, it most likely had little to do with domestic affairs.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:29 am »

I'll refer you to SalmonGod's post about the use of surveillance against Occupy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:59 am »

That was Homesec, a completely different part of the Intelligence Apparatus. I'm just saying that the NSA is being accused of things that's not in their list of duties.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2013, 11:53:36 am »

Didn't see it posted anywhere here, ignore if it has been, but this seems to suggest that though they do collect ALL the data, most of it gets dumped after a very short time.

Excerpted:
The XKeyscore system is continuously collecting so much internet data that it can be stored only for short periods of time. Content remains on the system for only three to five days, while metadata is stored for 30 days. One document explains: "At some sites, the amount of data we receive per day (20+ terabytes) can only be stored for as little as 24 hours."

To solve this problem, the NSA has created a multi-tiered system that allows analysts to store "interesting" content in other databases, such as one named Pinwale which can store material for up to five years.

Unless someone, for whatever reason, decides to hold onto it for a *little* while longer.

Edit: Fixed a typo
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:29 pm »

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/31/opinion/schneier-nsa-trust/index.html

Bruce Schneier's opinion on the whole thing. Definitely worth a read.

The biggest problem is quite simple:
it's becoming clear that we can't trust anything anyone official says

This is the damage that has been dealt, and it's not Snowden's fault. It's the fault of those who have insured there are incredibly good reasons not to trust anything anyone official says (those good reasons being the fact that they KEEP LYING)

This is something I think is important for people to understand about me, personally. I do don't give a shit about privacy. I think it's stupid. I would much rather live in a world without out. But I don't think the government should be keeping the existence of programs secret from the people. I care about the immensity of the power balance, and my issue isn't with the lack of privacy but rather the opposite - the fact that they enshroud that lack of privacy with deception and secrecy of their own. I think the government should be as open as possible, because otherwise the idea of us living in a Democracy is a sham - a choice based on deception is no choice at all. I doubly don't approve of them lying to our elected representatives, which they have time and time again, and which are the extreme limits of our ability to exert power over our government.

They have insured that we have no reason to trust they are acting in our best interestes except their word, and they have insured that their word is worthless for engendering trust.

In the words of Reagen, "Trust but Verify".

We have been robbed of any ability to verify by our government, but told we have no choice but to trust them anyway.

You want to know why people like Manning and Snowden have been hailed as heroes?

Because they have done something to demonstrate that people can trust them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:12:17 pm by GlyphGryph »

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2013, 01:22:37 pm »

The government intelligence agencies need to keep their intelligence gathering operations secret so they can be effective. Once it's public knowledge, it hampers their ability to do what they have to do.
I do not believe that deliberately breaking an oath of secrecy and trust to their organizations show any trustworthiness upon Manning or Snowden.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »

They demonstrated that where the loyalties to the American people and loyalties to their organization conflict, they will side with the American people. Do you honestly not see how that makes them trustworthy, to a member of the American public?

This makes them more trustworthy than everyone who has decided their loyalty lies with the NSA. They have demonstrated, through their actions, that they are worthy of the American public giving them trust, on account of how they have been willing to suffer horrible fates in exchange for acting in our best interests. They have sacrificed, personally, significantly, to leave us better off.

The NSA, meanwhile, has insisted WE sacrifice to make THEIR job easier. Not exactly the most trustworthy of behaviours, since everything else they've told us is a lie.

It's pretty simple, dude. Betraying traitors to your country when you realize they are traitors to your country is very much an act of loyalty (to your country, obviously not to the traitors, but loyalty to traitors isn't worth much).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:29:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »

Unless someone, for whatever reason, decides to hold onto it for a *little* while longer.
Here. A question, in what world do you have any proof the government will do anything? Well? This is conjecture. What basis do you have to suspect anyone might ever do that? Not to say their not, but what gives you the suspicion? Anything specific? Any instance where this occurs? Or just, a general suspicion of the US government, No basis needed?

it's becoming clear that we can't trust anything anyone official says
This is dangerous thinking, and it leads to being the insane Tea-partiers protesting the CBO for saying the Immigration bill would reduce the deficit. I am just letting you know, when you step onto that platform, you lose all legitimacy to anyone outside of your opinion group. The chance to change the minds of the people who make decisions is lost. You cease to be someone who changes Policy, and start to be someone with ideals that will never succeed because you abandoned the way of changing the world.

You have to realize you have to get your hands dirty to play ball. This is unfortunately not a perfect world, if it was there'd be no reason to be involved anyway. It isn't. Even when there is change and revolution, Progress goes through the system, or it don't go at all. One does not simply kill the parts of an old government (Or if they do, it's a different ball-game entirely).

Realize, I'm not justifying the government here at all. Not even a little. Hell, they are dealing with their own self-inflicted madness. But what you said exemplifies the danger of anyone who wants reform, destroying any chance of real progress for partisanship that accomplishes nothing.

The NSA, meanwhile, has insisted WE sacrifice to make THEIR job easier. Not exactly the most trustworthy of behaviours, since everything else they've told us is a lie.
From "The Paranoid Style in American politics"
The spokesman, sees the fate of conspiracy in [/size]apocalyptic[/color][/size] terms — he traffics in the birth and death of whole worlds, whole political orders, whole systems of human values. He is always manning the barricades of civilization... he does not see social conflict as something to be mediated and compromised, in the manner of the working politician. Since what is at stake is always a [/size]conflict[/color][/size] between absolute good and absolute evil, what is necessary is not compromise but the will to fight things out to a finish. Since the enemy is thought of as being totally evil and totally unappeasable, he must be totally eliminated — if not from the world, at least from the theatre of operations to which he directs his attention. This demand for total triumph leads to the formulation of hopelessly unrealistic goals, and since these goals are not even remotely attainable, failure constantly heightens the paranoid’s sense of frustration. Even partial success leaves him with the same feeling of powerlessness with which he began, and this in turn only strengthens his awareness of the vast and terrifying quality of the enemy he opposes[/size]
[/u]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:43:18 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2013, 01:49:24 pm »

What's funny is that that statement seems to accurately describe most all the officials we seem to be talking about. Much of the government is paranoid of it's people and the world in general, and are willing to sacrifice the trust we need to keep society functioning in order to preserve their unobtainable security goals.

Look, I'm not saying I mistrust everyone in government. As much reason as they've given me too, I know there are least some Representatives and Senators that still have the interests of the American people at heart, and others that believe that siding with the American people is in their own best interests. I don't trust the officials of any secret organization, or organization that trucks in secrecy as part of it's primary methodology or has a history of abusing secrecy to protect it's own status and members at the expense of the public at large - and for good reason. It's no secret what sort of individual you need to be to rise to the top of that sort of organization, and "trustworthy from the perspective of an American citizen" is most assuredly not one of those qualities (even though it should be). Would you seriously argue that trust the head of the NSA, or taking any official NSA spokesperson at their word, would be a smart thing to do or a good idea?

Also, how can this be described as "partisanship"?

Again, as many problems as Reagan had, "trust but verify" is a useful tool. We cannot, and should not, trust the government to act in our best interests. That is one of the founding premises of this country and one of our core ideals. It is why we set up systems of checks and balances, and adversarial structures, because we can't trust people to act in our best interests, without a way to verify that they are doing so. It's not paranoid - it's realistic. There needs to be structures in place to keep the various parts of the government honest, because we need to be able to trust those who hold power to function effectively as a society. At that means working against all the incentives government employees have to do exactly the opposite.

I want to see the structures that served this purpose (but have been dismantled), rebuilt. I'd like to see new structures put into place that recognize the modern world we live in. I want to believe in effective government, and there's not actually a whole lot that would need to be done to restore that belief in myself and a lot of other people.

I don't think it's likely to happen to the extent I want. I don't know if we'll even manage to move in that direction - there are plenty of powerful folks who very much like the way things are going now. I think it's possible. I do think we can improve.

But change requires people to care. And the primary argument of most of the anti-Snowden people in this thread, like MrHappy, is that we shouldn't care. And that is, yes, pretty damn infuriating. Because improvement is possible. The recently barely defeated legislation in the House shows that. But as long as people believe and argue that we honestly shouldn't care, change is going to be impossible to the extent that their arguments gain traction. All that's required to keep most people trustworthy is the right environment, but it's an environment certain components of the Federal government seem pretty intent on undermining.

It's basically the problem with many police departments writ large. Lack of oversight, protection of bad apples, growing corruption shielded from the public gaze and immunity to prosecution except for those who shake the boat and risk exposure of the departments problems. There are solutions to these sorts of problems, but it's not going to come from within the organizations involved. It needs public outcry and public pressure if reform is to be possible.

People arguing, as MrHappy does, that we need to avoid this sort of oversight in order to let these people do their jobs seem to fail to understand exactly what the job these people are supposed to be doing is. They are supposed to be working to make our country a better place. And the things they are doing, while they may serve the micro-goal of these organizations, don't serve the abiding focus that our government exists to support. They do not serve the public good effectively as they are, and this is a serious issue, and sweeping it under the rug, ignoring it, or saying they need these corrupting powers to do their job effectively is just going to leave us worse off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:06:11 pm by GlyphGryph »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

That was Homesec, a completely different part of the Intelligence Apparatus. I'm just saying that the NSA is being accused of things that's not in their list of duties.

Not really.  The emerging picture about the intelligence apparatus is it's increasingly evolving into a unified entity.  See: Fusion Centers, which is what the research paper I referenced is mainly about.

I'm glad this discussion is ongoing, because I'm passing by to drop this off, which is incredibly relevant.  I have plenty of reasons to believe that if they showed up at my house, it wouldn't be so uneventful.

I'll have to catch up on more of the thread later.  Can't read some of the bigger posts right now.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »

Here. A question, in what world do you have any proof the government will do anything? Well? This is conjecture. What basis do you have to suspect anyone might ever do that? Not to say their not, but what gives you the suspicion? Anything specific? Any instance where this occurs? Or just, a general suspicion of the US government, No basis needed?

That is, sadly, a perfectly valid question when things like this are discussed. However, my issue with this isn't from some baseless mistrust for the US Government. My issue is that we've seen that this has already been used outside of its stated purpose of catching terrorists. Plenty of people around here have already brought up these groups' scrutiny of Occupy groups and they're hardly terrorists. While they probably won't give you or I  any issues this can and has pretty deeply invaded the lives of folks who hadn't committed any crime.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 01, 2013, 07:11:06 pm »

Overzealous 'protection' of the country by putting extra scrutiny on people/organizations that disagree with the current state of affairs enough to gather together and protest.

There seems to be a few convenient local ordinances out there that don't allow people the freedom of assembly if I remember correctly.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 01, 2013, 07:54:13 pm »

Considering this thread has about half a dozen such examples posted already, and the progressive and occupy threads likely have several dozen each, I'll just point and say "That." There have been posted both numerous examples of A: random "we made a mistake and charged an innocent person with some form of terrorism" cases and B: targeted application against political enemies like occupy.

Going beyond that, if we look overseas, we see a similar pattern of using these sorts of internet monitoring systems to target political dissidents, charging them with terrorism or some other nebulous crime with the intention of intimidating.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 83