Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103084 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bets on how Snowden will be discredited?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 09:43:40 pm »

The only person I've ever heard of by that name is the leader of the Union of Britain in Kaiserreich.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 09:47:57 pm »

The only person I've ever heard of by that name is the leader of the Union of Britain in Kaiserreich.
I'm glad I wasn't the only person making that connection. But wait...is OUR Snowden secretly apart of a group of British Syndicalists?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 10:28:55 pm »

I think that any sort of "accident" is highly unlikely at this juncture, both because the leak has already been made (rendering moot the goal of attempting to prevent it), and because he opted for full disclosure, which was quite wise, really, as it makes it more difficult for him to be eliminated without anyone noticing. I agree with Sir Finkus, that Slate article was rather insightful; the primary avenue by which the NSA could have attacked his character would also reflect badly on them, and apart from that he appears to have had good intentions and acted as responsibly as a leaker can.
The trouble is that he says he has even more damning evidence of bad stuff® being done by the government, but chose not to release it.  The NSA doesn't know whether he still has a thumb drive full of naked Obama pictures or something if he feels the initial leak didn't accomplish his goals.  Even if he doesn't have any more documents, he's still able to talk to reporters and release more information or provide further context for what he's leaked.

It is very dangerous for the NSA to have this guy out and about. 

Another thing they could do is pressure a foreign government arrest him on some local law.  I'm not sure if they have the diplomatic clout to get China to do it, or if China would be even able to arrest him in Hong Kong.  I would not be shocked if something was arranged though.

Something like that would be the "ideal" way to do it.  The US's hands are "clean", and if they choose the right offense (say... he brought too much currency over the border without declaring it) they can still keep Snowden looking like he was a good hire.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:33:11 pm by Sir Finkus »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 11:00:52 pm »

My problem with the "He needs to look good so we look good" Thing is most people, the "masses", don't care. The logical connections are a little non-explosive so to speak. I'll say it like this: That the government has been taking information from companies to spy on you gets a "WOW" factor that persists even into the reading of the explanation, justifications, everything else. It's a "Someone, was spying on ME!" Instantly noticable, easily understandable. Something like him being a loser drop-out,this is less powerful, it gives you a "Whatevs" vibe, that persists. Problem is it only makes logical sense. It's a non-obvious implication. And non-obvious implications aren't wonderful for the media.

I mean it gives people who are smart enough to realize it satisfaction, but most newsies won't move to that until later, when people's minds have already been made up on the incident.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 12:42:09 am »

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/former-cia-officer-officials-considering-nsa-whistleblowers-case-potential-chinese-espionage/

So, who said China Spy?
No one, actually. Although points were made in the other thread as to his possible poor choice of location.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:47:10 am »

So "aiding the enemy" then?

Anyway misko, you're100% right, modern journalists barely reports the facts (when then don't just reprint something from AP), and don't analyze this. Which is why good pieces, like the one shared above, should be spread far and wide using our puny little social media.  :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 12:54:49 am »

There was a lovely little banner underneath the CNN screeny saying '[major/minor] mental health issues in the past, source says'.

Nobody said insane either! This is actually disappointing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:23 am »

... Also that one character from Catch-22.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:17 am »

Chinese spy was, sadly, going to be my second guess, but I only got to make one. :(

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:06 am »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:55 am »

Anybody else thing Snowden is actually a really awesome last name?
I mean I have been rolling with White as an alias because I thought it was good but fuck, Snowden is awesome and it is actually his real name!
Pronounced snow-dun.

I've heard of several people with that name.

It is also a very famous mountain in North Wales, though it is spelled Snowdon. It is likely that his family has some sort of connection to the area.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:37:20 am by Owlbread »

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 08:46:07 am »

The timing is interesting in regard to coinciding with the US-China summit and Bradley Manning Trial - in practical way.

US is trying to look like a good guy in whole cyber warfare debate and asking Chineese to extradict US citizen who has blown whistle on issues US themselves criticize would make diplomatic faux-pas, I believe. It wouldn't be good for mainland China - Hong kong relationship if Chineese were to make action on their own.

It's near place he has been assigned, it's not the West like Sweden so the risk of extradiction is lower than there but at the same time it is pretty much the most free place in China - place with under great international influence where whatever could happen to him wouldn't escape the eyes of international community. I am not sure it is perfect but the whole thing is off to an interesting start.

You know, I have made myself time for playing the first Deus Ex for the first time and having just recently passed the Hong Kong mission, where the place feels like one of the most free areas in the future world, this whole thing feels a bit like deja vu... all the mentions of increasing government surveillance and the system starting to live life of its own breaking loose the ties to the people which it was supposed to serve. The citation of a book "The Man Who Was Thursday", I believe, where they say that it will always be someone from within the system that puts the end to it. The mentions of a powerful AI built to intercept communications world-wide. It's good coincidence... well written fiction coming to life right in front of me as I explore the fictional world. :-)

Thankfully it's just a fiction... so far... but it's coming closer with each day and brings question on the nature of our modern society (and perhaps of human nature itself), questions which seem to closely related to the current happening.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:55:34 am by Tarqiup Inua »
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 09:07:58 am »

First, Human nature is a little away from the current topic, excepting in that we are humans, in which case everything is leading to a discussion on human nature.

Second, It's not really them intercepting per se. It's them keeping a database of info from companies to access later under court-ordered situations. Of course, it could be seen as them spying on everything you do ever, or as them doing what they usually do under the mandate of the courts It's in the middle, of course.

Thirdly, Hong Kong is very close to the US on Criminal and Intelligience Matters, and in terms of Foreign Policy they are considered China. Finally, given the recent Relationship building between Obama and Xi (I think it's important to keep in mind the Leaders, as this wasn't a policy exercise, it was a relationship based one), China would likely be MORE willing to give him up, wanting a little more leverage in other matters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38:51 am »

Wel, Obama and Xi are trying to build relationship. I still don't know if they'd give up Snowden, the guy, not without concessions at least.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 83