Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwelvers - Do more Evil  (Read 15716 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwelvers - Do more Evil
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:05:44 pm »

Dwelvers is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper.

Edit 21/12/2013

here's some of the latest screenshots (warning, large images)
Orc training:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orcs having a drink

The portal from the surface overlooking a cliff

An impanzee lair next to a waterfall

--- End of Edit --

Now, you might say that there’s already such a game that was successfully kickstarted some time ago called War of the Overlord, but there’s a difference between the two, a difference that, in my opinion, makes Dungeon Dwellers a more promising and faithful successor to the spirit, rather than to the mechanics, of Dungeon keeper.

Dungeon Keeper great promise and theme was in the building and managing of an underground evil dungeon, and while it got the building right, it completely neglected the managing aspect.

Dwelvers is adding a production lines system such that can be found in the Settlers or the Anno series. what that means, is that not only you will have to build a dungeon, you will have to build a self sufficient dungeon, one with emphasis on synergies between monsters, between monsters and resources, and between monsters and your enemies.

Some monsters will like other monsters, some will hate others, some monsters will like to reside deep, some will prefer the outskirts of the dungeon, some will prefer raw meat, some will prefer to chew on corpses and some will love beer. you will not just collect gold or have a farm to feed all your monsters, you will need to turn harvested wheat into flour and then haul it to a bakery to make bread, or, mix with water pumped from the river and make beer through a brewery, which means monsters will travel back and forth and materials will not be arbitrary numbers, but “physical” objects.
This is basically how it goes. a better, deeper, production and managing aspect of the dungeon. one that force you to think where to place rooms, which monsters to bring and where and what production to focus on.

Not just building a tower defense dungeon, but actually building a lair of living, underground evils, all with their own affiliations toward each other.
The developer behind it sound enthusiastic about making games in a cute, nerdy way, that is, to my eyes, the core spirit that drive indieness. the fact that he seem more than capable is another bonus. all in all, i see no reason not to back this one up and i already threw my 30$+ something toward it.

What i wish to see in this game is a deeper relation system between your monsters. how some will react differently to others. A dungeon is not, i mean, can not be, a communist colony, it is filled with loot loving monsters. monsters should not automatically love each other just because they have the same boss. they are semi - intelligent, self focused beasts. they should act accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:25:31 pm by burningpet »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile

IMHO "adding a production lines system" does not make it "a more promising and faithful successor to the spirit, rather than to the mechanics, of Dungeon keeper".

Anyway, thanks for the link! Nice find!
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my opinion, it does. the spirit of Dungeon Keeper is an Evil dungeon simulation, yet, Dungeon Keeper never simulated anything. with a production lines system such as this, and with monsters that prefer different food types, its a few steps closer to being a Dungeon Simulation, rather than a Dungeon/Tower defence game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, this does seem to be a more faithful successor. Consider it backed.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I am downloading the demo of it now, this looks awesome.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very interesting, ptw!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Well, I'll have to check it out.

It's good thing I have a decent paying job. Otherwise all these promising kickstarter games would bankrupt me!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Oh? Have people forgotten War For The Overworld already?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

He actually mentions it in this video.

This seems more like a resource management game than either DKII or WftOW. So to me I don't know if that makes it a more faithful successor or not. I'm leaning toward not. There was nothing in DK that was about production chains, at all. It was a creature wandering sim.

Either way, I don't really care whether or not it's "faithful", I care whether it's cool.

Automatically, I like the visuals in this way more than WftOW. WftOW still looks like a pre-alpha, while this manages to look like something more advanced.

I doubt I'll back because I'm not interested in donating to an on-going project that's not really playable yet. But it's nice to see the market filling up with games like this. I suppose if the demo really wows me I might consider it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:32:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile

Shut up and take my money.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He actually mentions it in this video.

This seems more like a resource management game than either DKII or WftOW. So to me I don't know if that makes it a more faithful successor or not. I'm leaning toward not. There was nothing in DK that was about production chains, at all. It was a creature wandering sim.

Either way, I don't really care whether or not it's "faithful", I care whether it's cool.

Automatically, I like the visuals in this way more than WftOW. WftOW still looks like a pre-alpha, while this manages to look like something more advanced.

I doubt I'll back because I'm not interested in donating to an on-going project that's not really playable yet. But it's nice to see the market filling up with games like this. I suppose if the demo really wows me I might consider it.

Yeah, i agree DK wasent about production chains, but what i think this game adds, through the production chains, is a method to force smart layout of the dungeons, and a more varied behaviour of the monsters (by having different monsters prefer different materials), and yes, while DK was really a creature wandering sim, i think this is a big part where it missed it potential of being bit more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Successor does imply that it does step up... So in what way does this game improve upon the Dungeon Keeper formula?

Yeah, i agree DK wasent about production chains, but what i think this game adds, through the production chains, is a method to force smart layout of the dungeons, and a more varied behaviour of the monsters (by having different monsters prefer different materials), and yes, while DK was really a creature wandering sim, i think this is a big part where it missed it potential of being bit more.

Well to admit don't forget that in the original dungeon keeper things so quickly outpace your traps and blockades that there almost was no reason to put them there. In fact many heroes were immune.

So methods to make dungeon construction purposeful beyond room layout would be nice.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I agree there, production chains can lend themselves to a more highly simulated environment. My worry, however, with games that emphasize resource management is that's where the fun ends up; what you can actually do with the resources is a smaller part of gameplay than simply managing them. Take DF for example. Resource management is huge in DF, it's a facet of gameplay unto itself. Yet there's plenty you can do with those resources, and plenty of gameplay hooks that play off it. If a dungeon game boils down to "keep your dudes fed so you can watch them work to keep your dudes fed", then resource production chains aren't adding a ton. If they help inform gameplay, and help you visualize the lives of these dungeon monsters (what I think these games really should be about), then it's a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:57:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game honestly isn't a successor to DK.

Having the same setting does not make something a successor. Having the same but superior gameplay does. Kinda like Towns isn't a successor to Majesty and WoW isn't a successor to Ultima Online and so on and so on.

That doesn't mean it can't be a great game though. Personally I am a fan of resource management. My favorite part of DK was mining gold.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game honestly isn't a successor to DK.

Having the same setting does not make something a successor. Having the same but superior gameplay does. Kinda like Towns isn't a successor to Majesty and WoW isn't a successor to Ultima Online and so on and so on.

That doesn't mean it can't be a great game though. Personally I am a fan of resource management. My favorite part of DK was mining gold.

Majesty, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, The Settlers and a bunch of others would like to have a word with you. (Which can be pretty hard, since i am not sure a discussion where one side just decides he can invent meanings on his own can go anywhere)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6