Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwelvers - Do more Evil  (Read 15715 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game honestly isn't a successor to DK.

Having the same setting does not make something a successor. Having the same but superior gameplay does. Kinda like Towns isn't a successor to Majesty and WoW isn't a successor to Ultima Online and so on and so on.

That doesn't mean it can't be a great game though. Personally I am a fan of resource management. My favorite part of DK was mining gold.

Majesty, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, The Settlers and a bunch of others would like to have a word with you. (Which can be pretty hard, since i am not sure a discussion where one side just decides he can invent meanings on his own can go anywhere)

You'll have to clarify that. I know its hard, clarity was never your strong suit. Are you implying that those series didn't have continuity gameplay wise with there sequels? That's all I can come up with for such a random selection. I've played the last 3 TES games and they are all pretty much the same. Not that sequels necessarily imply succession. Mass Effect is a garbage RPG. And Majesty 2 was pretty much a total repudiation of everything that made Majesty:TNE awesome.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From your argument, the definition of Successor is "Having the same but superior gameplay does."

Hence my list of successors with the same yet inferior gameplay.

If i wanted a successor which was succeeding its predecessor only by setting, i could just point you out to Fallout 3.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From your argument, the definition of Successor is "Having the same but superior gameplay does."

Hence my list of successors with the same yet inferior gameplay.

If i wanted a successor which was succeeding its predecessor only by setting, i could just point you out to Fallout 3.

Fine. Ideally superior. You can have good or bad successors. You can pull rule lawyering all you like but it just means you don't have anything better.

No one makes a sequel INTENDING to have inferior game play.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it was you who started with your nonsense, pointless, non contributing argument whether this game is a successor or not.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps you need to reread the thread title.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My god! I was being trolled and never realized it!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Ok, can we drop this now?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YES PLEASE!

So, ill start. By playing the demo some more and by playing Dungeons and watching War of the overlord footage, i must ask this: is it just me, or does all of them too damn dark to see anything?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I've been seeing that "Dungeon Keeper" style games are way to dark to see anything, even DK 2 was a bit too dark.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I will have this game's babies.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been seeing that "Dungeon Keeper" style games are way to dark to see anything, even DK 2 was a bit too dark.

Wasn't DK2 very brightly coloured compared to the dirty, dark themes of the first?

This does indeed look way too dark, but I am pretty confident he will introduce a brightness sliders by public demand.

BTW: My favourite thing about DK was that you could possess creatures and explore your dungeon.
Back when DK came out i was to amazed, I literally could not believe it was possible to walk around a dungeon you constructed yourself.
This also helped detract from the fact that the RTS battles in DK and DK2 was crap, but fun when you were possessing.
I really hope this features makes it's way into both new games in a meaningful way.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:27:18 am by ank »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

YES PLEASE!

So, ill start. By playing the demo some more and by playing Dungeons and watching War of the overlord footage, i must ask this: is it just me, or does all of them too damn dark to see anything?

+1. I haven't tried the DD demo yet, but everything does seem very dark. Even the mouse over glow doesn't seem to brighten things up. I feel a little sheepish saying that, as I normally prefer darker games.

Nothing a gamma setting can't correct though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Dwellers - Successor That is true in spirit, not just mechanics.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:07 pm »

Well, a lot has evolved since i last saw Dungeon Dwellers Indiegogo campaign, first, it kinda failed, second and closely related to first, we decided to financially support it.

So, right now i am very biased toward it and while we are not doing anything beside giving money to the developer, it still feel somewhat like a second baby..

Anyway, rasmus has just posted a new video with all the progress he has made. i personally recommend you watch the fishing animation closely as they are super cute.

Oh, if you may, please give your opinion on which art style you feel is better for the game (the link to an alternate version is shown in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDVpdqqB-k&feature=youtu.be

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Dwellers - Successor That is true in spirit, not just mechanics.
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 03:38:47 pm »

We've got a fresh video straight out of the oven.

This time featuring the Impanzees, horrible creatures that lurk the dungeons and like to stone down the poor imps.

It gets really bloody in those dungeons :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1b3T-gTf0s&feature=youtu.be

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Looks to be coming along beautifully.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6