Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: You are a Minister of Defense  (Read 6789 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minister of Defense
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2013, 01:30:05 pm »

Don't get me wrong, the point is valid: We may end up with very good tech really cheap. However, I think that for every He-178 we end up with ten Maus or Ratte, which at the current point strikes me a bit expensive. Still, as long as we don't develop the wrong ones ;-)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 11:20:51 pm »

I officially announce that for some time this will be one post per week, cause I have enough free time only during weekends
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:28 pm »

Our analysts say that we may expect nearly 2 battalions of professional soldiers if we'll manage to offer average salary of $100 per soldier per quarter. Offering $200 should lead to 5000 professionals

Prime Minister agrees to fund military related industries out from the regular military budget but we have no funds to finance more than one. He offers you to choose between canned fish industry, smokeless powder industry or horse breeders. Also, the PM is open for another suggestions.

Your advisers say you that while idea to use cars for logistics is an interesting choice, cost will be very due to many reasons. To supply one battalion with enough cars we'll need at least three millions of cash.

Construction of rudimentary military bases, barracks  and training centers has started, costing $500 000 from the budget

Capus can offer us such small arms:
Liberator rife
Short description: Old black-powder rifle. Insanely outdated
Traits: Unreliable(3), Inaccurate(2), Slow Reload(5), Short range (3)
Cost: Empire is offloading it's old stocks and they are ready to provide those for free

Enforcer rifle
Short description: Standard issue  rifle of the Empire. No major flaws except weight
Traits: Accurate(2), heavy(1)
Cost: $250 000 to equip a battalion

Enforcer(s) rifle
Short description: Lighter version of Enforcer, mostly used by cavalry units
Traits: Accurate(1)
Cost: $250 000 to equip a battalion

Storm SMG
Short description: That SMG wasn't adapted by Capus as it's generals decided that it is too expensive and lacks both stopping power and range to be of any use.
Traits: High RFM (2), Short range (4), Weak bullet (1)
Cost: $750 000 to equip a battalion

Morse machinegun
Heavy water cooled machine-gun, mostly used on prepared positions,  well tested and reliable
Traits: Heavy(3), Reliable(1), Durable (1)
Cost: $100 000 to equip a battalion (note that having more machineguns per battalion is not a bad idea)

Morse Mk2 machinegun
Modernized version of Morse machinegun, noticeably lighter, but more expensive to produce and less reliable
Traits: Heavy(1)
Cost: $150 000 to equip a battalion

H75 light howitzer
Descriptions: Brand new howitzer and you are quite surprised that Capus is ready to sell you some. Unfortunately no heavier guns are offered as it is assumed that we will not need it. Little they know
Traits: Light(2), Long range (1),  Easy to use (1)
Cost: $800 000  artillery battalion (battery)

Spent in the current year $.5 millions

Spoiler: unused manpower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: occupation forces (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: enforced limitations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:56:41 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 06:24:03 pm »

ok lets put a Liberator rife in the hands of ever man, woman and child that can lift one.

For better guns buy two lots of Enforcer rifles and some cheap handgrenades,
maybe get some Machine-guns and artillery.

Next year buy one lot of Storm SMGs and cars/trucks.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »

We should also fund the canned fish industry, it can increase the budget latter on.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 12:13:35 am »

Fund the canned fish industry. The horse breeders are going to be obsolete soon anyway, and smokeless powder is less important than rations. Furthermore, the canned fish has civilian application, which means more state money, which in turn mean more budget.

Buy two battalion worth of Enforcers, and a truckload of Liberators. Maybe four or five battalions. I'd rather have one good gun and four crap guns per five men than one good gun per five men and nothing else.
Plus, training.

Get two professional battalions for now.

And what about trucks? Does these even exist yet?

PS: please write budget in millions instead of billions. "we spent 0.0005 billions" is less lisible than "we spent 0.5 millions"
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 01:40:39 am »

ok lets put a Liberator rife in the hands of ever man, woman and child that can lift one.

Next year buy one lot of Storm SMGs and cars/trucks.

This man speaks truth. Liberators all around, Enforcers for the troops, SMGs once we have more money. They're perfect for trench warfare and urban conditions.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 04:07:52 am »

I agree on that.

What we do need more than SMGs or trucks, however, is machine guns and artillery. Those win the war, ultimately.
Let's look at the budget: We have 10 millions to spend.
To choose: Either two battalions or five battalions of soldiers, which are 0.8m or 4m per year.
Going with the higher number, that'd leave us with 6m to spend each year on equipment and so on, of which enforcer rifles are 1.25m. Infrastructure we already construct are 0.5m. So, that'd leave us with 4.25m for this year, from which we need to finance machine guns and artillery. That should be doable.
Alternatively, the cheaper variant is 0.8m, plus 0.5m for infrastructure plus another 0.5m for rifles for two battalions. That leaves us 8.2m, but less than half the professional army size.

I'd go for the first one.
Oh, and canned fish industry.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 05:42:19 am »

This man speaks truth. Liberators all around
what the hell? I agree with a bunch of liberators for those making their military service, but for literally everyone, including the childrens? Hell no!
I smell firearms regulation debate... Oops...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:45 am »

Besides, I doubt Capus is going to sell us more weapons than we're allowed to have soldiers. Seems a little bit suspicious.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:04 pm »

It is 1910, arms control is not really a thing yet, and the Liberator is an ancient weapon anyway.
the reason we need then for hunting and target shooting. 
ok so we can restrict access to over 16s with out a criminal record.

my plan uprising plan is to have:
The willing workers of the glorious day of liberation armed mob with Liberators
Noble guards men of the liberation conscripts to both hold the liberated areas and support the professionals, for this they need ether Liberator or Enforcers, any other small arms we can get.

The glorious warriors at the vanguard of liberation professional soldiers with motor transport and our best weapons, used to smash holes in the front line.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:51:21 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »

Still,
Capus says: You can have a maximum of 10 000 soldiers
We say: Ok, can we please have 20 000 guns

Something shouldn't feel right here. And since Capus is giving them for free, I doubt they'll be willing to give us more than the bare minimum.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »

There really crappy guns that where out of date back in 1860!
Capus hopes that we will adopt them as our stranded gun. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 01:23:54 pm »

There really crappy guns that where out of date back in 1860!
Capus hopes that we will adopt them as our stranded gun. 
Yes. But why would they give us more guns than we need. No reason for that. After all, the only moment we could use them is when we break their regulations = A revolution.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 01:52:18 pm »

Ebbor, there is nothing strange about have a large surplus of weapons and with weapons this old it would be cheaper to replace them the repair them.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6