Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.2: Meanwhile...  (Read 11267 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.1: Memory on the water
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:40 pm »

The grin dropped from Konicek's face and he scowled.
"Here's where your logic fails, halfblood: that thing down there has to die. It's no more self defence than the beetles you sliced up earlier. You aren't leaving this crows-damned rock without this ship, and the ship isn't leaving without the water drained. So sooner or later, you'd have to go down there. And yet you'll leave your companions to die because of being craven. So if we go down and we needed another? You'd have lost your precious chance to get off this 'godforsaken floating island', because this chance - this chance is one-time only.
Konicek's voice dropped to a growl.
"You don't fight for honour. That's fine for a halfblood. But you fight for gain, and you willing to throw your chance away for a few nerves."
He turned and said dismissively over his shoulder "Go then, halfblood. Find us an engine or a crew. I'll deal with what you cannot."
Konicek peered down, trying to see what lurked below.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:08 pm »

Durham's eyes fluttered at the mention of his cravenness.

"Oh. What is this? You think the three of you are not sufficient enough to deal with an under-ship beast? Surely with your mighty weapon and intimidating demeanor, you may slay it."

Nonetheless, Durham abstained. He genuinely was frightened at the thought of losing his life - or, worse, all of the crew's lives. If they died where he did not, he could find other shipmates. If he died where they did not, he'd never get to see the rest of Tempus.

Konicek had a point, but Durham suspected the two of them just didn't share the same values. Perhaps, in whatever culture Konicek was raised in, fighting and dying with your allies was honorable or at least rewarded. But the half-elf didn't care about his standing with the group. All these things were mere social nuances invented to manipulate people into following along with their herd, and he was going to be doing the manipulating around here. Not some smelly Human warrior.

Durham instead headed out to tie up loose ends on his own. First off, he left the ship and tried to find this "Captain Seuche" which the sly Dwarf had made out to be some sort of skyship mob lord type figure. Perhaps he could ease her over.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2013, 06:57:16 am »

Durham leaves the party, perhaps out of equal parts self preservation and fear. It remains to be seen how exactly our heroes will triumph over their first test if they do not work together...

[?]

He makes his way up the 'wharf' to the area where the larger riftcutters are moored, wondering that at one point, Ample must have been a port town-the docks that once stretched over clean seas now hang over the abyss. It seems not an accident, but something done on purpose...

He is startled from his inner thoughts by a swift and slight figure approaching him casually from the shadows of a nearby crumbling tower. It seems to be a attractive woman, wearing a heavy brown cloak that hides the upper half her face in shadow, and any weapons or equipment she may be carrying-you find her heavy and well defined features intriguing, not only for the allure of a half-glimpsed beauty, but that her smirk seems to rival your own.

She stops a spearslength away, gloved hands on her hips.

"Durham Westfall." she says, as if savoring the word. Her voice is smooth and melodious, cultured and refined. "That's you, am I correct?" She asks-but in such a matter that you suspect she already knows.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tempus Fugit: D&D 3.5 PBP-Chapter 1.1: Cross purposes
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2013, 07:21:30 am »

Quietly fuming, Konicek looking down, trying to see the conditions on the lower level. He ignored the shocked silence of his companions.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:29 am »

Konicek fumes in silence, peering down the stairwell carefully.

The first things he sees are those that will effect the fight to come-the water on the bottommost level is almost up to knee level, and will make any fighting that much more difficult. The vegetation is also thicker and more overgrown, pale and fungus like from growing with a lack of sun, and could conceal any number of threats. The area is fairly wide open, being little more than a large cargo bay-and though he does wish to stretch his neck out too far, he notes there is a slight slant towards the bow area, where the majority of the swamp matter has collected and the water is the deepest. This is where the beast must have nested. He sees only a unmoving shadow under the murky water there, along with the occasional pop and burble to indicate it's deeper presence.

He looks the other way-the stern end is blocked off by a double-door. The left door hangs slightly askew, choked with mud and open-as if something probed inside forcefully but gave up before bothering any further. He can see an empty rack on the other side of the room through the narrow slot, like the sort used for storing wine, or holding weapons.

There is a strong smell in this room he can only liken to fish left rotting in the sun.

At this point, he hears a very loud grumbling pop from the sleeping thing, and carefully withdraws.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:40:56 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2013, 07:42:15 am »

Morazin shakes his head. You know, you really didn't need to go THAT far. He wasn't being cowardly, just cautious."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2013, 08:07:13 am »

Konicek humphed. "It is better to die at the side of your allies than to cower and live alone."
He leant back from the foul odours bubbling up from below. "To do otherwise is dishonourable. I remember nothing but battle and my quest. My honour is all I have."

Quickly, he explained what he had seen. "I have a plan. Morazin, have you any method of attack bar your fire? That won't be effective against a beast underwater.
If both me and the gnome - Sabio, isn't it? - head to stern, I can bash through the doors and we can hold the beast in the doorway. While we distract it, you can dash to the lever and drain the water. Then it'll either suffocate or be unable to move. Then we cut it to pieces. What do you think?
"

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2013, 08:20:28 am »

"Yes, Milady," Durham bowed very briefly. Something about the Captain was strange in a way he could not articulate. "Why don't you and I get away from the hustle and bustle of the port city's edge? Have a nice chat over dinner, if you will. Some place decent."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 08:22:15 am »

"Only a tome of fire in my pack. I'll still be able to fry any tentacles that come up after me, though." Morazin thinks about the plan for a moment. "I can't think of any other plan, other than light the wall lichen on fire for lighting, so I say we go with this idea."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 09:00:01 am »

"Yes, Milady," Durham bowed very briefly. Something about the Captain was strange in a way he could not articulate. "Why don't you and I get away from the hustle and bustle of the port city's edge? Have a nice chat over dinner, if you will. Some place decent."

((Note, this is not Captain Seuche :P Yon ran afoul of my random encounter roller))

"Decent? Not likely around here. And, you don't even know who I am. That being said, I like a bold man...would that we could meet in other circumstances, I might take you up on it..." She says pointedly, smiling perhaps a bit in regret.

"That being said, I doubt either of us will enjoy this specific chat very much."

From the depths of her cloak, she reaches, and when her hands come back out she's drawing them fitted with bladed finger-claws. They twinkle dangerously in the light. Though her form doesn't seem to shift, you get the feeling she's dropped into a ready combat position.

"I do not know why it is, whoever it is wants you captured, but they do, and alive-if possible, they said. I'm merely doing a job, nothing personal. I'd prefer not to have to take you in pieces, but...the next move is yours.

Since I like you, I'll say that most people call me 'Thrush'. No terribly inventive, but it lends a certain thematic flair to my profession. What can I say? People seem to enjoy hiring avian themed assassins."

She smiles once more, but this time it's as cold as ice.

Though this 'Thrush' still gives the appearance of on who is completely relaxed, the hairs on the back your neck still stand up.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2013, 09:08:48 am »

"Thrush, hm? Oh, come now. It would such a sorry sight if a lovely girl like you fell to my blade." Durham looked around the wharf. "Where's your allies? The rest of the assassins? Don't tell me you came alone."

Durham reached for the Cat's Paw but did not yet take initiative.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:56 am »

"And, it'd be a true shame if I had slice up such a handsome man.

As for the others...I couldn't really tell you. I'm not sure if I'm the only one they gave this job-depends on how much they hate you, really..."

[?]

You have no idea if she's telling the truth or not.

Thrush begins to circle slightly to your left, though the movement of her feet and body is nearly impossible to see underneath her cloak.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:52 am »

Durham also begins moving, first in a backward motion away from Thrush then in a circle, poorly attempting to mirror her movements with his own.

"I know who gave you the job. Real nasty fellows - maybe you don't know them very well. You got any family, Thrush?" Durham raises Cat's Paw to his face. "Any family they might look into just in case you screw up or drop the job? You know. Those kind of employers."

((Bluff check))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2013, 10:45:35 am »

Bluff 6+14=20 vs Sense Motive 4+13=17

The woman seems to pause at your words, if only for a moment.

"All the more reason for me to do the job right then, wouldn't you say?"

[12]

She continues her slow circle, watching you carefully.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:57 am »

Durham nods. Careful, careful.

"Sure. All the more reason. But! Perhaps, let's say, you underestimate me. For a moment, let's say that, instead of walking into your trap, you have instead walked into mine." He makes sure not to change his expression as they circle each other. "I take your throat. That's expected. You may be fine with that, even: all part of the job, right? But - but what if it's not merely your throat being taken? Are you prepared to be responsible for that?"

(('Nother bluff check :P))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11