Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minecart !!Science!! What happens when magma and water meet  (Read 3034 times)

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dropped a minecart filled with water [833] into a 1x1 room and then filled the room with magma.  The water turned to steam and the minecart filled with magma [833].

I haven't done the reciprocal yet.  Right now I need that magma to plug a leak that keeps shutting down my DWR.

I searched for 'minecart' 'water' and 'magma' and out of over 100 hits no one spoke of this.  Am I truely the first?

Tests performed:
  • Water filled minecart, flooded with magma (1x1 room).
    • Water replaced with magma.  Steam produced.
  • Water filled minecart, dropped into magma (1x1 room) from 1z level above.
    • Initially water not replaced with magma.  No Steam.
    • 1000 ticks later the water was replaced with magma and steam was produced.
  • Water filled minecart, dropped into magma (1x1 room) from 2z levels above.
    • Initially water not replaced with magma.  Magma mist produce 1z level above pool.  No steam.
    • 50 ticks later steam was produced and the water became replaced with magma.
  • Water filled minecart, dropped into magma (1x1 room) from 3z levels above.
    • Initially water not replaced with magma.  Magma mist produce 1z level above pool.  No steam.
    • 260 ticks later steam was produced and the water became replaced with magma.

Tests yet to be performed:
  • magma filled minecart, flood with water.
  • magma filled minecart, dropped into magma.

I used a pump to flood the room.  The method of flooding and the size of the room may matter as well.  I say this because my pump uses a wooden pipe and it's fine as long as the room is 1x1.  I deconstructed one of the walls of the room and even though the lava did not flow over the pump it still caught on fire.  Only the obsidian block and the iron corkscrew where left.

I'm using DF version 34.11.

[edited for spelling]
[edited to reflect results]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:32:30 pm by Hamiltonz »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart !!Science!! What happens when magma and water meet
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »

It has minecarts and it has magma. I can sense glorius ways to weaponize this.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:40:38 pm »

Hmm... I'm gonna guess if you do the reciprocal, the exact same thing will happen (the water will turn to steam and the cart will fill with magma).  Good substitute for a !!lignite!! bin.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »

I do know that if you drop fluids onto other fluids, they must free-fall for at least 1 z-level through open space before contact, or you'll get steam and no obsidian, almost no matter what. So you may want to factor that into your designs.

Other than that, good work sir, proceed with the !!SCIENCE!!.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »

This leads to an interesting set of questions.
The most pressing being: does a magma filled minecart radiate heat, like a !!artifact!!, or a !!lignite bin!! Does?

If so, this holds interesting promise as a steam generator that has easy cleanup.  The dunking of the magma cart into water failing to produce obsidian in the cart suggests that as long as the water stays under 7/7, and thus not flowing into the cart, the cart will act as a movable heat source.

Pouring a thin stream of water into a room filled with parked magma carts should produce copious amounts of steam, and should let you vent the steam upstairs through floor vents.

I have another experiment for you though.

Coke bars, or charcoal bars, loaded in magma safe cart, dipped in magma.
Do the bars become !!bars!! ?  If so, the smoke production could have some interesting properties.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »

..........these forums are a terrifying magical place full of wack jobs magical people who should be brutally murdered awarded Nobel Prizes.

Always good for a few laughs.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »

..........these forums are a terrifying magical place full of wack jobs magical people who should be brutally murdered awarded Nobel Prizes.

Always good for a few laughs.

Brutally murdered for boiling water? Let me call England and warn them...
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »

A simple mod to make steam have a temperature of 1000000 urist will make the steam vents deadly. ;D

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »

I just dropped a minecart filled with water [833] into a standing pool of magma (1x1 room).  Nothing happened.  I will edit the first post to reflect this.

Spoke too soon.  It didn't happen right away but eventually the water turned to steam and the magma filled the minecart.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:43:28 pm by Hamiltonz »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 11:40:26 pm »

A simple mod to make steam have a temperature of 1000000 urist will make the steam vents deadly. ;D

Modding things (just) to make them weaponizable is cheating.

Wouldn't a magma cart be hot enough to ignite the clothing of goblins walking through the same tile, though?  Of course there are already plenty of horrible things that magma and minecarts can do to goblins, but this might be easier.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 03:02:19 pm »

[Cheating]

Not really. Steam used to be deadly, and IRL, steam *is* deadly.

There is a misconception at work in the game, that steam must be at exactly the boiling point of water, (100 deg C), but this is incorrect. Steam is capable of being much, much hotter than this, and will reach the same temp as the heat source if held in a pressurized system. Even when not pressurized, there is a 9-fold increase in thermal energy in steam vs that of the same weight of water at the boiling point. That extra energy is released as the heat of condensation.

The heat of vaporization and the heat of condensation are the same for any given substance, and this transfer of energy can be readily seen in the inverse sitution by putting water inside a vacuum chamber where it will first boil, then freeze, as the energy in the water is transfered to the vapor as the pressure drops.

The inverse happens (the water temperature at the condensation surface) as well. This is why pressurized steam reaches temperatures greatly in excess of 100c.

Hint*  a steam generator room with sealed exits and tiny outlet ports is a pressurized system. The steam will reach the same temp as the magma in the chamber before exiting, and will have a heat of condenation 9x as high.

Making steam have a temperature that high is not cheating, it is adding more realism. :D

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:16:10 pm by wierd »

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:40:02 pm »

More data.  I used the one step key and counted 1000 ticks before the water turned to steam in a mainecar dropped into a 1x1 room full of magma.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 06:59:10 pm »

what about magma filled cart in a room of water?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:13:02 pm »

what about magma filled cart in a room of water?
So far nothing.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 09:36:25 pm »

I burned my arm while making a cup of tea once, went to grab milk or sugar or something and the steam was seriously hot for some reason. I believe the kettle was boiling for ages (i was a little out of it). So thanks wierd for explaining why! (It was a bad burn, thought it wasn't too bad but after a while the burn area literally started to blister/melt away)

If you go outside remember to stay vigilant against the steam menace out there.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:38:05 pm by Mudcrab »
Pages: [1] 2