Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minecart !!Science!! What happens when magma and water meet  (Read 3030 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Minecart !!Science!! What happens when magma and water meet
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 09:59:40 pm »

I burned my arm while making a cup of tea once, went to grab milk or sugar or something and the steam was seriously hot for some reason. I believe the kettle was boiling for ages (i was a little out of it). So thanks wierd for explaining why! (It was a bad burn, thought it wasn't too bad but after a while the burn area literally started to blister/melt away)

If you go outside remember to stay vigilant against the steam menace out there.
Sigged lol. Also PTW O:
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:40 am »

A simple mod to make steam have a temperature of 1000000 urist will make the steam vents deadly. ;D

steam isn't moddable

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »

I just dropped a minecart filled with water [833] into a standing pool of magma (1x1 room) from 2z levels abouve the pool.  Nothing happened at first, vut 50 ricks later the water turned into steam and the minecart became filled with magma [833].  I will edit the first post to reflect this.

Suoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »

Apparently, a wooden wine barrel will explode if it contacts magma. What happens if you load a barrel(s) into a cart and then submerge the cart?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 04:48:46 pm »

There are no explosions in DF, just evaporation.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »

Have you ever used 1 filled magma cart and 1 filled water cart, and made them collide head-on? If so, out of curiosity, then what was the result like? Does the result change at varying velocities?

What about using a water gun on a stationary magma cart, or a magma gun on a stationary water cart?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:45 am »

My belief is that water and magma will only react when they're in the form of a fluid.  Water and magma are items when in minecarts and projectiles when launched from a minecart, so I wouldn't expect any obsidianising under those conditions.  I am curious about the consequences of dumping (or launching) water or magma into a tile already filled with the other fluid, however.  (Will it replace the other fluid, create obsidian, create steam, or disappear entirely?)
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.
Pages: 1 [2]