Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF  (Read 22085 times)

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 08:27:50 pm »

Smashed some cats.
Dropped some cats into caverns.
Smashed a cat owner.
Tortured prisoners via beat-squad.
Dropped prisoners off a 50 z-level high execution tower.
Drowned prisoners in a drowning chamber.
Executed prisoners via firing squad.
Executed prisoners via megabeast.
Executed prisoners via pack of war dogs.
Sent baby-carrying mothers into battle.
Sent baby-carrying mothers into danger rooms.
Left the corpses of children to rot in the fields.
Appointed a Captain of the Guard.
Smashed a permanently paralyzed dwarf.
Unleashed hell.
Murdered elven traders.
Captured hostile elves (part of the goblin civ) in cages, where they then died of their wounds.  I built the cages as gibbets to line the entrance to my trade depot.

I once tried to build superjail, but got stalled in the construction phase.

I guess I've never done anything too horrible... dang.

Yes you haven't done anything particularly evil. On the bright side though, you probably did exactly what Rainbow Dash would if she got her hooves on a copy of the game. Bravo.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2013, 08:29:22 pm »

Actually all her dwarves would starve to death because she can't type because she has hooves and not fingers.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2013, 10:17:32 pm »

Pegasi can use their feathers for that, dipstick.  ;D

Kazimuth

• Bay Watcher
  • [ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2013, 11:49:46 pm »

I generally try to be nice to my dwarves, but I've done quite a lot of horrible things to them by accident.  :D

In my first really functional fort, I had an drawbridge that opened outwards; my original idea was to have it double as a catapult in case enemies got uncomfortably close. Well, it did. A herd of zombies showed up and started lurching at me so I had the bridge raised... right while a mother and her new baby were running across it. They got flung right into the middle of the zombie pack. The mother died on impact, but the baby wasn't so lucky (he got torn to shreds). This of course happened right in front of the baby's father, an archer hiding behind my fortifications, so he immediately started tantrumming, and everything went downhill from there. That was pretty terrible...

But what really sealed the deal for awfulness was, going through the combat logs afterwards, finding this:
"The head of Urist McDeadBaby latches on firmly to the sleeve of Urist McBabyDaddy! Urist McBabyDaddy has gone berzerk!"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:51:52 pm by Kazimuth »
I'm not sure this was a good idea

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 12:27:00 am »

Perhaps some of the worst things I've done:
used goblin (or even better, troll) corpses and body parts as projectiles on other goblins
ordering a dwarf child outside (using a deconstruct designation) in syndrome rain to test it's effects
purging engravers for creating undwarfy artwork (a dwarf embracing chickens, or a dwarf terrified by mosquitoes, or the god of fortresses and jewels weeping)
forgetting to bring picks (or an anvil) in a custom embark.
Never winning against hell.  :(

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 01:15:14 am »

That makes no sense.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:05 am »

All children are used for experimentation with forgotten beast blood or just dumped into magma. Anyone with low skills or stats is forced to work without food or conscripted.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:01 am »

I give elves masterwork elf roasts. And I give elves the old armor they use. Through a minecart. dropping from the sky.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 08:43:57 am »

I send children that annoy me to the daycare.

And that means I send all children to the daycare.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »

That makes no sense.

Of course not. They're make-believe Ponies (capitalized) and therefore no sense is to be made. Just like elves and dwarves.

Closing THIS line of conversation before an off-topic bitchfest is started. (Probably by me, most likely.)

Also. I approve of the purging of engravers for creating un-dwarvenly work.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:59 pm »

That makes no sense.

Of course not. They're make-believe Ponies (capitalized) and therefore no sense is to be made. Just like elves and dwarves.

Closing THIS line of conversation before an off-topic bitchfest is started. (Probably by me, most likely.)

Also. I approve of the purging of engravers for creating un-dwarvenly work.

Eh, I would've taken it to PMs had I felt the need to continue it.  :P

On topic:  Worst I've done (so far) is consign several reclamation teams to hunger and thirst in an effort to create a frigid tomb-city in which an actual settlement could later be attempted.

Now that I've modded my dorfs to accept cannibalism, I'm gonna go try it again.  :D

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 03:17:22 pm »

Well I like my forts tidy.  So I generally murder all the pets and children cluttering up the place.

For a while, my standard procedure was to built a column of stairs up to the skybox and then build a bridge and set a burrow for all the pets/kids.  Set a station order at the base of the tower, everyone in my forts is in the militia, and then make it rain.  Good times.

Then v34 came and they started surviving the the fall.  At first I was annoyed, then I realized, free medical training! 

So now I project them from the "Happy Place", that what the burrow is always named, and reset.  All the ones not too crippled crawl back to the burrow.  Rinse and repeat until they are all dead or in the hospital.

I suppose the horrible part is I make sure everyone else is watching when they plummet.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2013, 06:08:21 pm »

Actually all her dwarves would starve to death because she can't type because she has hooves and not fingers.
That doesn't stop Strongbad from typing with boxing gloves on, though.

As for horrible dwarf things, I usually set up an execution pit around 10 z-levels deep with one dangerous animal at the bottom to finish off dropped prisoners. Not all that bad, but this one time, I got a giant copperhead snake for pit duty while playing Masterwork.

By the time the fort fell, the pit was drenched in red and purple blood and vomit and rotting corpses, and there was almost always a cloud of miasma through which new prisoners had to drop into. It would've sucked to be one of those goblins falling down into a stinking cloud that obscures all vision, only for them to collide with the floor and break their legs* before getting jumped by a giant venomous snake they couldn't fight. The snake had a tendency to draw fights out as it tore off goblin limbs and inject venom into their blood. It was fun to watch.

*goblins didn't always break legs. At one point a goblin broke his left and right buttcheeks, nothing else. Another time a chump fell on the snake, facefirst, and caved his head in. The snake recovered.

I can't recall anything else really "terrible" but then again I haven't played DF in a while.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2013, 03:27:19 am »

I keep coming up with ideas that'll require cruelty to my citizens, but the complicated ones rarely come to fruition: Oilgulfs (a perfect randomly generated name) was going to be a candy-mine blowout from an offshore platform before crashes and terrible FPS forced me to abandon, the pony vault experiment's been on the back burner for months, and I've started three fortresses so far with the intent of running a segregated society only to build an egalitarian paradise.

Oh, there are little incidents like the time I executed a vampire that'd almost finished its sentence by walling it into a room and shooting it repeatedly with a ballista or the several times that, in a fit of pique, I've locked out soldiers whose dawdling or ineptitude had allowed their squads to be killed, but the former was a kindness compared to a lifetime without booze and the latter permitted the dwarves (and one pony, at Friendlymurders) to be remembered with honor, rather than sending them to toil at the worst of jobs in boozeless obscurity before dumping them in a pauper's grave.

My worst atrocities have all been in adventure mode (spending 36 hours murdering townsfolk with a stolen crutch, attempting to break every bone or sever every limb without letting my victim die, etc), but the deed that made me feel worst happened in my very first fortress:

Sibrek of the Sewers

It was the seventh day of Obsidian in the year 209. Sibrek Ingizmonom, a tax collector sent from the mountainhomes, had arrived in Tonerazors with the then-Countess (promoted from Baroness before she reached the gate) Alathadek in the spring of 208 and had been living quietly and unremarkably ever since. Perhaps she was feeling neglected? Maybe she had neglected to survey the mines? Whatever the cause, on this day she sealed her fate by mandating the construction of three adamantine items, despite no adamantine to be found on the map.

I'd grown to like Sibrek, but I couldn't let her subject a random smith to the vagaries of Dwarven Justice, so it was with a heavy heart that I began the construction of her tomb. I allowed her to live as long as I could, but on the 2nd of Hematite 210 her time was up. A pretense was created, taking advantage of her desire to be "one of the regular dwarves", and soon enough she was inspecting a plumbing access chamber adjacent to the nobles' quarters. While there, she pulled a lever, locking herself in the chamber.

Nobody knows what went through her head -- did she panic? did she keep a level head? did she even notice the well-oiled door sliding shut? -- but the investigators were quite certain that she pulled the second lever, opening the small service chamber to a deep pipe currently connected to the bottom of the #3 reservoir.

The control room crew shut the supply valve and started the pumps as soon as they realized what had occurred, but they all knew it would take longer to drain the system than poor Sibrek had. (They could have opened auxiliary drain valves to lower the water level, but had they done so, the duchess would have realized that the sump drain system in her quarters wasn't exactly the safety feature it'd been explained to her as.) She drowned on the fourth of Hematite, but it wasn't until several days later that the water level was low enough that a work crew could enter to recover her body.

I'd intended this to be a quick, clean death, but Sibrek took much longer to drown than I'd expected, and I felt a little bad about it as she floated there. She got her revenge, though: not long after I got her buried, and while I was working on the drowning trap near what was to be my new caravan entrance, the game became unstable, consistently crashing in mid-Malachite. Thus ended my first and only 40d fort. I like to imagine that dwarves still tell stories of how Sibrek's angry ghost haunts the plumbing deep within the ruins of Tonerazors.

Of course, just because I felt bad about Sibrek (even before she crashed the game) doesn't mean I don't take joy in slaughter. I've built some sophisticated devices, but I like the cruel simplicity of:

The Pit

Deep beneath the mighty stronghold Drownedfiends lies the Pit, an unhallowed temple to Reb Irumnohus the towering eyeless alligator and Oddom Dumatshameb the janitor whose brave sacrifice bought time to contain Reb. Prisoners, still in their cages, were taken deep into the mines before passing frightening statues and a series of lead doors. There they languished, sometimes for years. The lucky ones were eventually taken to an adjacent chamber and killed, their screams audible to their compatriots, but some were brought one-by-one to the sacrificial chamber and thrown them through a hatch. A system of additional hatches gave them a controlled and mostly-survivable descent to land on top of a dead goblin in the shallow water below. These crippled prisoners soon found they were sharing their oubliette with Reb.

Unfortunately, I'd failed to notice a tree had grown in the narrow corridor, so all Reb could do was glower and roar menacingly. In hindsight, this makes their fate all the more horrible: goblins are (if memory serves) immortal, so these victims are trapped forever, in the dark, forgotten to goblinkind, listening to the growling and snarling of a creature that Should Not Be as they lie in a corner or pace their narrow, muddy cell on limbs that were once broken and never healed right. I'd imagine they'd lose their minds after a few decades.

Addendum: The Breeding Project

I was about to post this when I realized I'd completely forgotten this. In Friendlymurders, I'd built up a decent population of prisoners despite routine executions militia training escape incidents, and I'd filled the lower dining room with piles of enemies' bones behind fine glass windows, but this atrocity started out as a mere industrial process: I'd decided to build a GCS-silk farm, and for a target I selected a random white tigerwoman (from the Fortress Defense mod).

She'd been sealed in there with a giant cave spider blasting silk at her for a while when I received a notification that she'd given birth. The cubs, friendly to my civilization, turned on their own mother in a bloody battle. She killed one, but the other newborn slew its mother. What a warrior! I had a new mascot! Unfortunately I squished it beneath a bridge while attempting to get it out.

Up to now this had been a minor atrocity and an unfortunate accident, but I saw the potential. I had my miners dig out a series of chambers between the silk farm and the prisoner storage. Each chamber was fitted with a single chain and a door to block sight to the corridor. I went through my prisoner stockpiles and assigned all the surviving female Fortress Defense creatures to these chains, and I waited. Sure enough, before long a white tigerwoman was impregnated and gave birth to several cubs. They killed their mother, of course, but it was a net gain.

Unfortunately my plan didn't pan out: while they were friendly and remained so when their people lay siege to Friendlymurders above, they were neither citizens nor pets. I couldn't find any way to move them around, and the breeding center was hidden in the deeps, where such shameful things belong. The breeding project was deemed a failure, but while the project was indeed an atrocity, it was not the most horrible part of the story.

The worst part was that after all this I kept the breeding center running.

error404

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2013, 04:22:04 am »

I, as do many of you, despise dwarf children. However, my response was to allow for 100 children. What did I do with these bratty dwarf children which consumed much of the vital alcohol in my fortress? I found a simple solution. I had the 50 adult dwarfs and among them fifteen miners of various caliber. My solution was to have them open up 1x2x1 "rooms" for each of the kids. The next step was to place doors to keep them from all going back into the dining room around which they were arranged. I then designated each one as a bedroom of one of the children and sent the monstrosities to their rooms without supper. Of course to keep them there, I locked the doors. Their parents would dine listening to their children scream for food until they died of dehydration. When a new wave of immigrants came with children, I lengthened my dining hall and repeated.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7