Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF  (Read 22075 times)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:54:43 am »

Therefore, I set up a ballista in the dining hall during a party.

This is probably one of the most awesome things ever done in the Dwarf Fortress. Finally we found good way to use ballistas!

I once atom smashed babies and children. All of them. Mothers get over it quicky because of legendary dining room.

Sometimes I exile idiots into the caverns. Usually if some dwarf fails something very important, or is just plain idiot (nobles, I'm looking at you). I make them their own squads and make them take some food and water with them, so they won't starve so fast and they have to wrestle all cavern monsters longer.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 08:12:31 am »

This is by far the most horrible thing posted so far.  I think this one wins.

It's always the thing I remember when I consider how raw and brutal DF can be. The possibility of things like this happening (and doing it yourself in adventure mode) would probably get it banned in so many countries.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 08:41:32 am »

I think the worst thing I've done was killing a caravan for RP purposes in a community fort.  I'm generally too nice to my virtual citizens to do terrible things to them.  Or caravans.

That does remind me of some things I've done with DFHack though.  Stuff like deleting babies from pregnant mothers (4 babies is enough), attempting to make males pregnant, marrying dwarves to each other when they had no interest and a lot of other general strangeness with relationships (having a lover and spouse is perfectly fine).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 08:48:47 am »

Oh! There was also this time I sealed up my fort after the second migrant wave, leaving all incoming Demonbloods outside to fend for themselves. Eventually I took pity on them and had them construct a fishery so as to not starve. And then I had them build wooden houses.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 09:04:12 am »

I gathered over 30 cats on a retracting bridge over my gates. Then dropped them on gobbos to just buy some time.
4 gobbos had their spines broken, one bleeded out.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 09:43:53 am »

I wanted some interesting engravings, so I decided to give my dwarves something to watch in the hope that they would carve it.  I built my fortress with a 40 tile long entrance hall.  I then channeled the floor and put retracting bridges over it.  I did the same on the next lower level.  And on the level under that, I put some upright spikes linked to a repeater.  On the side of my "holding chamber" and "blending chamber", I put fortifications, and windows behind those fortifications, and an observation hall behind those windows. 

So, over the course of several years, whenever a siege or ambush squad would show up, I would drop them into the holding chamber.  The benefit of a holding chamber is that the siegers don't retreat since technically, nobody is dead, yet.  I built up a sizable army of one or two hundred goblins in my holding chamber.  Again, after a number of years, I decreed it ready.  I took a handful of dogs, and pastured them in the entrance hall.  I drafted my engravers and stationed them in the observation chamber, and then locked the door.  I then pulled the lever, dropping the dogs into the mix of goblins.  The goblins tore them apart almost instantly.  Anyway, while this was not a nice thing to do, I wouldn't consider it particularly horrible; however, I neglected to mention one rather crucial detail.  I had embarked in a reanimating biome.  The dogs came back to life.  4 zombies vs. 200 goblins?  They died pretty quick again.  However, the dogs would not stay dead.  Until one of them got lucky, and managed to tear an arm off one of the gobs.  Slowly, but surely, the chewed and ripped off limbs overcame the hundreds of goblins.  It was difficult to see what was going on through all of the miasma.  All I know is that the number of goblins dropped.  Slowly at first, but more and more quickly. 

Once all that was left was a bunch of zombie limbs and corpses, I allowed my engravers to leave while I prepared the next stage.  I dropped the zombies to the bottom level, and turned on the automated spikes, thinking that eventually the pieces would start to rot away.  (Incidentally, they didn't.  I just got more pieces.)

So, I started gathering sieges again.  After a few more years, I had hundreds of goblins.  I like to think that they could hear the sounds coming from the chamber below.  I once again stationed my engravers, this time in the lower observation chamber.  I then dropped the new goblins in to pit of repeating pikes and zombie limbs.  It was over very quickly. 

So, after years of preparation, I considered my engravers ready.  They had honed their art smoothing the entire fortress.  They had watched hundreds of goblins getting torn to pieces by the undead.  The images surely must be etched upon their psyches.  I had them start engraving the trade depot first.  Nothing but circles, dwarves travelling, a titan moving into a cave, etc.
This, sir, is truly epic!

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 11:28:05 am »

I once had members of my military die of old age  :'(

Now, I dig a 1x1 pit in my fort.  Under that pit is my army dorm.  When I see an elder military dorf sleeping there, I drop a couple trolls in.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 11:32:22 am »

Smashed some cats.
Dropped some cats into caverns.
Smashed a cat owner.
Tortured prisoners via beat-squad.
Dropped prisoners off a 50 z-level high execution tower.
Drowned prisoners in a drowning chamber.
Executed prisoners via firing squad.
Executed prisoners via megabeast.
Executed prisoners via pack of war dogs.
Sent baby-carrying mothers into battle.
Sent baby-carrying mothers into danger rooms.
Left the corpses of children to rot in the fields.
Appointed a Captain of the Guard.
Smashed a permanently paralyzed dwarf.
Unleashed hell.
Murdered elven traders.
Captured hostile elves (part of the goblin civ) in cages, where they then died of their wounds.  I built the cages as gibbets to line the entrance to my trade depot.

I once tried to build superjail, but got stalled in the construction phase.

I guess I've never done anything too horrible... dang.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »

I dropped dwarves into a pit filled with zombies.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 03:14:49 pm »

deleting babies from pregnant mothers

Abortion through memory editing sounds fucking awesome.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »

The funny part about doing that, is that if you just NULL out the pregnancy pointer without also clearing a few other values it makes the mother think she had a miscarriage.  I guess having your unborn baby randomly poof would be somewhat distressing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »

-snip-

It has since been determined (I THINK, I don't know if there's proof or not but there's some hard evidence) that engravers need to have a certain skill level before they start engraving anything historical. Otherwise you'll just get circles. Good news, though, is that smoothing stone levels the skill. (I don't know if engraving minecart track levels the skill too, but you can smooth the track out afterwards to repeatedly gain skill points that way.)

As for my exploits... Sadly I haven't done anything too horrible. Atom-smashing pets, locking dwarves outside because of a 50-dude wave coming before I'm prepared, etc. Probably the worst thing I've done so far is currently ongoing. I have an evil fort, with a syndrome cloud. That's it--no zombies, no reanimation, nothing of extreme FUN yet. I don't know what the cloud does, because world.dat or whatever that file is, happens to be half a gig in size and I can't open it for reading in anything. Not even the text splitter I downloaded. :(

Anyway, my intention was locking the giga-wave outside to study them. No conclusive data, I still couldn't get anybody to really show any symptoms. (It didn't help that I had 5 or so aggressive kobold squads cutting them to pieces, though.) So when the next wave came in, I finally had my airlock operational, and noticed that the animals were covered in pus. Finally, I thought to myself, someone showing symptoms!

So I had them pastured in the airlock and am keeping them sealed up there to be studied.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

ITHEURIST

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 05:57:29 pm »

speaking of ballista, when the trade dopot got full (of my own kinsmen no less), i fortified in front of it, then started shooting a ballista into the depot.  iirc the constant barrage and rotting corpses caused the survivors and their animals to go insane.
WAIT you have done one thing more cruel...you almost killed me I was laughing so hard.
WoobMonkey- I hereby swear to uphold the true spirit of Dwarven Nobility: bitching, demanding, and being distracted by kittens, doors, and well-made cage traps.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 06:28:40 pm »

I wanted some interesting engravings, so I decided to give my dwarves something to watch in the hope that they would carve it....
I think your problem is that historical events only happen to historical figures, and goblins and zombies mostly aren't historical figures.

The way to fix this is to make them Enemies of your civilization.

So what you'd have to do is drop a group of migrants into the holding tank. The goblins would tear them apart, and some of them would get names and titles. And I'm not sure, but it might then become historically significant when zombie body parts kill them, so the zombie body parts might also start getting titles.

And then your engravers would have something to engrave.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 07:42:48 pm »

-snip-

It has since been determined (I THINK, I don't know if there's proof or not but there's some hard evidence) that engravers need to have a certain skill level before they start engraving anything historical. Otherwise you'll just get circles. Good news, though, is that smoothing stone levels the skill. (I don't know if engraving minecart track levels the skill too, but you can smooth the track out afterwards to repeatedly gain skill points that way.)

This thread, in particular this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106770.msg3172536#msg3172536
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7