Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42984 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2013, 02:27:27 pm »

That wall of needs, man...
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2013, 02:41:20 pm »

TAKE CARE of yourself Leatra, sorry long since I visited here so couldn't reply before. Will be watching this very closely

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

Best of luck to you guys and hopefully it doesn't spiral out to martial law.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »

This just in... (always wanted to say that)

A man named Turan Aktaş got hit in the head. He has a fractured skull. He is under brain surgery right now. Situation is very critical.

There was also lots of foreigners around. I heard some foreigners arrested by the police, so it's not surprising. I'm sure government will say "they are agents" or something like that.
That's exactly what they are saying. Some 15 foreigners have been arrested, among them a german tourist. Reports on the others are a bit contradictory, some are EU exchange students, some had diplomatic passports from UK, France, USA and Greece. They found fireworks and gas canisters with them, so they are accused of being provocateurs.

They have a lot of interviews with Germans and german-speaking Turks in Istanbul in the media here, I even saw something about that makeshift library on TV yesterday. (There's clip about that at the bottom of this article, doesn't let me link directly to the clip and it's in german anyway...)

Violence seems to be shifting to rural areas and other cities, because there is too much international media attention on Istanbul now.

Some pics from supporters in Germany:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heh, didn't surprise me. People are sensitive about foreign "agents" here. We are not even fighting for democracy. We are protesting for democracy. There are no cops among the killed and they are branding the people as provocateurs.

That wall of needs, man...
Yeah, there is a makeshift kitchen working to feed the occupiers for free right now in Taksim.

TAKE CARE of yourself Leatra, sorry long since I visited here so couldn't reply before. Will be watching this very closely
Thanks. Police isn't at Taksim so I'm not throwing myself into much danger by visiting there.

Best of luck to you guys and hopefully it doesn't spiral out to martial law.
Thanks. That's unlikely, since Erdoğan already imprisoned lots of outspoken generals and the army didn't really do much than offering free gas masks and sending support messages for now.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2013, 03:40:44 pm »

If anyone's seen the picture of a lady in a red dress getting peppersprayed by police, The Guardian has pieced together the story behind it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »

People are sensitive about foreign "agents" here.
That is understandable, no one really likes foreigners messing with their internal affairs. I've read a news piece where they interviewed an Erdogan supporter in a more conservative part of Istanbul. He was sceptical of the protests and suspected agitators from Europe, USA and Israel conspiring against Islam. Hopefully that kind of impression can be avoided...
Maybe that's why political response has been measured so far, beyond condemning police brutality. Cem Özdemir, leader of the german Green Party, has visited Gezi Park and more or less diplomatically called on Erdogan to listen to the people while also positively remarking on Gül's attempt to have a dialogue.

If anyone's seen the picture of a lady in a red dress getting peppersprayed by police, The Guardian has pieced together the story behind it.
Here's the whole sequence of pictures:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:24:56 pm by XXSockXX »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »

I've been hearing a lot about AFS student (an exchange organization) going out and helping, so I'm not surprise exchange students have been arrested.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »

wat ._.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2013, 09:56:02 pm »

Thanks for answering my questions Leatra. I've got a few more if it's not too much trouble:
A) You mentioned a SWAT team protesting, or something along those lines. What's going on there?
B) How violent have the protestors been? How have they kept the police out of the park?
C) There was also mention of the deputy leader, what about him? Has he spoken out or anything of the sort?
D) When I was talking about the region I meant about the countries close to you that may be suffering the same thing. Do you think they might have protests or something of the sort?
E) Who's supplying your Internet? Is it likely to get cut off?
F) How well are those makeshift gas masks working? Have you needed one or gotten caught in a cloud?
G) How are your friends/family holding up?
Again, sorry for all the questions.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 07, 2013, 12:48:59 am »

How does the whole over-turning the government thing look? Because it seems like the guy is the picture in the dictionary next to "uncompromising".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:16 am »

A group of AKP loyalists came to the Atatürk Airport to welcome Erdoğan. The crowd was around 600-700 people and there was no women, only men. AKP politicians said stuff like "They wanted to come, we couldn't stop them from welcoming the prime minister. It was a surprise to us too."

This is a giant lie.

The loyalists were picked up by busses and gathered around the airport. They even prepared fireworks and a good sound system. Erdoğan also read a prepared paper there, with Ministry of Environment and City Planning, Erdoğan Bayraktar, holding a flashlight to his paper.

The group dispersed after throwing slogans like "Tell us to die, and we will die!" and "Give us the road and we will crush Taksim" I was going to say that they were brainwashed, but I'm not sure if they got a brain.

A Starbucks store had to close shop after protestors spread the word about how they closed their doors to protestors. Boycott worked so well, they are hardly getting any customers now. Some Starbucks stores started helping the protestors after this but their reputation is very ruined right now. A similar thing happened to Kızılkayalar, a similar company famous for their hamburgers, they got the same treatment after one of their workers chased a protestors with a machete. Most of their stores are closed now.

Thanks for answering my questions Leatra. I've got a few more if it's not too much trouble:
A) You mentioned a SWAT team protesting, or something along those lines. What's going on there?
B) How violent have the protestors been? How have they kept the police out of the park?
C) There was also mention of the deputy leader, what about him? Has he spoken out or anything of the sort?
D) When I was talking about the region I meant about the countries close to you that may be suffering the same thing. Do you think they might have protests or something of the sort?
E) Who's supplying your Internet? Is it likely to get cut off?
F) How well are those makeshift gas masks working? Have you needed one or gotten caught in a cloud?
G) How are your friends/family holding up?
Again, sorry for all the questions.
You're welcome. Don't worry, I'm here to answer questions.
A) That SWAT team thing was a joke about protestors stealing police equipment and forming a shield wall. Nothing serious.
B) They basically stood still and the police gave up after some time. Some protestors are throwing rocks at the police. There are people vandalizing too but they usually get booed by the protestors if they attempt to do this. People who attempt to burn flags get stopped too. Protestors also help the bystanders with anti-tear solutions and gas masks.
C) The deputy leader was more lax with the protestors, criticizing the police for excessive use of gas bombs. Some people suspect this is just a good cop/bad cop being played here. He looks genuinely scared and anxious nowadays though.
D) Greece is giving a lot of support. Pretty much every country is helping but I have seen the most support from Germany and Greece.
E) Türk Telekom is the largest internet provider. I don't think they are going to cut it off. They wouldn't dare.
F) I never wore one. Even in places where their is no gas canisters around, my nose was still burning. I can't even guess what would happen if I got caught in a cloud. Most people just wear a piece of cloth around their mouth. There are people with military grade gas masks too. I think makeshift gas masks are working well because they have been gaining popularity.
G) Most of my friends are joining the protests from time to time. Even my most apolitical friends have started joining the protests. Some acquaintances of mine have been wounded in the protests. My family is mostly just digging up information about what's going on and not actively joining the protests.

How does the whole over-turning the government thing look? Because it seems like the guy is the picture in the dictionary next to "uncompromising".
People will probably keep protesting until AKP resigns but like you said, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2013, 05:31:04 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2013, 06:55:28 am »

I think the sprayer seemed a little too eager at spraying her down and only her.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:38 am »

I think the sprayer seemed a little too eager at spraying her down and only her.
"Are you listening to me, or are you too busy spraying the woman in the red dress?"
"I was just-"
"Look again."

...Yeah, that was awful :-\. I'm not sure why he'd go right after her. Maybe he doesn't like the color red?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:20 am »

A group of protestors professionally throwing back every gas canister being thrown at them.

A police officer celebrating his success after headshotting a protestor.

Police launching gas canisters at apartments.

Another sunny day for the police in Ankara.

"Are you listening to me, or are you too busy spraying the woman in the red dress?"
"I was just-"
"Look again."

...Yeah, that was awful :-\. I'm not sure why he'd go right after her. Maybe he doesn't like the color red?
No, actually he was spraying pepper to everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32