Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42960 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2013, 03:27:12 pm »

It's been mentioned here a bit, but gets considerably less attention than increased taxation on Chinese solar panels, some more discussion about broken Italian trains, and the fact that we might possibly soon have political accord to reform our education system(which is actually doing quite fine in it's current form).

Edit: So yeah, not much attention at all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:29:10 pm by 10ebbor10 »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:48 pm »

It's no longer the No1 story in Germany, since there are pretty bad floods in the south and east of the country, but I'd say it is still the most important non-national issue on most news sites and tv news. I think that the coverage is pretty decent, there are links, pics and videos from social media sites, background information, interviews with protesters and some thoughtful commentary. As usual I find it a bit less sensationalist than the US coverage I've seen. Turks are the largest immigrant community in Germany, so that may partially explain the interest. There have also been big solidarity rallys with several thousand people in many cities.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2013, 03:30:34 pm »

Here's CNNs top stories:
Proof: Sunscreen reduces skin aging
Vinegar could save thousands of lives
Plane geeks help feds fight terror
Why Cheerios ad makes folks angry 
Senator survives on deserted island 
Hiding in storm, they died in drain 
Government targets 'vampire fish' 
Inmate: Arias 'an amazing person' HLN
Wal-Mart's low wages cost taxpayers
Why the new Xbox still won't fix TV
HIV discovery almost didn't happen
Kim and Kanye's baby: Easton West?
Report: Nike to make Tiger even richer
Bus driver fired over Facebook post 
For sale: 1 BR nuclear missile silo 
Major characters die on TV's hits
Still not as bad as when they reported on the tragic events in the lives of some kids who were found guilty of raping a girl. Their young and promising lives were ruined D:

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »

It put me on the international page, so i suppose that's telling.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2013, 03:59:05 pm »

I've been following this thread for a while through the 'things you haven't read yet' link...

I should probably post to watch this, huh?

Also stay safe, man. Your posts have been very informative about this whole thing.

Also: Good lord that picture @_@
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2013, 04:09:37 pm »

Stay safe, and good luck.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »

Actually, I wonder what would happen if every B12 forum member banded together and founded their own country, and it somehow got national recognition.
We actually have a very accurate computer simulation of the outcome. It is called Dwarf Fortress.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:50 pm »

The Times is devoted a whole page to it today, and one of the Opinion Articles was on it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:22 pm »

The Times is devoted a whole page to it today, and one of the Opinion Articles was on it.

Heh... sorry for asking this, but which times? There are way too many news papers called the times... NY times, LA times, The Times...
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:49 pm »

I noticed this morning there were claims that Facebook erased a group that was being actively used by thousands of Turkish protesters for organizing and information.

Similar to others here, no one I know has said a word about this.  I doubt the majority know it's happening.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »

I noticed this morning there were claims that Facebook erased a group that was being actively used by thousands of Turkish protesters for organizing and information.

Similar to others here, no one I know has said a word about this.  I doubt the majority know it's happening.
Is that true? Why would Facebook do that? It doesn't really make sense, unless everyone is suddenly joining a conspiracy against the Turkish protesters. >_<

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2013, 10:20:56 pm »

It's certainly possible. Facebook's past actions have generally been to try to shut down anything with the potential to get them in trouble.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:46 pm »

I was kind of surprised, too, but Facebook seems to be weird like that.  They seem to mess with people a lot for political or edgy content, but they're extremely inconsistent about it.

For example, I know there's a group about breastfeeding that complains about being tampered with a lot.  I have a couple female friends who share their posts a lot.  One of the points they frequently make is they'll put two photos side-by-side; one a very modest photo of a women breastfeeding that doesn't even show anything other than a small amount of cleaveage, and another a very racy photo by some under-age girl.  Facebook will censor one but not the other.  Guess which one.

Anyway, that's getting kind of off-topic.  Point is it's believable that Facebook would be tampering with stuff related to events in Turkey.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:31:41 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2013, 10:24:11 pm »

Facebook likes to be family friendly social media. Controversy is something they tend to avoid for the most part.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »

Facebook likes to be family friendly social media. Controversy is something they tend to avoid for the most part.
That makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32