Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42981 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 01:39:06 pm »

Well...nothing against 4chan, but it doesn't strike me as a very reliable news source or a good place to get a political education.  ;)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 06:37:20 pm »

Still, colouring that much water is pretty striking, considering the colour and general state of the area.
I recall reports (from the NY Times no less) the government mixed some chemicals in the Water, Tear Gas I believe, so that could also be part of it. Tear gas is not red though...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »

I just returned from İstiklal, Taksim. The most beautiful thing about this movement is, it didn't start with support from any organization. The main opposition party didn't even get involved. They actually had to cancel their rallies. There are lots of people walking around in Taksim. Some people are sitting on the street and drinking beer. The act of drinking beer is a way to protest the Islamist agenda of Erdoğan. I drank a beer too. Stores are out of beers. The beer was very warm and when I complained the shopkeeper, he said it's impossible to find beer anywhere else.

There aren't any police around. Police is at Beşiktaş. Beşiktaş is bloodier than Taksim right now. The photos from Taksim at the moment is nothing compared to that. In Taksim, there aren't any gas canisters being shot but it's effects are still staying strong. My nose is still burning and my friend said his eyes were burning.

People are chanting things like "Standing together against fascist AKP!" "Turkey is secular and it will stay secular!" "Go to hell AKP!" and so on. There are interesting chantings but they kinda lose their meaning when translated to English. I also heard "Eat my dick, AKP!" at one moment. The crowd isn't getting rowdy at the moment. I only saw a guy throwing empty beer bottles around and that's it. People are actually very helpful. While we were walking around, a woman who looked like around 50-60 years old offered us some cakes. She said her daughters made them and she is offering them to protestors for free. It was really delicious.

People are playing music too. It's mostly traditional Turkish music but I saw some people dancing with Gangnam Style on the street. Some crowds are making noise with hitting things like saucepans lids and frying pans together. I also saw the video of a guy doing MJ's moonwalking dance in front of the cops.

There are lots of women around and I noticed some women shouting louder than men. It's good to see them standing up for themselves. This is what happens when you oppress women and treat them as baby-making machines. All that pressure is finally showing it's effects.

I noticed a security cabin with "WC" graffitied (is that a word?) on it. And here I was wondering where these people are using as a toilet. I took two pics from the graffs around.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My phone has a crappy camera, I know. I have to take pics while moving because it's very crowded. I couldn't take pics of everything written because there are tons of graffs around. The ones I remember "You pissed on the mosque wall, Tayyip" "Tonight we are the law" "Fascist AKP" "[I heard] pepper spray makes the skin beautiful" "What's up Tayyip?" It's good that we still have our sense of humor. Some other graffiti photos I found from other sources.

Some other pics I took:
My friends took better pics. I'll post them here if I manage to get them.

I learned that police is using ambulances to carry gas canisters around. I also heard about someone who called an ambulance and after the ambulance came, a police squad jumped out of the ambulance's backdoors and started arresting the wounded. People are warning the others to not to call an ambulance and simply rely on protestor doctors who are helping the wounded for free. I saw a guy with "doctor" written with spray can on the back of his t-shirt.

I got the news of 1000 police officers and 15 police commissioners resigning from their jobs and joining the protestors. The number of resigned police officers was at 50 just a day ago. This isn't confirmed though. A police officer told that the best way to stop armored police trucks is sticking a wet towel into the exhaust. At least not all of them are monstrous.

I encountered a guy handing out vinegar and lemon to people who are passing-by. Mixing vinegar with water and rubbing your eye with it lessens the effects of pepper spray.

Beyazıt Öztürk, the most famous talk show host in Turkey, cancelled his program yesterday because (from his words) "While people are getting oppressed by the police in the Gezi Park, I'm not going to do an entertainment program." He is now fired from the channel. (Disregard this, he wasn't fired but the channel wasn't happy either.) He was the host of this talk show since 1996.

I noticed stray dogs getting affected by the pepper gas. People were helping the affected dogs and now we have the numbers of vets who are working for free. It's common for shopkeepers to put pet food and water outside of their shops and most stray dogs and cats stick to the places where they are well fed by shop owners.

Just outside of my apartment, people are shouting "Cheers, Tayyip!" and they are carrying a beer with them. That's sure to get Muslim fanatics angry.

BTW, this is how a home-made gas mask looks like.

The police have been so brutal.  I've seen a few mentions of how much blood is in the streets and pictures of red puddles.  This one is especially striking.

Yeah, I accidentally stepped into that puddle.

Will it be safe for me to visit some of the main attractions in Istanbul like the war museum, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque, as well as the old Byzantine/Constantinople-era parts? Or are they the focus of some protests? Also, judging by your photographs and what you've said the situation looks much wilder than our news outlets in the UK are reporting it to be.
Well there are some places you need to stay away from, like Taksim and Beşiktaş. Blue Mosque was very calm when I passed through there. I don't know about Hagia Sofia. The real focus is Taksim and the surrounding areas. Situation is calming down in Taksim but it's getting a lot wilder in Beşiktaş. Taksim just looks like an old battlefield now. Also the gas is still spreading around İstanbul and even if you are not close to Taksim you might get affected by it.

Isn't Turkey trying to get into the EU? What's this going to mean for that?
Not much at the moment, there are a lot of other issues with Turkey joining the EU. Erdogan and the AKP are generally seen with a bit of scepticism, and attacking protesters is not going to make that any better.
Turkey kinda doesn't care much about EU anymore really. News channels used to go on and on about how the progress of EU registration is going but nobody gives a shit anymore. Erdoğan once said he got fed up with slow EU progress and he is looking for a corporation with Shanghai Cooperation Organization. This is old news though.

There's some threads on this on 4chan too. According to one post, simply going on 4chan is illegal, so that's rather interesting if it's true. From what I've gathered, the situation is that Erdogan is a theocrat whereas most turks only remember they're muslims on ramadan? And I might as well post this link for Leatra and any other turk that might be reading: http://www.pcworld.com/article/218155/get_internet_access_when_your_government_shuts_it_down.html
Shopkeepers in Taksim are providing free internet. It's not a big problem to connect. Slowness of the internet is a problem though. 4chan was banned long time ago. Youtube, Google's blogger, and lots of other websites I can't think of right (especially the ones which are considered extremely leftist or anti-islam by AKP) are also banned. We know how to deal with DNS and proxies so it's not a problem. Dealing with signal jammers the cops are using is a pain in the ass though.

According to one post, simply going on 4chan is illegal, so that's rather interesting if it's true. From what I've gathered, the situation is that Erdogan is a theocrat whereas most turks only remember they're muslims on ramadan?
That's oversimplifying the issues too much. Many political movements, left and right, in Turkey are very secular, most notably the Kemalists, the party of the founder of modern Turkey. Erdogan's AKP is pushing a more religious agenda, like the current restrictions on alcohol. The population in rural areas is pretty religious, whereas big cities like Istanbul are relatively western and secular. The issue is more that Erdogan does have an authoritarian streak while the population wants more democracy. And yeah, they do block websites, I think youtube has been blocked a few times.
İstanbul is a lot more secular compared to rural areas but there is a big polarization among the population. Currently a secular group is heading towards Fatih from my neighborhood, and Fatih is like the HQ of fundamentalists. I don't know what happened yet, but I'm expecting blood.

There are lots of Turks who say they are Muslim but they don't go to mosques, they don't read Qur'an, and they don't do namaz (is there an English equivalent for that?). All my friends are Muslim in name only. It almost like they are deists. The "%99 of the population is Muslim" is bullshit. Nobody believe that. I know lots of people who are keeping their true faith (or lack of faith, for that matter) secret. I know 3 Tengriist masquerading as Muslims myself.

I'm currently zapping through Turkish TV channels, and let's see... hmm, a stupid tv series, a football match, a beauty contest, a dude talking about how life is in Beirut, some more stupid tv series, oh hey a channel is talking about Taksim. Erdoğan is saying "The opposition party is shouting "Government should resign and pull back the cops" Well, I say to them, cops were there yesterday, they are there today, and they will be there tomorrow. Taksim has turned into a haven for people with extreme ideologies." He is right about the fact that it's not about saving a few trees anymore but "extreme ideologies"... Well, some people might consider democracy a bit extreme I guess.

That's all for now. Thanks for the support everyone. I'm extremely depraved of sleep but I can't sleep because I don't want to miss what's going on. I'll try to get some sleep though. I have exams starting Monday.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:45:58 am by Leatra »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 06:54:43 pm »

Yeesh, that's... wow. Be careful out the Leatra.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 06:57:51 pm »

When you get back Leatra, are those homemade gas masks for sale or are people just making them in their homes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 07:01:24 pm »

Yeesh, that's... wow. Be careful out the Leatra.
Pretty much this. Oh, and good luck, both personally and for your country.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »

When you get back Leatra, are those homemade gas masks for sale or are people just making them in their homes?
...I'm going to guess they're being given out, given what I've read. Or making it. Frankly a rowdy mob is not a great place to do somethigng so, what's the word? Obviously grubby? I mean there are Doctors aiding people for free.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »

Leatra, what's the average opinion on the street about the Kurds? Are they going to make their chance?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 07:13:37 pm »

Stay safe out there Leatra I hope everything turns out ok in the end
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 07:29:47 pm »

Spent a lot of time relaying stuff from Turkish AFS student. Good you guys seems to know how to use proxies, I wouldn't be surprised if Erdogan shut down stuff like twitter in the next few days.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 07:43:40 pm »

Hope it all turns out well. Non-secular governments should never be tolerated.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »

following this with interest. always was a bit enamoured with turkey m'self, though i've never been there

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 08:00:34 pm »

Something else of note, here's some info you may find useful; at the bottom of big articles on the BBC there's contact info for photos, interviews, ect
Quote from: From the Turkey protest article's page
Are you at the protests? If so please contact us using the form below.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.
With a form under it for submitting contact info and such as well.

Anything big turns up, send it there.

Oh, and congratulations; you guys are now the biggest news story. Headline story on the websites of CNN (US & international), BBC, and AlJazeera.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:35:48 pm by alway »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »

Well...nothing against 4chan, but it doesn't strike me as a very reliable news source or a good place to get a political education.  ;)
/int/ is a great place to get this kind of international news that spreads via social media, besides some of the more..."different" opinions found on there once you shift through the noise you can find some really good stuff.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 08:12:46 pm »

Hope it all turns out well. Non-secular governments should never be tolerated.
Non-secular is irritating, but not really the primary issue here, it seems like. Being secular isn't really a defense against or justification for having puppet news stations or brutal police crackdowns, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32