Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42988 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:27 am »

It's all over german media too, some gruesome pics and videos. They are still using official numbers on injuries and deaths though.

Here's a live stream of a protest in Istanbul (that one looks rather peaceful currently):
http://www.n24.de/n24/Mediathek/Live/d/2926112/tuerkei-istanbul-demonstrationen-proteste.html

EDIT:
The stream is over now, link doesn't work anymore.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:23:19 pm by XXSockXX »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 10:50:10 am »

I thought the New York Times didn't have anything, but it is in there. They seem to be a little more conservative with guessing what is going on, understandable given their being a newspaper r  though they do have some pictures, which include a man being blasted down by a water
Cannon. A whole lot of tear gas is being used, according to the article.

Be careful leatra, dying doesn't help anything. Stay inside if you can.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 10:52:24 am »

Some really terrible pics in that occupy feed. I've passed the word to all my contacts, FB poltiical groups, etc etc.

Good luck.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:22 am »

Thanks for the comments guys. In a few minutes, I'll be meeting with a friend who was there for the protest in Taksim. I wonder what was it like. I kinda feel guilty for not being there.

I will be going to Istanbul this Thursday for a week on holiday. I'm just going to avoid getting too close to protest areas. Good luck in the protests, however. I wish you all the best.
There are some calmer sections of the city but you'll see lots of people who are walking on the street. Some places look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Government has shut down some of the public transportation services so most people are just walking. Protestors are mostly helpful but there are some people who are just trouble-seeking bastards walking around. Also AKP-fanatics are beating anyone who looks like a protestor in Tophane. I think the Asian side of İstanbul is a lot more calmer. Beware of Beşiktaş too, people who are trying to regroup with the Taksim protest group is clashing with the police there. People in Ankara and İzmir are protesting too. This was taken from İzmir.

I can't be sure about what places are safe because... my favorite news channel was holding a discussion with 4 people while all this was happening and the topic of discussion: "What we should eat to stay healthy?". It's currently talking about football. Erdoğan appeared on the TV and told a bunch of lies about how nobody was seriously injured and he said the death reports were all lies. The bad thing is, there are people who are not aware of social media (old people mostly) and they are probably falling for this shit.

This is what people thinks of Turkish media.
From left to right, it says "Tayyip <3 NTV" "SOLD" "LIE NEWS" "SOLD...BASTARDS".
Only a few channels are showing what's going on. Halk TV (literal translation: People TV) are showing what's going on all the time.

Some... interesting pics I managed to find.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 11:58:13 am »

Will it be safe for me to visit some of the main attractions in Istanbul like the war museum, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque, as well as the old Byzantine/Constantinople-era parts? Or are they the focus of some protests? Also, judging by your photographs and what you've said the situation looks much wilder than our news outlets in the UK are reporting it to be.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:00:53 pm by Owlbread »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 12:08:55 pm »

Isn't Turkey trying to get into the EU? What's this going to mean for that?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 12:15:16 pm »

Isn't Turkey trying to get into the EU? What's this going to mean for that?
Not much at the moment, there are a lot of other issues with Turkey joining the EU. Erdogan and the AKP are generally seen with a bit of scepticism, and attacking protesters is not going to make that any better.

Some more pics:
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/tuerkei-zusammenstoesse-zwischen-polizei-und-demonstranten-in-istanbul-fotostrecke-97425.html

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/proteste-gegen-erdogan-in-der-tuerkei-fast-wie-eine-revolution-/8285604.html

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 12:28:36 pm »

Erdogan and co. have been trying to push away from ties with the EU in favor of ties with Russia, as the former are not exactly friendly towards his agenda.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 12:34:05 pm »

The police have been so brutal.  I've seen a few mentions of how much blood is in the streets and pictures of red puddles.  This one is especially striking.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »

Wow,

really hoping that's just rusty water.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 12:47:26 pm »

It's almost certainly blood, but it's probably not anywhere near as much as it looks like. Blood colors water very easily.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 12:53:14 pm »

Still, colouring that much water is pretty striking, considering the colour and general state of the area.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »

There's some threads on this on 4chan too. According to one post, simply going on 4chan is illegal, so that's rather interesting if it's true. From what I've gathered, the situation is that Erdogan is a theocrat whereas most turks only remember they're muslims on ramadan? And I might as well post this link for Leatra and any other turk that might be reading: http://www.pcworld.com/article/218155/get_internet_access_when_your_government_shuts_it_down.html
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 01:23:19 pm »

According to one post, simply going on 4chan is illegal, so that's rather interesting if it's true. From what I've gathered, the situation is that Erdogan is a theocrat whereas most turks only remember they're muslims on ramadan?
That's oversimplifying the issues too much. Many political movements, left and right, in Turkey are very secular, most notably the Kemalists, the party of the founder of modern Turkey. Erdogan's AKP is pushing a more religious agenda, like the current restrictions on alcohol. The population in rural areas is pretty religious, whereas big cities like Istanbul are relatively western and secular. The issue is more that Erdogan does have an authoritarian streak while the population wants more democracy. And yeah, they do block websites, I think youtube has been blocked a few times.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »

According to one post, simply going on 4chan is illegal, so that's rather interesting if it's true. From what I've gathered, the situation is that Erdogan is a theocrat whereas most turks only remember they're muslims on ramadan?
That's oversimplifying the issues too much. Many political movements, left and right, in Turkey are very secular, most notably the Kemalists, the party of the founder of modern Turkey. Erdogan's AKP is pushing a more religious agenda, like the current restrictions on alcohol. The population in rural areas is pretty religious, whereas big cities like Istanbul are relatively western and secular. The issue is more that Erdogan does have an authoritarian streak while the population wants more democracy. And yeah, they do block websites, I think youtube has been blocked a few times.
Well, yeah, it's a simplification, I've only been investigating this for an hour or so. The line about only remembering they're muslims on ramadan was paraphrased from another 4chan post by the way. If you want to read those threads yourself, go to /int/ rather than /pol/. /pol/ is full of fuckheads.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32