Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Minecarts + Impulse Ramps = Goblin Space Program?  (Read 16733 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Minecarts + Impulse Ramps = Goblin Space Program?
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »

Now that Mine-carts have been added to the game, has the idea of a Goblin Space Program been re-visited?

By this, I mean an attempt to launch a Goblin from ground level so as to exit the map, via the sky.

Will stripped Goblins (in captivity) put on any new clothes that are provided to them? An Adamantium-cloth Space Suit seems appropriate for the mission. It's too bad we can't make Helmets out of Glass.
Never pet a burning dog.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts + Impulse Ramps = Goblin Space Program?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:30:10 pm »

Negative on goblins equipping clothing/items.

There has been much use of minecarts in horizontal launches, but I haven't seen anyone use the parabolic flight feature with "impulse ramps". You could be the first.

By the way, you can shoot creatures by using a double minecart shotgun. A minecart hits a wall and shoots a +goblin cage+ over the wall. The goblin cage hits a wall on the z-level above and shoots the goblin forwards. This can be used with stockpiles to make an automatic prisoner disposal machine.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »

Never pet a burning dog.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »

Here is the 'national anthem' for the Goblin Space Program:

"The challenge for the Dwarven race: to send a Goblin into space!
We just send them UP, that's how we learn!
Where they come down?... that's not our concern."
Never pet a burning dog.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 04:22:23 pm »

Outfitted in adamantine clothing, the hell it isn't your problem where he lands! What if he lands in a nearby goblin fort. They then have adamantine to try to work into a weapon to attack your people. They could even make the clothing stiff, put it on a stick and hack you to pieces with it technically. It's just a matter of time.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:48 pm »

OK, I tried to build a "space launch rail" on the surface and ran into a problem.

Firstly, it seems like you have to end the rail like this to get the upwards movement:
Code: [Select]
  ▲
_▲█

The other problem is that the cart and passenger slam into an invisible wall in midair just 2 tiles away from the launch. Total elevation gain was 1z above the highest point of the ramp (2z above ground).

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:57:43 pm »

OK, I tried to build a "space launch rail" on the surface and ran into a problem.

Firstly, it seems like you have to end the rail like this to get the upwards movement:
  ▲
_▲█

The other problem is that the cart and passenger slam into an invisible wall in midair just 2 tiles away from the launch. Total elevation gain was 1z above the highest point of the ramp (2z above ground).

Hmmm... once I've finished my current fortress project (a Dwarven Super-Collider, or High Pressure Pump) I'll play around with that. There may be some configuration of tiles that prevents that "invisible wall" effect... some structure built out of fortifications, perhaps? Missiles pass right through fortifications. Or a series of channels on the ground below the "invisible wall"?
Never pet a burning dog.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 07:10:48 pm »

▲
_▲█

Hmmm... once I've finished my current fortress project (a Dwarven Super-Collider, or High Pressure Pump) I'll play around with that. There may be some configuration of tiles that prevents that "invisible wall" effect... some structure built out of fortifications, perhaps? Missiles pass right through fortifications. Or a series of channels on the ground below the "invisible wall"?

Solved the problem. The game doesn't allocate z-levels in the sky except for the two closest to the ground unless something taller is built in that area block. I am building a staircase tower off to one side of the launch ramp, all the way to the top of the map.

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 07:27:25 pm »

▲
_▲█

Solved the problem. The game doesn't allocate z-levels in the sky except for the two closest to the ground unless something taller is built in that area block. I am building a staircase tower off to one side of the launch ramp, all the way to the top of the map.

You are trully loyal to your nickname, that was a quite impressive of dwarven science.
Urist McSpartacus: blood and vomit.
One day this is going to be a show, mark my words.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 07:33:36 pm »

Its too bad we can't make Helmets out of Glass.

Says who? Mod it! You can have reactions to make helmets out of anything if you want to. Hmm. New meaning for the band named The Flaming Lips if you make a helmet out of lignite and ignite it with magma...
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 07:42:27 pm »

Killed all 7 of my testing dwarves by collision with the top of the map.

Someone could generate a world with a larger than default number of z-levels above ground, build a "space station" in the sky, and send supply minecarts up to it via a launch system. The minecarts could be returned by simply pushing them off the edge. Could even send migrants up this way, if you were careful.

CHALLENGE: launch a creature at least 15 z-levels into the air and have it land safely (unharmed, uninjured). Landing on a platform in midair is acceptable (and recommended).

BONUS: Build a space station fort and have "ground control" interact with caravans and send up supplies and new astronauts.
UBERBONUS: Build "orbital weapons platforms" and purge the surface of life in case of siege.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »

Can you hang things from the sky via "Support"s?
Never pet a burning dog.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 07:53:04 pm »

Additional challenge/bonus:

Launch a cart full of magma up to the station as "fuel" making sure to catch it without spilling, dump it in your reservoir fuel tank, and send the cart back to the beginning.

Then automate the process to fill the fuel tank and then deactivate when the it's full.

I imagine that tweaking that process will be lots of fun.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:00:17 pm by Tacomagic »

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »

Extra Dwarfy Challenge, install a self destruct mechanism in case of flying invaders
Mega Bonus, creating a series of stations
Mega Dwarven Bonus, connect them together with each one serving a unique purpose(eg. one is a farm, another is a weapons station)
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »

The only serious problem is that you cannot launch directly upwards, you can only go at angles.  This means the higher you want to go, the further sideways you have to go, and embark size becomes a limit for height.

Even then, minecarts have a terminal velocity (I believe rolling downhill is faster than the fastest set of rollers) which means a max height.  Still, if you call Z+3 to be 'space' then sure!

Also keep in mind what this means for invaders.  If you start on a flat map, and never build up, nothing should fly above you.  HOWEVER building walls creates floors, which means you've 'built up' so you can only defend yourself with statues and ditches.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8