Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19533 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »

Two options.

a. Stereotyping and discrimination based on gender

b. Institutionally backed, oppressive stereotyping and discrimination based on gender

The "men cannot receive sexism" school is type b., which is said mostly in order to allay arguments that men and women are undergoing things with the same impact.  See unfair hiring practices, etc., blah blah blah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 06:02:12 pm »

Quote from: Hiiri editing someone else's quote for effect last thread
There are going to be less women in the military.
WRONG SIR! One does not have "less" women, you have fewer! Haha! You must now concede your grammatical argument, and give to me your first born child!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 06:05:19 pm »

I thought it had to do with O-rings and waistlines.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:43 pm »

Well, to kick this off, i was hoping Vector could go into more details about tensions, as well as how and how common it is to react adversely to the baseline gender roles, and why they do or do not take action or alternately twig on.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 06:35:52 pm »

I for one have never understood how people can jump from averages to individuals so readily.

If 75% of one group was bad at something  I would not assume that an individual was bad at it until I asked them. Especially at an institute for that something.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »

I always thought it was about brain organization.  We apparently form all of our decisions on is/isnot categories.  I read something somewhere that all thought distinguishing between is/is not and began in such a tribalistic manner.

And that's how I've always seen stereotypes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:33 pm »

So... Any chance of a new decent sonic NO! AND THERE NEVER WILL BE!
Anyway.

Two options.

a. Stereotyping and discrimination based on gender

b. Institutionally backed, oppressive stereotyping and discrimination based on gender
Could you elaborate on this a little? These two things seem very intertwined. Are they meant to be treated as two distinct categories or two possible causes?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:33 pm »

No, they're two different definitions of sexism.  Under the latter definition, men do not suffer from sexism (much like that saying that you can't be racist towards white people).  Under the former, we take all forms of stereotyping and unfair generalization as sexism.  Really, they're different tools for different discussions.  One should be used to talk about a level of, well, horribleness that uniquely affects women (you know, the "this is not a 'what about the men' conversation").  The other one is for when you're talking about the effects of stereotyping as a whole.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:56:24 pm »

Well when you look at the abysmal rates that fathers get any sort of child custody in a divorce, that would qualify as type b against men, wouldn't it?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:21 pm »

Well when you look at the abysmal rates that fathers get any sort of child custody in a divorce, that would qualify as type b against men, wouldn't it?
that is a yes, family judicial system puts the mother ahead of the father for custody. Ignoring the facts that the father could provide a better lifestyle for child but no you can't tear children away from their mothers thats horrid

Chances aren't slim but its a long and costly court battle.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »

Men who actually apply for custody get it 50% of the time (citation; you can follow their citations if you're so inclined).

I have a really hard time seeing that as discrimination.

that is a yes, family judicial system puts the mother ahead of the father for custody. Ignoring the facts that the father could provide a better lifestyle for child but no you can't tear children away from their mothers thats horrid

Courts usually place children with the primary caregiver.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »

I feel like people are talking about numbers and statistics without backing any of those claims up.
This is general discussion, not fanfiction, just sayin'.

PTW.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:40 pm »

Men who actually apply for custody get it 50% of the time.

I have a really hard time seeing that as discrimination.

Courts usually place children with the primary caregiver.
That really depends on the state though, i know here the mother still gets precedence over fathers (even after there was like three laws to put in to change that). For Colorado it was even a big issue too (one of us here actually was in that trouble) and there has to be changes in the system.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 07:04:12 pm »

Yeah, I added the citation.

Part of my problem is that I absorb a lot of information and then forget where I found it.  Usually the sources are good, but it takes a while to get them.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »

Posting to watch sexist thread

I thought you said sexiest.

I'm still of the opinion of egalitarianism being extended to every aspect of society, but we need to remove gender role enforcement. Breaking the glass ceiling, and such.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30