Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42855 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Xbox ONE being revealed.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:03 pm »

Thank god I switched from console gaming to the PC.
I'm thinking about hopping on that train, if there's room left. Although, console gaming isn't guarenteed to be dead yet! No, for the mighty Valve may just get around to making the steam box by the next millennium.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 04:43:35 pm »

God, this looks like it's going to be a massive pile of shit.  I really do mean that, and as a guy who owned both of the previous Xboxs and really enjoyed them.  IF I even bother to get a new console it will definitely end up being the PS4.

I'm pretty sure Sony is going in a similar direction. I'd be honestly surprised if they didn't do something comparable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can definitely see Nintendo refusing to play ball, though. I think they kind of stopped caring about directly competing with Sony and Microsoft, and are happy to do their own thing as long as there's a market for it.

Meh, I'll keep my gaming limited to my PC, anyway. And maybe whatever portable system Nintendo decides to release next.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:23 pm »

I'll be surprised if consoles survive the generation after the PS4 and X-Box One. Microsoft is pushing people towards the PS4 and PCs with their X-Box Live fees and DRM, since the PS4 is not doing the DRM thing (On the PS4, at least). The WiiU's gimmick wasn't gimmicky enough and is doing terribly, and probably won't make a good recovery. Barring any more stupid decisions or a major change in the market, we'll see a PS5, but anything else Nintendo or Microsoft releases will be overshadowed by Sony's system, PCs, and tablets, which are all providing comparable features at a better deal to their respective audiences. After the PS5, consoles will have too much to compete with to be successful.

Tablets appeal to casual gamers, are cheap, mobile, and can come in the form of a phone. Save the dedicated fan base of Zelda and Mario fans, this is going to suck most of Nintendo's casual base right up. Unless Nintendo makes another success on the level of the original Wii, they're going to be losing market shares over the next decade. Tablets also have the added benefit of appealing to online socialites, since all you have to to is stick a keyboard on one and you have a cheaper laptop that does Facebook and YouTube, so they'll even start taking a chunk out of the PC market, particularly laptop users. Heck, even TVs are headed in the direction of being over sized tablets, so there goes another chunk of the casual market out of Nintendo's hands. Once their processing and graphics capability get even to the point of the N64, Nintendo's finished making consoles.

I can already plug my computer into a 50' TV, grab a USB controller, and play it like a normal console. The only downside is that PCs cost more, but you get can get a lot more out of them. The console's main audience are teenagers and young adults, all of whom need PCs to do homework. Instead of dropping the cash for a console and an okay PC, you can get a good PC and still have some pocket change left. All the console games, besides Halo, Final Fantasy, and a few others, are released on PC anyways, so there's even less of a reason to get a console for gaming.

The one thing that fans could legitimately say that X-Boxes had over computers, the ability to rent and/or bring a disk over to a friend's house and play without a problem, is gone. Their stomping ground as a gaming-centric console is slowly being overshadowed by versatile tablets and powerful and versatile PCs, and only dedicated fans will stick with them through the bitter end.

The crazy thing is, I think Microsoft sees it coming. With Windows 8 designed to work on both PCs and tablets, and Xbox One's OS being very similar to Windows 8, complete with Internet Explorer, it makes me think that they're just grabbing some of that cash while they can. Sony and Nintendo? They don't appear to have any plans to branch out, so probably not.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:15 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »

I think consoles are just going to undergo a massive form-factor change. From clunky boxes to mobile devices. When we've hit the point where you can put a quad-core, 8 gigs of ram and a great mobile GPU into a tablet and/or phone, the actual console market share is going to crash.

Because by then the cost of providing a high-end HD gaming system to people who won't play it on a computer is going to be too high. Basically, all consoles are going to run into the problem the PS3 did, where it costs too much to ape what PCs are already doing for cheaper.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 05:23:37 pm »

I'd just like to add more to this Xbox ONE not backwards compatible.

On the bright side of all this the WiiU has at least motion controls and other more innovative stuff and is generally not terrible about it's DRM. Now if it had some decent games it'd be not... bad.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »

Hmmm ok buy a disk once and never use it again.... What's the point of buying the disk in the first place and not just downloading the game.

Also sounds like ubi soft on lots and lots of steroids, if Xbox gets away with such horrific DRM how long till Sony think that's a good idea as well for PS4 and then consoles will forever be stuck like that.

This year ( or what ever year this is meant to be released ) marks a death for console gaming.

EDIT:
Also I have been wondering say your new Xbox one breaks ( because MS can't build hardware for shit ) and it's not connected to the Internet or anything would that not mean you would have to pay for all your games again on the replacement Xbox ?
I expect it would probably be just transferring your xbox live account to the new xbox.
Is it me or does it look like Sim city always online DRM not required to be always online all over again? They force you you to be online but doesnt require it, wich mean, if you dont go online you re penalized but you can choose not to....

Make me think... you can choose to cross-over a street without looking, its your right, but you are more likely to be hit by a car.... Like here... you can choose to not go online, but if you dont... you have more chance to cry blood tears if something goes wrong...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 05:27:59 pm »

I'd just like to add more to this Xbox ONE not backwards compatible.

On the bright side of all this the WiiU has at least motion controls and other more innovative stuff and is generally not terrible about it's DRM. Now if it had some decent games it'd be not... bad.
Sorry for double post, but i just saw that one... AT LEAST on PC... if i want to play the very first diablo game made,. FACK I CAN!!!!! If i want to play that very old strategy game called M.A.X. for GOD SAKE i CAN!!! why is it not backward compatible? why? PLEASE tell me ONE VERY GOOD reason NOT RELATE to cash grabbing technic and i will gladly say ok, im fine with it....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »

This legitimately reminds me of the run-up to the crash of '83. In '83, a weak console market dominated by shovelware sequels was slapped by a strong home PC market that offered better games, and better values. While that's vastly oversimplifying things, a few canaries in the coal-mine have already popped up:

• PC Killer Apps no longer require $1,500 gaming PCs: MOBAs like LoL, and indie games like Minecraft can be played on machines that cost near to or lower than the estimated console price points.
  • PC Gaming is showing that it's more than just a mouse & keyboard: One example of many: The popularity of Planetside 2 among both the MLG crowd and normal gamers has highlighted the type of game that you cannot currently make on a console. It's astonishing how many former console players I've met in PS2 that were blown away that such a massive game even existed. It's a big draw for the console CoD/Halo/Battlefield crowd that's been looking for something more.
  • Pro-gaming has switched back to PC in a BIG way: As much as I personally hate MOBAs, games like League of Legends have brought competitive gaming to forefront in ways that console FPSs (or even the old staples like Street Fighter II and Starcraft) have not. Anecdotally, LoL may have even finally broken the barrier of getting people to watch who don't actually play the game.
  • Indie Games and Kickstarter: The democratization of the game development process cannot be ignored. While the big three console makers have tried catering to Indie devs a bit, they are still lagging far behind in the arenas of funding and genre variety.
  • Steam: The cat is out of the bag. Steam, and particularly Steam sales, are becoming mainstream in gaming. Even two years ago, I knew plenty of console gamers that hadn't heard of Steam. Today, they are as enthusiastic about Steam sales as the next guy.

I'm HIGHLY doubt that consoles will see the 97% revenue drop that they saw in 1983, but that doesn't mean that they won't take a hit. Even a small percentage profit hit could be comparatively worse due to how much modern game devs/publishers are spending on development and marketing.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 05:30:53 pm »

I'm thinking about hopping on that train, if there's room left.

This train's been runnin' for a long time, sonny...  and there's room fer ev'rybody.  No tickets needed, just gotta wanna get on.  Ayup.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 05:31:14 pm »

Yeahh... I think I am going to skip this one. Seems I'll be getting a PS4 for my console needs. I mostly play on my PC anyways, the only games I've touched on a console in years are Demon's Souls, Tokyo Jungle and Fight Night.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »

Sounds more like Xbox GONE to me.
(Gone away, gone loco, gone full retard, take your pick)

Then again... the customer base has slowly been getting used to shitty stuff so.... I expect to be thoroughly disappointed by the market.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 05:40:55 pm »

Man.. call me insensible, call me stupid, call me heart-less after what i will say, i dont care because i mean what im about to say with all my heart, i wish, i hope, no better yet im an atheist and i PRAY ANY AND ALL god who dare to listen, i hope the console market crash and burn to NEVER rise up again, why? Because all these oppresive measures taken on the new console increasing every year and seem to have no end to the imaginative behind these measures taken, they are slowly alienating the console user base, and you know what is even worst? The said alienated user base cries for more... make me think of a dealer, he gives you a freebie, get you hooked, and then makes accept worst and worst condition to their own pleasure and greediness. Sure somebody will say its not a drug you cant be hooked up, nevertheless its the same thing happening here because no matter what, its an industry and there is demand for it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 05:48:41 pm »

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport3/statuses/336924786410278912
i hope the console market crash and burn to NEVER rise up again
I'm a PC gamer and I don't want consoles to die, I just want them to not suck, and I want developers to stop making console games that end up sucking on PC. Developing for the most advanced hardware and then toning it back to the older consoles is what should be happening in theory, but instead we have situations where development for games is based on 7~ year old hardware and thus don't take advantage of any technology that has been developed and implemented into PCs.

I also want devs to understand that I have a controller plugged into my PC... do people find it hard to understand the concept of using peripherals other than a mouse and keyboard on a computer?

Of course, as explained by many people, it seems they are taking away all the advantages of owning a console over a PC.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:02 pm »

I also want devs to understand that I have a controller plugged into my PC... do people find it hard to understand the concept of using peripherals other than a mouse and keyboard on a computer?

This so much.  And all the kinds of games that I used to love on the consoles (like platformers) are now actually made for the PC(and usually at 1/4 the cost), so its great for me.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37