Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42834 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:56:39 pm »

Only having to use a disc once in your Xbox One for it to install, then you won't have to put it in to play ever again. If you try to use it in another Xbox One, it'll require a fee.

Is it me or is it bullcrap o.O, so basicly you buy a game you can install on ONE machine, no more bringing your game with you to play at your friend house without bringing the whole console, thats bullshit.... At least if you buy something on let's say steam, you can always log on ANY machine and install ANY of your game..... Here? No worry dude, buy that 75$ buck game, install it once and be done.

I sure hell hope i misunderstand something here.... because if its like the way i think it is, i wont get any other console in my household ever again.

Edit: Forgot to include my source
http://www.fpsguru.com/article/3412/Next-Xbox-Revealed-Xbox-One.html

EDIT 2: STAY RESPECTUOUS and NO PERSONAL BASHING If you want to bash its fine, but bring something that support your bash. Stay civilised and again NO personal attack of ANY KIND.

Thank you and happy bashing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:15:25 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Xbox ONE being revealed.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »

You basically have the right of it. No games will be played from discs anymore, they always have to be installed, and those installs are tied to user accounts/each Xbox. So if you want to play a game with your friend (if you manage to find the mythical split screen co-op console game) you'll have to drag your Xbox over there. (And your Kinnect, because apparently with The One, it's one of the default control methods and ALWAYS has be to active for the Xbox to work.)

Basically, MS is doing everything with the next generation of consoles that non-console gamers were worried about. Clamping down on secondary game sales, effectively requiring you to always be online, turning game discs into install discs....

It's basically a PC with a ton of DRM and mandatory peripherals. And it only has a 500 gig harddrive. So enjoy your 10 games before you have to pony up for a bigger one.

I mean, wasn't that the whole perk of a console? Is that you didn't have to install, update or manage your collection? You just pop in disc and play. Well, thems the good 'ol days.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

You basically have the right of it. No games will be played from discs anymore, they always have to be installed, and those installs are tied to user accounts/each Xbox. So if you want to play a game with your friend (if you manage to find the mythical split screen co-op console game) you'll have to drag your Xbox over there. (And your Kinnect, because apparently with The One, it's one of the default control methods and ALWAYS has be to active for the Xbox to work.)

Basically, MS is doing everything with the next generation of consoles that non-console gamers were worried about. Clamping down on secondary game sales, effectively requiring you to always be online, turning game discs into install discs....

It's basically a PC with a ton of DRM and mandatory peripherals. And it only has a 500 gig harddrive. So enjoy your 10 games before you have to pony up for a bigger one.

I mean, wasn't that the whole perk of a console? Is that you didn't have to install, update or manage your collection? You just pop in disc and play. Well, thems the good 'ol days.
Yeah now console are quite simply a PC running on TV with, well you said it, obligatory peripherals and LOTS of bullcrap DRM.... If they are trying to sell a frigging PC with less feature than a PC..... I wonder, but really wonder WHY ppl are really buying them, because all what they are saying the console have you can do it with a PC.... and have more freedom too.....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:31 pm »

God, this looks like it's going to be a massive pile of shit.  I really do mean that, and as a guy who owned both of the previous Xboxs and really enjoyed them.  IF I even bother to get a new console it will definitely end up being the PS4.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:15:10 pm »

Yeah now console are quite simply a PC running on TV with, well you said it, obligatory peripherals and LOTS of bullcrap DRM.... If they are trying to sell a frigging PC with less feature than a PC..... I wonder, but really wonder WHY ppl are really buying them, because all what they are saying the console have you can do it with a PC.... and have more freedom too.....
I think one of the primary appeals behind consoles is that you don't have to worry about whether a newly-released game will work on your system or not, whereas with computers you have to upgrade somewhat frequently or spend a crapton of money on all the newest and best parts.

As an example: My used Xbox 360 can play Skyrim just fine. My laptop which is newer and cost about as much doesn't have a chance in hell of running it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:01 pm »

I think one of the primary appeals behind consoles is that you don't have to worry about whether a newly-released game will work on your system or not, whereas with computers you have to upgrade somewhat frequently or spend a crapton of money on all the newest and best parts.

As an example: My used Xbox 360 can play Skyrim just fine. My laptop which is newer and cost about as much doesn't have a chance in hell of running it.

Other than, you know, never getting to use any of the mods. Which is at least 50% of the reason to buy a TES game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »

Other than, you know, never getting to use any of the mods. Which is at least 50% of the reason to buy a TES game.
True. But at least I'd be able to play it :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:28:04 pm »

At first I thought I was looking at an over-sized DVR...
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »

Your used Xbox 360 can play Skyrim because the developers intentionally gimp the graphics and such to make it run.  Which causes plenty of grief for PC gamers like myself when developers never bother to use better technologies (shaders, etc) for the PC version.  Also, a good part of the cost of your laptop is the screen, and $150 laptops generally aren't made to run games anyway.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »

Well, this is why they call it the Xbox ONE, isn't it?

You can only play a game ONCE.

But to be honest, this is scaring me. If microsoft tried to do this stuff with the 360, there would have been a riot. The fact they can even suggest limitations like these without HUGE backlash is horrifying.

Thank god I switched from console gaming to the PC.
I need to put something interesting here.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »

Your used Xbox 360 can play Skyrim because the developers intentionally gimp the graphics and such to make it run.  Which causes plenty of grief for PC gamers like myself when developers never bother to use better technologies (shaders, etc) for the PC version.  Also, a good part of the cost of your laptop is the screen, and $150 laptops generally aren't made to run games anyway.

I can build a more than decent computer for 500$ that will run even this years game with no problems, sure you wont have humongous 1080p full-on graphics with your reflection in NPCs eyes but you get my point. Console are locked in in everyway to make sure games run, lowest possible setting to make sure its fast and stable, just do the same on your COMPUTER and you will play the game. Laptop are for student for studying and multi-media NOT for gaming. What you pay for mobility doesnt get inside the laptop for power think about that next time you buy a computer.

Gamer = PC not laptop, not console, you need a PC, a PC opens up the WORLD literaly, with a bit of trainning you can do ANYTHING you want, hell even pay game without buying if you so desire, you can hook it up to your TV to play on your TV with a controller if you want, a piece breaks down on your PC? No worry you know for sure it wont cost more than 100 for a BRAND new piece that will MOST LIKeLY upgrade your system at the same time. Your console breaks down? Well if you are lucky uyou can ask to exange it but if you do you loose everything that was stored on it, at worst you send it back to the manufacturer, wait over 3-4 week if not more because it felt in the backlog and youll get it back after hurdles with post etc.

Im running on the same PC i bought 10 years ago, upgrading it piece by piece once in a while, sure it did cost me more than buying a console but my maintenance/upgrade in the end cost me less and allows me to do sooo much more than a console... Back in the SNES days with cardtridge, you would plug the game in and be done with it, now what will happen to the shpos that used to rents game? wont be possible because once the disc is used.... you have to pay to install it.

I remember renting lots of game to try them out now its over and done.... These company will most likely make less money because of that, just to make sure they get MAOR sales.... frigging idiotic custume clown.... Anyway back to console... the more it goes the more tech they cram in, the more freedom they cram out... Makes me think of something else, the more security they cram in the less rights/liberty they cram out... its not an oppression for sure, but a gamer's rights oppression for sure if you want my point of view, and ppl seem to like it because ITS SHINEY!!!!.... Poor lads....

The only thing i can understand and handheld console, 3ds, vita, psp, tablets etc those are usefull, and i think its the only place where they cannot enforce an always online DRM, and is the only console i buy, portability and no fking around doing hoopdty-loops for playing a frigging game.

My rants over....

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 03:53:50 pm »

Well, this is why they call it the Xbox ONE, isn't it?

You can only play a game ONCE.

But to be honest, this is scaring me. If microsoft tried to do this stuff with the 360, there would have been a riot. The fact they can even suggest limitations like these without HUGE backlash is horrifying.

Thank god I switched from console gaming to the PC.
Welconme aboard and im happy you saw the light and real god worthy platform to play games on. Now the only fking thing that will happen is they will realise they are loosing market shares to PC and will think its BECOSE FO TEH PIRATS!!!! quick MORE DRM MAOR!!!!!

Burn in hell..., Makes me think of a kid, a kid put his finger on an electric outlet and get electrocuted ONCE for his life and learn its dangerous, while on the other hand.... these guys.... simply get electrocuted.... and instead of learning.. they simply go on another outlet.... and get electrocuted again and cry its the powerplants fault....

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »

Hmmm ok buy a disk once and never use it again.... What's the point of buying the disk in the first place and not just downloading the game.

Also sounds like ubi soft on lots and lots of steroids, if Xbox gets away with such horrific DRM how long till Sony think that's a good idea as well for PS4 and then consoles will forever be stuck like that.

This year ( or what ever year this is meant to be released ) marks a death for console gaming.

EDIT:
Also I have been wondering say your new Xbox one breaks ( because MS can't build hardware for shit ) and it's not connected to the Internet or anything would that not mean you would have to pay for all your games again on the replacement Xbox ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:08:38 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »

You might as well cut the middleman out and just do a straight download if you need to connect to the internet to install the game. It's like a massive leap back in all regards.

PS. I don't buy the no internet connection needed bullshit.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:18:32 pm by majikero »

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:28:55 pm »

Hmmm ok buy a disk once and never use it again.... What's the point of buying the disk in the first place and not just downloading the game.

Also sounds like ubi soft on lots and lots of steroids, if Xbox gets away with such horrific DRM how long till Sony think that's a good idea as well for PS4 and then consoles will forever be stuck like that.

This year ( or what ever year this is meant to be released ) marks a death for console gaming.

EDIT:
Also I have been wondering say your new Xbox one breaks ( because MS can't build hardware for shit ) and it's not connected to the Internet or anything would that not mean you would have to pay for all your games again on the replacement Xbox ?
I expect it would probably be just transferring your xbox live account to the new xbox.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37