Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100237 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2013, 10:49:59 pm »

You missed my point:  You've softballed me once, which hardly is really pressing me. 

I wouldn't usually care, as you seem to be being systematic about how you approach your scumhunting.  But you're using having put pressure on me to answer a question, but I don't see where you've been doing that.

Okay, no--you're right, I didn't answer that question as specifically as I should have.  I was trying to answer the accusation that I was tunneling, but quoted that thing about pressure.  I have clearly not pressed anyone other than Lenglon, but I have not been exclusively focusing on her either.

Given how early in the day it is, I haven't had time to press more than one person, nor would it make any sense for me to do so.  So yeah.  You're right.

So, Vector is gone so I feel like I am not obligated to have a conversation about everything else that has happened so far.

I'm not gone, but you've pissed me off to the point where I'll be waiting on answering that last post until I can do so calmly and coherently.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2013, 10:58:05 pm »

I'm not gone, but you've pissed me off to the point where I'll be waiting on answering that last post until I can do so calmly and coherently.
I'm not trying to actually be too pushy here but first I would like to say that you are probably feeling how I felt earlier. Ticked off. But That last post I made just before you "left" was a wall of text but I put it togeather calmly and I was giving you a lot of leeway to respond and defend yourself. I was trying to make a post that solidified my own points as well as a post that gave you the benefit of the doubt. So please at least answer why you are still ticked off when I'm trying to be fair.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »

I dunno, why are you ticked off when all I'm doing from my perspective is trying to teach you how to play?

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to defend against.  You've done a lot of insulting me, but in game terms you've brought nothing.  So I don't feel at all bad about waiting before I sit down and explain to you why you should pay attention to what I have to say and why I say it the way I do.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2013, 11:10:54 pm »

Pup: ok, you want a situation, how about the same RVS question I asked captain ford:
Captain: final hypothedical. you are mafia. it is night 1. on day 1 a bandwagon was forming on a townie. they claimed cop. do you NK the claimed cop or someone else? if someone else, the following day the cop claims to have investigated a random townie and found them clean. do you fakeclaim jailer?
since you claim to have put thought into the jailer role, why is fakeclaiming jailer a valid option in this situation?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2013, 11:15:07 pm »

To be frank, I have stated my reasons multiple time for being angry and I have stated why I am not scumhunting right now. I have been active. Just not in that department. In this period I think I would prefer to be asked something anyway like I said before. That will help people get to know me and the way I think. This will help me work with everyone as well.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2013, 11:17:40 pm »

I didn't say you were inactive, I said that you're pissing me off.

I've asked you questions, but apparently your heart is set on an RVS question.  Ooookay.  Favorite scumbuddies and a list of the folks you'd fear most as scum.

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2013, 11:37:05 pm »

I don't know what you mean by favorite scumbudies. I'll go with the meaning I think. My favorite scumbudies would probably be ford of Lenglon. Ford seems to have a lot of history and has not drawn any attention to himself so far. People also seem to get along with him and charisma is a good weapon as scum. Lenglon simply because she is smart and I value that as a major strength. Meta game has also allowed me to know her better so I don't know. Some people I am afraid of being scum would be Ford once again and GriffionDay. He seems to be smart and doesn't give a scummy vibe. A null vibe really. And That is good, he isn't too chummy but keeps to solid reasoning.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2013, 12:14:36 am »

This is why i check in every couple hours. So i don't have to go through two pages full of text walls everytime i post. Ugh.

Shinigami: Okay, quick check shows that you don't get along with Vector's style of play. The only thing anger does is make you more suspicious. (Vector less so as she's always angry at someone) If you want to be able to deal with Vector with a clear head, find some common ground. Butting heads does nothing.

Vector: Your treating shinigami the same way you did me in Magic Mafia day 1. Please keep a level head with him, for all our sakes.

Cheesecake: Get in here dude, before you have to read 9 pages of ranting.

Demdemeh: Once you get the basics down, the games fairly easy to understand. Playing well though, that comes down to how quickly you learn the how to play the 3+ sides of mafia.
Okay, i'm going to post questions in the morning when i'm more focused. (i've lost a lot of sleep over the weekend)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2013, 12:25:06 am »

Shinigami:
To be frank, I have stated my reasons multiple time for being angry and I have stated why I am not scumhunting right now. I have been active. Just not in that department. In this period I think I would prefer to be asked something anyway like I said before. That will help people get to know me and the way I think. This will help me work with everyone as well.
So what have you been doing if not scum-hunting?  Because that pretty much leaves active lurking...  You jump in and accuse Vector of messing up your game by tunneling someone, and tell her to stop because it's affecting your zen.  You then do... pretty much nothing related to the game except offer weak RVS type questions.

So, Vector is gone so I feel like I am not obligated to have a conversation about everything else that has happened so far.
Really now... Two things.  One: this is a forum game and not a chat game, just because she's gone doesn't mean shes not still very much a part of the game and you still need to address the points she's making.  Two: "everything else that has happened so far" is another way of saying "the entire game" We're still missing a couple people but it's highly unlikely that both of the scum have been absent: you can afford to look through their replies to find something to prod people about.

Grffin- You have been on today, what are your opinions of Vector, Lenglon and myself. I'm not asking for anything specific but you have the most info on us so yeah.
Griffion- Same goes to you I guess.
"You guess"?  Do you actually care about the question, or are you just trying to poll the aerie (see what I did there?) to make your reads look townish with no effort?

Since you asked though:
Vector: Leaning Town; she's been pressing her reads and trying to identify scum; she's tunneled a bit, but as she pointed out this is very early D1.
Lenglon: Leaning Scum; it's a pet theory of mine that if someone starts playing scummy and then shapes up quickly they are probably scum getting yelled at in the scumchat.  Obviously this only applies to noobs, but Lenglon fits this model to well for me to dismiss him as a likely scum.
You: Leaning Scum; with the previous read in mind your actions appear to be buddying Lenglon and providing a smokescreen for him by attacking his primary critic without reason, and then lobbing him a couple softball questions to help him get back on track.  Even if I make the assumption that Lenglon isn't scum; I still see your attack on Vector as suspicious because you actively disrupted someone's scum hunt while accusing them of disrupting yours.  You admit to this being your first time through RVS and feel justified in accusing somone else of playing this part of the game wrong...

Anyone- If you have questions we still are on RVS seeing as the majority of players haven't put much out yet. I would like everyone to get to know my way of thinking so ask all you want.
*points to here* RVS is a person by person thing and is not actually required to play the game properly.

And new favorite post:
Ford ... has not drawn any attention to himself so far.
Ford hasn't posted yet, so of course he's not drawn attention to himself.

Lenglon:
No I've not forgotten about you,

Pup: ok, you want a situation, how about the same RVS question I asked captain ford:
Captain: final hypothedical. you are mafia. it is night 1. on day 1 a bandwagon was forming on a townie. they claimed cop. do you NK the claimed cop or someone else? if someone else, the following day the cop claims to have investigated a random townie and found them clean. do you fakeclaim jailer?
since you claim to have put thought into the jailer role, why is fakeclaiming jailer a valid option in this situation?
Same question right back at you.  Why would fakeclaiming a jailer be a valid option?  It seems like a stupid option to me; as that will lead to a counter claim or being locked away by the real jailer.

You seem to be avoiding noticing that you're being buddied (something appears VERY scum to me).  What is your read on Shinigami?  Are you two REALLY that bad of a scum team that we know both of you before the day even technically starts?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2013, 12:30:23 am »

Vector: Your treating shinigami the same way you did me in Magic Mafia day 1. Please keep a level head with him, for all our sakes.

I'm doing my best, dude.  Just a bit upset because it looks like my style is outdated and I should have gotten someone more, I don't know, likable and by-the-book to play in my stead.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2013, 12:37:29 am »

Griff: If they are both scum, i will question probability or just laugh at Tiruin making last games top Townies Scum this game.

Vector: Your style works as long as your temper doesn't show in your posts. Its more a challenge to adjust to, rather than outdated. Your a likeable person once people get to know you so don't sell yourself short there. Just try to be your non-angry self and you become much easier to understand, and get along with.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2013, 12:41:25 am »

Vector:

I'm doing my best, dude.  Just a bit upset because it looks like my style is outdated and I should have gotten someone more, I don't know, likable and by-the-book to play in my stead.
[buddying]
*Points to here*
I still completely agree with your philosophy on how you are going to go about this, and think that you'll be an invaluable IC.  Also I think Ford will make a nice balance to you to show two play styles; one that will get you lynched D1 and one that works and is often emulated.  Unless you can get Jim in here I can't think of an IC I'd rather have.

Your refusal to use IC voice is appreciated as I feel the IC voice is abused often; and I think the real reason scum won so many games.  You're treating us as simi-equals and that comes across to those of us who care about such things.  I'll not give you free pass like I did last game, but you still have all of my respect.

As for your temper?  Shini completely deserved it.
[/buddying] 

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:16 am »

Vote standings:

• RangerCado -
  • Griffionday -
  • Lenglon(1) - Vector
  • Cheesecake -
  • griffinpup -
  • Demdemeh(0) - 
  • Shinigami_King(2) - Demdemeh, Griffionday
  • Vector(1) - Shinigami_King
  • Captain Ford -
  • Not Voting(5) - Cheesecake, Captain Ford, RangerCado, Lenglon, griffinpup

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 23, 2013 [Thursday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

"Time Elapsed: Three minutes since last move."
"I'm just getting warmed up, just you wait darn you."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2013, 01:57:15 am »

Yeah, the reason why I say "outdated" was because controlled anger used to be town's best weapon.  Being scum was not so much about being clever as having a heart of ice.  Well, also about being clever.  But your number one skill was learning to keep calm when you had five votes on you and everyone jumping down your throat trying to get you to act scared, because more often than not if you could do that, then they'd all go away and pester someone else.

And your number one skill as town was learning to bare your teeth and, point by point, dismantle an argument completely.

*shrug*

Hey Shinigami, sit tight.  This is going to be a long post but I ~promise~ that it will be worthwhile, teehee!  Besides, you wrote most of it <3

I don't know what you mean by favorite scumbudies. I'll go with the meaning I think. My favorite scumbudies would probably be ford of Lenglon. Ford seems to have a lot of history and has not drawn any attention to himself so far. People also seem to get along with him and charisma is a good weapon as scum. Lenglon simply because she is smart and I value that as a major strength. Meta game has also allowed me to know her better so I don't know. Some people I am afraid of being scum would be Ford once again and GriffionDay. He seems to be smart and doesn't give a scummy vibe. A null vibe really. And That is good, he isn't too chummy but keeps to solid reasoning.

Favorite scumbuddies means "who you'd most like to play scum with."  Thank you for the acceptable answer to my very boring question.  I hope we all learned something from this encounter.

But you don't seem to thrilled being an IC seeing as you were hesitant to be one in the first place and you aren't even using your IC voice.

I have a 15-page paper on a 2500-page Chinese novel due on the 22nd.  When I signed up for this, I also had a 10-page math research paper due on that Friday.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get it done, so I was hesitant to sign up.

I'm not using my IC voice because I have no interest in fucking over you and everyone else.  Newbies seemed to come out better-trained before we had people pretending that they were making unbiased statements in-game.  I'd like to experiment along with the new setup to see if this will work better.

What I'm trying to say is while you may be a strong player, it doesn't mean you are a strong IC and you can't just wave that title around. As far as the big headed thing goes, I personally am big headed. This however doesn't stop you from being big headed as well.

It's my job to tell you what to do, to the best of my knowledge.  It's your job to see if my advice is good and works for you.

You can say I'm a bad IC all you want, but unless you have some concrete complaints other than "Whaaaa, I don't like Vector, she's attacking my friend and she sucks!" or a specific replacement you want to call in, I suggest you sit down and shut up.

People think differently so I guess a good way to say things here is you disrupt my thinking because you are sending a bunch of aggressive posts in succession which just throws me off my game. It may be your play style and you seem to want to throw people off their game as it is your style of scum hunting. This is not beneficial to the group however so I dislike your play style.

If it catches scum, it's beneficial to the group.  It catches scum.  ==> It's beneficial to the group.  QED.

I keep on trying to find out what you want me to do differently, but all I'm hearing is that you don't like my play style, you don't like me, you wish I would post less, and you don't like that I'm asking people questions that have to do with things they've actually done in-game.

I see absolutely no reason to change any of these things.

Here is your first assignment in playing Mafia well, Shinigami_King!  If you can't convince the group of your point, then you might as well not have any information in the first place!  So here you go.  Convince a majority of players that I'm a terrible IC and ought to be replaced, or at the very least killed.  I'm obviously not going to change my position, so you have to talk everyone else into it.

Godspeed~

I'll try to during the week but right now you seem very active and I have a problem with your style so I figure I might as well join in with this whole thing and see how much information we, myself and the group can get from who is active at this time.

If you're trying to get information, perhaps you should ask me why I'm behaving the way I am.  "What is the theory behind your method of scumhunting, O Great and Noble Vector?"

If you don't want to answer questions, then don't answer questions; just tell us you're taking the weekend off.  But none of this crap.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2013, 05:55:45 am »

Gosh darnit. I... I don't know anymore. I leave for a few days and I have to read pages of long text.

Long text+short attention span+small phone screen=sad cheesecake.

Anyways, honestly I don't know who to vote for. All of the text! It burns my eyes. I'll vote later (if that's allowed) and I promise I'll play properly the next round and when I figure things out.

((Sorry for being such a bad player, I'll try to keep up next time.))
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 51