Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4171000 times)

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r4
« Reply #1170 on: September 05, 2014, 01:29:17 pm »

Noticed something really strange. Switching graphics seems to reset all the modifications I made to the main raws?

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2014, 02:00:33 pm »

Noticed something really strange. Switching graphics seems to reset all the modifications I made to the main raws?
Yep, graphics overwrite raws. When you hit "Install Graphics":

Are you sure?

Your graphics, settings and raws will be changed.

[OK][Cancel]

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »

I guess I didn't expect it to change tissue properties, metal data, and dwarf max age. Seemed pretty unrelated to tilesets.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:05 pm »

So broken, so my cursor is stuck on a z level i guess?  I click with the mouse and it views something on a different level and a different area, if I move the arrow keys, it switches view level and view area.  The game is completely unplayable like this, i cant even select anything.  To clarify, I am just starting, just got into the game, have done nothing but try to click one of the dwarves by the wagon.

EDIT: ok, reading back through the thread, even though im not crashing i still tried multilevel 0 in console and it fixed it completely, *stops panicking*.  That multilevel view thing realllly screws crap up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:14:30 pm by Gnomeknows »
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »

I guess I didn't expect it to change tissue properties, metal data, and dwarf max age. Seemed pretty unrelated to tilesets.

The way graphics packs work now, any raw file they touch is overwritten with a fresh copy tucked away in the LNP/graphics folder.  You could make your modifications there if you plan on switching sets a lot.

There is a project underway to let packs change only the tags they need to change, but it's not ready yet.  When finished, it would work on mods and graphics packs.  But it's not ready yet.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 06, 2014, 03:59:05 pm »

The way graphics packs work now, any raw file they touch is overwritten with a fresh copy tucked away in the LNP/graphics folder.  You could make your modifications there if you plan on switching sets a lot.

There is a project underway to let packs change only the tags they need to change, but it's not ready yet.  When finished, it would work on mods and graphics packs.  But it's not ready yet.
PyLNP already implements this, although I'm not sure how stable it is yet.
Edit: At the moment, it only appears to support patching (d_)init.txt, although patching raws could be possible.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:03:27 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

SpoCk0nd0pe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #1176 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »

My own modification of this [TITLE:Wiki - raw materials to make tools, heaps of coal (minmax build)] out of the extras folder works well (for me anyway):
Discipling and swimming 1 on all.
1. Mining 1-3 & Armorsmith 5   
2. Mining 1-3 & Weaponsmith 5
3. Carpenter 1, Woodcutting 1, Diagnose 2, Dress wounds 1, Surgery 1, Set bone 1, Suture 1
4. Plant 5, Brewing 1-2 Armorsmith 1 (in case of strange mood)
5. Plant 5, Cooking 1-2, Armorsmith 1 (in case of strange mood)
6. Masonry 3, Architect 1, Appraiser 1, Judge of intent 1, Persuasion 1, Negotiator 1 or possibly Mechanic and Stonecrafter 1 instead of the last 2 (becomes leader and broker)
7. Metalcraft 5 (mechanic instead if you are really into traps), Smelt 1, Wood burning 1, Blacksmith 1 (or really anything you want here depending on embark conditions and your plans)

I really like your approach! Is the metalcraft 5 for bolt smithing? I'm also thinking about giving dwarfs single medical skills since you do not wish to train them on your wounded dwarfs. Woodcutting is completely useless at the start imho because most of your time will be spent hurling all the blocks. At later stages the hurling time takes even more time. This is probably new to 0.4x versions though since the trees yield a lot of blocks.

What would you cut if you tried to start out with a dedicated hunter/marksdwarf and how would you skill him?

I tend to have problems acquiring the leather needed for military uses (quivers+backpacks). What poultry is best suited to help in this regard btw? From the wiki I think Blue Peafowl but I'm not sure, maybe there is poultry that yields leather when butchered without being fully grown?

Another thing I couldn't really find info about is how profession impacts skill rust and xp gain when dwarfs do different work. Does it have an impact at all? Having read the wiki article about moodable skills it seems that you do not want your weapon/armor smiths to become miners.

Thanks in advance for any tips on those matters!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:20:25 pm by SpoCk0nd0pe »

c6r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 08, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »

DFHack has been updated!  :D  Woot!

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #1178 on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:30 pm »

My own modification of this [TITLE:Wiki - raw materials to make tools, heaps of coal (minmax build)] out of the extras folder works well (for me anyway):
Discipling and swimming 1 on all.
1. Mining 1-3 & Armorsmith 5   
2. Mining 1-3 & Weaponsmith 5
3. Carpenter 1, Woodcutting 1, Diagnose 2, Dress wounds 1, Surgery 1, Set bone 1, Suture 1
4. Plant 5, Brewing 1-2 Armorsmith 1 (in case of strange mood)
5. Plant 5, Cooking 1-2, Armorsmith 1 (in case of strange mood)
6. Masonry 3, Architect 1, Appraiser 1, Judge of intent 1, Persuasion 1, Negotiator 1 or possibly Mechanic and Stonecrafter 1 instead of the last 2 (becomes leader and broker)
7. Metalcraft 5 (mechanic instead if you are really into traps), Smelt 1, Wood burning 1, Blacksmith 1 (or really anything you want here depending on embark conditions and your plans)

I really like your approach! Is the metalcraft 5 for bolt smithing? I'm also thinking about giving dwarfs single medical skills since you do not wish to train them on your wounded dwarfs. Woodcutting is completely useless at the start imho because most of your time will be spent hurling all the blocks. At later stages the hurling time takes even more time. This is probably new to 0.4x versions though since the trees yield a lot of blocks.

What would you cut if you tried to start out with a dedicated hunter/marksdwarf and how would you skill him?

I tend to have problems acquiring the leather needed for military uses (quivers+backpacks). What poultry is best suited to help in this regard btw? From the wiki I think Blue Peafowl but I'm not sure, maybe there is poultry that yields leather when butchered without being fully grown?

Another thing I couldn't really find info about is how profession impacts skill rust and xp gain when dwarfs do different work. Does it have an impact at all? Having read the wiki article about moodable skills it seems that you do not want your weapon/armor smiths to become miners.

Thanks in advance for any tips on those matters!

Metalcraft 5 for general crafting utility (tradegoods), metal bolts are made by weaponsmith. I've found you can make it with anything for trading. My current game I got carried away digging and building and I forgot about the caravan til it showed. Last minute I had my low-skilled carpenter making wooden corkscrews and I still was able to trade for just about everything the caravan had.

Number 7 (the metalsmith) is the dwarf I would cut for the marksdwarf if you want to start out with one (which is a very good idea for more difficult embarks). Markswarf 5 and...ambush is used for hunting. I don't know how fast it trains or how much effect it really has. I've not a lot of experience with hunting. I'd probably go with a level of armor, shield and ambush (and of course swimming & discipline) since it seems to me armor and shield take forever to get the 1st level on an untrained dwarf.

The birds, I wish I knew. I'm having bad luck again in that I seem to have gotten a sterile bunch for embark. It takes a few years to get your leather industry going no matter what it seems. I butcher everything I can and make sure to trade for all the leather and any packs & quivers I can afford the first few caravans.

You are correct that letting the smiths get their mining skill high is counterproductive for strange moods. Depending what my first two migrant waves look like I try to retire them from mining asap, sometimes you get lucky and have high level smiths immigrate (like my current game) so the starters may remain miners their whole lives. I've also been starting that 7th (metalsmith) as a miner as well, so I have 3 to start with. When they aren't crafting I'll have weapon and armorsmith work the furnaces as well. Skill-rust doesn't seem to be that big a deal. Pretty easy to prevent/get rid of if you just remember to have them do said skill at least once or twice a year. Medical of course there's nothing you can do (other than purposely get someone injured). Discipline on civilians will keep rust-free if you make them go by the corpse pile (requires corpses of course) once in a while. Anytime they get horrified they will get xp. Really squeamish ones I have seen get to lvl 4.

Medical I am not sure it pays to spread the skills around. Current game I've gotten a lot of immigrants with 1-2 very high medical skills, but I am starting to strongly suspect that the dr skills don't affect the quality of treatment but only time to perform task (like many other skills). I've got 1 gimp around for a few years who got really badly wounded early on, was cleaned, sutured, dressed, splinted etc. Still walks on a crutch (motor nerve damage and torn arteries in his leg which I guess are not fixable by dwarven medicine) and has trouble breathing & an infection in lungs and upper body (had a lung puncture) I retired him from military duty, let him go back to his original profession of hunter, figured let him die doing what he enjoyed, but he has become an effective hunter even with his injuries (I notice he does clean himself frequently which keeps his infection under control I guess). I'm rambling again, but anyway, treatment history shows everything required was done, original diagnosis by a lvl 6 but subsequents by a lvl 13 so I doubt anything was missed. The few other wounded (who didn't get brutally killed in battle) I had have had 100% recovery from their injuries, even one with a broken back (arrow vs steel mail, guess it was just a chipped bone) and my bone dr isn't very skilled.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 08, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »

Please take discussion of embark profiles to another thread.  I'm happy to have finished profiles proposed for inclusion in the pack, but they should be hashed out elsewhere to avoid getting off-topic. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 08, 2014, 07:38:41 pm »

Please take discussion of embark profiles to another thread.  I'm happy to have finished profiles proposed for inclusion in the pack, but they should be hashed out elsewhere to avoid getting off-topic.

Sorry, was intending a quick reply to a question, but as usual for me, it got long-winded. Can you get a mod to split it off?
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Tinfect

• Bay Watcher
  • Want an Orange?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »

Uh, hey, is any one else getting an error where the Download does not work?
Wizard one casts a Spell, Wizard two casts a Counterspell. Wizard one casts another Spell, Wizard two casts another Counterspell. Army comes along and chops 'em both up.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_11 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #1182 on: September 08, 2014, 08:07:36 pm »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_11 r2!  As usual, you can get it here.

This update brings DF 40.11, and updates to all the graphics packs and so on from 40.10 r4 - TwbT will take a few days more to update, but many more dfhack scripts have been added.  Strike the earth!

Changelog:
 - added DFHack 40.11-r1
 - enabled LNP DFHack tab
 - added vjeck's scripts; rejuvenate, armoks_blessing, brainwash, elevate_mental, elevate_physical, make_legendary, pref_adjust
 - added Putnams scripts; gaydar, badThoughtCheck
 - added Lethosor's scripts and keybindings; adv-max-skills, load-screen, manager-quantity, settings-manager, title-version
 - added many keybindings and enablers to start of dfhack.init
 - updated Phoebus and Ironhand to official verions for 40_11

MD5:  864710C2A7907F09B3CE2512DD9672B1
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:11:48 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_11 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #1183 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:23 pm »

The Starter Pack has updated to 40_11 r2!  As usual, you can get it here.

This update brings DF 40.11, and updates to all the graphics packs and so on from 40.10 r4 - TwbT will take a few days more to update, but many more dfhack scripts have been added.  Strike the earth!

Changelog:
 - added DFHack 40.11-r1
 - enabled LNP DFHack tab
 - added vjeck's scripts; rejuvenate, armoks_blessing, brainwash, elevate_mental, elevate_physical, make_legendary, pref_adjust
 - added Putnams scripts; gaydar, badThoughtCheck
 - added Lethosor's scripts and keybindings; adv-max-skills, load-screen, manager-quantity, settings-manager, title-version
 - added many keybindings and enablers to start of dfhack.init
 - updated Phoebus and Ironhand to official verions for 40_11

MD5:  864710C2A7907F09B3CE2512DD9672B1
Sig updated with torrent info, wiki will be updated shortly. also updated.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:30:23 pm by salithus »

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 08, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »

Uh, hey, is any one else getting an error where the Download does not work?

Looks like you just caught Peridexis as he was uploading the new one. Try again? :)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 385