Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FoV and low FPS in games making people feel sick?  (Read 11938 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FoV and low FPS in games making people feel sick?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 08:16:16 pm »

GTA IV could run on my laptop with an FPS rate of only 5-10 frames per second.
I've completed it anyway!

* freeformschooler salutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYALAL9toOw
*salute*

As for FPS... i guess people just get used to having high FPS and begin noticing whne games are slower then that DESPITE that in theory everything above 20 FPS (assuming it's a stable 20 fps) should move smoothly to the average human eye.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 08:20:16 pm »

As for FPS... i guess people just get used to having high FPS and begin noticing whne games are slower then that DESPITE that in theory everything above 20 FPS (assuming it's a stable 20 fps) should move smoothly to the average human eye.

I don't know what kind of "theory" this is, but it's wrong. I'm pretty sure most of the people here could tell the difference between 20 and 60 graphical frames per second, stuttering or no. Hell, I know I can, considering how many awful computers I've used and owned.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 08:37:15 pm »

I don't know what kind of "theory" this is, but it's wrong. I'm pretty sure most of the people here could tell the difference between 20 and 60 graphical frames per second, stuttering or no. Hell, I know I can, considering how many awful computers I've used and owned.
Well that mostly depends on the speed things are moving but in theory you shouldn't see tearing at 20 frames and anything above 30 should be impossible to notice.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 08:43:09 pm »

Again, what theory? 20 FPS is hardly that high, and it's a whole lot more noticeable than in film because there isn't any sort of motion blur (except in modern games that try to simulate it, I guess).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 08:44:30 pm »

There's a sight of difference between consistent 30FPS and consistent 60FPS. Stuttering just makes it more noticeable. Speaking from my experience with WoT in particular, I can pull a constant 40FPS with high graphical settings, but I play with low settings for a consistent 90FPS because there is a bloody great change in the responsiveness.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

You can totally tell the difference.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 08:56:14 pm »

I believe what solinoran is getting at is that the human eye can only see at something like 25 Frames per second.

What he's not getting, though, is that the length of the frames might be the same, but the time it changes at might be different. So, for example, Game A changes it's frames at 1.01, 1.05, 1.09, 1.13 etc, but your eye looks for the change at 1.00, 1.04, 1.08, 1.12 etc. Or something like that.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 02:33:59 am »

The human eye does not have a refresh rate as it is not digital.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 04:23:01 am »

That's wrong for another reason unmentioned so far:
What essentially happens at about 20fps is that your brain is able and willing to fill in the gaps, as it is trained to by evolution and experience. For example, this is useful if you want to catch something that moves rather fast. You can easily check this to fail by having something at the border of your vision. I can definitely see lights flickering at the frequency of 50Hz the local power network has, and I claim to be reliable able to distinguish between lights flickering at 25, 50 and 100 Hz that way.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 11:41:27 am »

The low FOV thing is basically a form of motion sickness, whilst the low FPS thing is the noticing jitter in what is being viewed. Personally 30fps doesn't bother me, but I can see a difference, whilst if a game is at 20fps it's rather notable. Low FOV will make me a little motion sick after awhile (And a lot of console-centric shooter's have an FOV of 65 which is just stupid), but 120 FOV is too big and feels odd. I tend to be most comfortable around the 85-95 region.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 02:14:26 pm »

It's worth noting that in video games and other computer animations, motion blur is often used over frames to smooth out the jankiness of movement. Because most animations don't perfectly represent how things move, things like characters running are really just models sliding around with animations playing. The blur isn't as dramatic as in racing games or annoying graphical effects, instead just kind of phasing the image over itself a bit opposite the direction it's moving. I'd imagine for some people that this could cause eye strain if they're used to a high framerate, but it still really sounds psychosomatic when they complain about something like 50 FPS.

This is also one of the reasons why recorded film can play at a lower FPS and not be noticeable, as genuine movement is inherently perfect (in that regard, anyway), even at lowish framerates.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 02:51:51 pm »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 03:14:38 pm »

There's a pretty huge difference between 30 and 60. Though I do know there's people out there that stop seeing a difference after 30 and I'm not sure why that is.

I personally start feeling uncomfortable and my eye tires out faster if I have to do something at 30> fps. Not sure if that has to do more with personal preference/comfort or the fact I only have one eye. FOV has never really had an effect on me either besides confusing me if it's too damn high and causes some fish-eyeness, or if it's not very well optimized and it makes distance difficult to judge.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »

Hmm, so I know the human eye only really runs at about 40 fps, but I know that some people have claimed that it can perceive differences in frame rates beyond that.

How does that work? Does the eye just see the blurring of frames running together?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »

for me low FPS often feel sluggish and lumpy.
once i get about 30 fps im fine, but 60 feel a lot smoother.

with FOV i like a nice 90+ the tunnel vision of cod is just wrong.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 [2]