Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs  (Read 12325 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
XCOMEU01
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2013, 02:12:35 am »

So it looks like Europe won the vote. Let's get started, shall we?

Spoiler: UPDATE (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:05:38 pm by AlleeCat »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2013, 03:04:18 pm »

HOW'D I MISS THIS? :o

Let's see, if we're going for a Metal Gear theme...how about naming Metsuda "Otacon"?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:44 am »

HOW'D I MISS THIS? :o

Let's see, if we're going for a Metal Gear theme...how about naming Metsuda "Otacon"?
I dunno, I think maybe "Fatman" would be a more fitting name, him being the explosives expert and all. I think Otacon would be a more fitting name for a guy that looks Asian, but is actually full-blooded Canadian or something. Actually, do they even have Canadian soldiers in this game?

Well I'll be damned...
It's a moot point at the moment anyway, because none of these guys have even advanced to a rank where they can get nicknames yet!

Anyway, update time!

Spoiler: UPDATE (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:06:35 pm by AlleeCat »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2013, 01:41:14 pm »

Nice to see that this is alive again.
Please, do NOT give Mutsuda a blaster launcher.  Nothing will be left standing. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:47 pm »

Please ... give Mutsuda a blaster launcher.  Nothing will be left standing.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2013, 11:57:30 pm »

You guys thought I forgot about you, didn't you?
Well I almost did... But then I remembered! Let's get back into action!
Right off the bat, we get a UFO contact.

Time to scramble the interceptor!

[RAVEN-1] I have eyes on the bandit.
Air combat is a bit less complicated this time around. All we get for now is the option to pull our fighter out of the battle if things get too hot. So basically, we'll never lose an interceptor unless I completely space out. The abort button isn't going to be used anyway, because as far as I know, the first UFO encounter is always an automatic success.

[CUTSCENE - STILL IN ONE PIECE]

So Bradford wants us to send a strike team to the crash site, and that's what we'll do. But before we do that, let's look at the Assault class.
[CENTRAL] The Assault class serves as our front line. They're the first ones into a fight, and the last ones out.

Now here is our super-duper damage class. They get shotguns, which deal tons of damage but are very inaccurate at longer range. Fortunately, the Assault class starts with Run & Gun, making them amazing at hit and run tactics. These are the guys I'm going to be giving arc throwers to, because they already have to get close to be effective anyway. My only problem with Assaults is that they rarely last long. I've never seen an Assault make it past Captain. Maybe I'm using them wrong? I have no idea, but we'll have to see how long Ray here lasts. Bets anyone?

Before we go, I made sure to mess with the character customization to make Johnson look ridiculous. Sweet hairdo, homie.

[MISSION LOG - OPERATION CRYSTAL MOTHER]

[CENTRAL] Our target site is near the German border.
[CENTRAL] It looks like the aliens went down within a sparsely populated area. If there are civilians in the area, I hope they stay clear.
[ROBINSON] I've made sure they do stay clear, Bradford.
[CENTRAL] I really wish you would call me by my codename, Commander.
[ROBINSON] Bishop to queen-5.
[CENTRAL] Dammit!

[SQ JOHNSON] Looks like this thing made a pretty big impact.
[SQ MUTSUDA] Big boom! Haha!
[ROBINSON] That's to be expected Johns- Wait... What the hell did you do to your hair?
[SQ JOHNSON] What? I thought it looked cool.
[ROBINSON] You look like a damn circus clown. You know what? Forget it. Just move out.

[SQ RAY] We've got hostiles down here, Command. Very angry.

[SQ RAY] AUGH! FUCK! Very angry!
[ROBINSON] Ray, eliminate with extreme prejudice.

[SQ RAY] FUCK YOU YOU LITTLE GRAY BASTARD!
[ROBINSON] Sokolov, Ray's vitals are barely stable. Get in there and apply some medigel.
[SQ SOKOLOV] Roger, Command. Hold still; I will fix your broken face.
[SQ RAY] Har har. Just use the damn medpack.

(We almost lost Ray in one hit due to a lucky critical. Hell, if he had still been a rookie, he would have died, since as far as I know, soldiers gain one health every rank. So, in a way, being an Assault actually saved his life this time around.)
[SQ MUTSUDA] Target sighted! Firing!
[ROBINSON] At that range? You'll nev-

[ROBINSON] Well. I stand corrected. Nice work Mutsuda.
[SQ MUTSUDA] No boom... Sad day...
[SQ JOHNSON] Tossing smoke.
[SQ RAY] *cough* What the hell, man? *cough*
[SQ JOHNSON] Well they can't bloody well shoot you anymore, can they?
[SQ RAY] They ran out of range!
[SQ JOHNSON] Because they knew they wouldn't be able to hit you!
[SQ RAY] Whatever. Moving up.

[SQ RAY] Damn. Shot failed.
[SQ JOHNSON] Well what did you expect at that range with a bloody shotgun?
[ROBINSON] Boys, can we stop the bickering and get back to the action?

[SQ SOKOLOV] What is this? New contact spotted!

[ROBINSON] Well this is new...
[CENTRAL] Wait... You're surprised? That's not a good sign...
[DR VAHLEN] Our readings can't be right! If they were, that's a being of almost pure energy.
[ROBINSON] What kind? Electrical? Solar?
[DR VAHLEN] No, Robinson. Just. Pure. Energy.

[SQ MUTSUDA] Haha! That tickles!
(And here we have the reverse side of Damage Roulette. At least this time, it's working for us, and not against us.)

[ROBINSON] Well, that wasn't so tough. Looks like it disintegrated, though. No chance of body recovery.
[CENTRAL] Good work as always, StrikeOne. Pack up and head home. We'll send a team out to recover the UFO.

[END]

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2013, 12:04:51 am »

Noice work.

Incidentally, an Assault that reaches max rank is a thing to be feared on the battlefield. Like you said, they tend to die a lot due to needing to get close in order to work their magic, but once they get in range? Very few things can survive. My most successful winning squad had two max-level assaults, one with a top-tier shotgun and the other with a plasma rifle. Seemed to work pretty well.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2013, 12:17:57 am »

Noice work.

Incidentally, an Assault that reaches max rank is a thing to be feared on the battlefield. Like you said, they tend to die a lot due to needing to get close in order to work their magic, but once they get in range? Very few things can survive. My most successful winning squad had two max-level assaults, one with a top-tier shotgun and the other with a plasma rifle. Seemed to work pretty well.
Right, I forgot that Assaults aren't limited to just shotguns. I do remember giving an Assault a laser rifle once. She kicked some ass in that mission, too. Until the other teammates had to put her zombified corpse down, of course. Oh whoops, we haven't gotten that far yet...

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2013, 11:00:00 am »

I remember once that I toyed with actually using supports purely as a response force,  instead of having them close in on the enemy.  Worked rather well.   And their life expectancy improved a good bit.
As for the bet, two more missions.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2013, 11:13:44 am »

This is one of the assaults I mentioned before. He was all about running in and murderizing aliens. Hell, with the Rapid Fire perk he could even take down lategame enemies with ease.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2013, 05:48:15 am »

Oh hey! It's been a while, hasn't it?
This is one of the assaults I mentioned before. He was all about running in and murderizing aliens. Hell, with the Rapid Fire perk he could even take down lategame enemies with ease.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is that modded armor? I haven't seen anything that looks like that in vanilla. (For one thing, it has a helmet.)

Anyway let's get into it, shall we?

This item is invaluable to Snipers. We needs it. Let's make a few.
Oh yeah, and we have some promotions to make.
These first decisions are pretty easy to make, because the choices I'm making are far superior over the others.

I don't know what I would do without Squadsight. It is one of the most useful Sniper abilities. The other choice is Snap Shot, which just makes it so that you can fire after moving, albeit with a -20 aim penalty. I might be tempted to take this one if the other option was anything other than Squadsight.

Bullet Swarm is another one that is extremely useful. Missed the first shot? Try again. Did a ton of damage with a high hit rate? How about doing even more? The other option is Holo-Targeting, which increases to-hit on any enemy you fire at, regardless of hit or miss. This can be useful too, if you're building your Heavies for more of a support role. I'm not though, so Bullet Swarm!

Tactical Sense is kind of useful, but it doesn't do as much as I'd want. Aggression, however, is not something I will ever be using, because I hate relying on critical chance when I could have a little more defense instead. If Aggression gave to-hit instead of crit chance, I would snap that up in a heartbeat, but as it stands, Aggression is useless to me.
Also, you'll note that Ray is in the hospital after having his face almost blown off in the last op. I don't think I got any screens of it, but he was at 1 health before Sokolov got to him. Ray is one lucky sonuvabitch, but he's going to be out of action for a couple weeks while they put his face back on.

Oh no! It seems I cannot afford a S.C.O.P.E. (I don't know what it stands for either) at the moment! I suppose this would be a good time to show off the Gray Market.

The Gray Market takes stuff you don't want, and converts it into money! We can sell these damaged components, because they're of no use to us. Why anyone else would want them is beyond me.
Now that we have $40 more in our pockets, we could buy two S.C.O.P.E.s! But we only need one. Let's not get greedy.

Oh look! Another thing to spend our money on! Unfortunately, it will be absolutely useless without a containment facility, which we can't afford yet. Oh well.
Our next research topics are extremely limited, seeing as I barely have any weapons fragments, since I've been taking the easy route and using a lot of explosives. Hindsight is a bitch.

Oh hey, here comes a solution to both my problems!

This one was a cake-walk. Nothing interesting happened apart from Sokolov missing a lot, (Not big surprise) and Kennedy getting wounded. Not really worth half an update.
Also, Johnson and Mutsuda got promoted, and the latter has earned a nickname!

Shedder Rockets are great. Not only to they do guaranteed damage, but they also weaken enemies. I've never been able to use Suppression effectively, either, and it uses a lot of ammo. Maybe later.

Now this one is a tough choice, Sprinter (Move 3 extra tiles.) vs. Covering Fire. (Overwatch triggers on enemy attacks, not just on moves.) I'm going with Sprinter, because I want Johnson to serve more of a medic role rather than a defensive one. This will let him get to wounded soldiers faster. Three tiles may not seem like much, but it can be the difference between life and death.
So now we just need to wait for the containment facility to get built.

Or we could do something in the meantime.
Up next: BOMB DISPOSAL

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2013, 11:06:18 am »

Not modded. It's late-game armor, and I don't know how far you've gotten so I won't spoil the name or anything. The helmet comes from that soldier customization pack that got bundled with XCOM: EU's pre-order, and has nothing to do with the armor.

SCOPEs are nice. I like SCOPEs.

Suppression comes in handy because if the enemy doesn't move, they have massively reduced Aim (which can render them nearly ineffective). If they try to move, the heavy gets a free shot. However, it really becomes awesome with later perks that A: Makes it an Area of Effect ability, and B: Does guaranteed damage to affected enemies. It does take a lot of ammo however, and only really becomes viable after a certain forge project.

Can't wait to see the bomb mission!
Thin Men...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2013, 09:10:24 pm »

PTW so hard.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2013, 06:43:03 pm »

How am I not watching this? I love X-Com LPs.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2013, 10:01:03 am »

Suppression comes in handy because if the enemy doesn't move, they have massively reduced Aim (which can render them nearly ineffective). If they try to move, the heavy gets a free shot. However, it really becomes awesome with later perks that A: Makes it an Area of Effect ability, and B: Does guaranteed damage to affected enemies. It does take a lot of ammo however, and only really becomes viable after a certain forge project.

A little side note - I like suppression because it will almost always destroy the aliens' cover. In my experience, it destroys light cover 100% of the time and heavy cover almost always. Especially once you get something better than bullets. But this is something you want on a Holo-targetting support heavy; otherwise, this ability is the exact opposite of Bullet Swarm. No damage at all, twice the ammo of a regular shot.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7