Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs  (Read 12326 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some X-COM Games! - Screenshot LPs
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

Suppression comes in handy because if the enemy doesn't move, they have massively reduced Aim (which can render them nearly ineffective). If they try to move, the heavy gets a free shot. However, it really becomes awesome with later perks that A: Makes it an Area of Effect ability, and B: Does guaranteed damage to affected enemies. It does take a lot of ammo however, and only really becomes viable after a certain forge project.

A little side note - I like suppression because it will almost always destroy the aliens' cover. In my experience, it destroys light cover 100% of the time and heavy cover almost always. Especially once you get something better than bullets. But this is something you want on a Holo-targetting support heavy; otherwise, this ability is the exact opposite of Bullet Swarm. No damage at all, twice the ammo of a regular shot.
You really have to build your Heavy around Suppression for it to be effective, though. Maybe later I'll build up a support Heavy rather than a damage one.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2013, 12:38:13 pm »

One of my best squads had two Heavies in it, one built around damage and the other around support. Very good combination!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2013, 12:40:06 am »

One of my favorite things to do in XCOM:EU is give all my assaults and supports light plasma rifles.

The damage can be a whole lot less than stuff like the alloy cannon, but it's comparable to most everything in the laser tier of weapons. But the +10 bonus to aim just makes everything so much easier. Got a rookie? Give him a LPR and scope and he'll be headshotting in no time. Assaults keep getting hurt or killed? Avoid the nasty shotgun-aim penalty at range and stay behind cover. Really need this one shot to hit, so the berserker won't kill the only guy with a medkit? No problem.

Even so, my favorite moment in XCOM came a few weeks ago and it wasn't LPR-related. I was assaulting an abductor craft and practically everyone in my squad was out of ammo after taking down a squad and a half of mutons. A berserker showed up and most of my squad brought him down to just 4 hitpoints. Sniper lines up, misses. Oh shit. All I've got left is my pro assault, and he's completely out of ammo. Berserker has just enough hp so my un-upgraded pistol won't be enough to take him down. Suddenly, brilliance strikes me. Assault-guy's got an arc thrower, and he can get in range. I run up, 49% chance to stun. Cross my fingers and pull the trigger, he goes down like a ton of bricks. I was so happy.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2013, 11:33:29 am »

I was just about to update this when disaster struck! I'm probably not going to be able to update for another month now, but I haven't forgotten about it. It's not dead, it's just in a coma... on life support... with all its limbs missing... Anyway, updates are coming! I just have to deal with life first. Sorry!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2013, 11:34:59 am »

Good luck, AlleeCat!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2013, 03:35:08 pm »

Woo! New update! Bombs! Excitement! Death!
Now, It's been over a month since I actually took these screenshots, so I don't remember exactly how this mission went, but I'll just fill in the blanks as we go.

[MISSION LOG - OPERATION ENDLESS FOG]

[CENTRAL] StrikeOne, Council intel indicates the aliens are charging a plasma bomb of some kind in your vicinity. Time is running short. We need to locate and disable that weapon before they finish priming it.

[DR. SHEN] Our readings indicate this device is some sort of priming mechanism. The aliens are transferring power from it directly into the bomb itself. Disabling this "power node" should give you more time to find and disarm the explosive.
[CPL SOKOLOV] Rodger that. I will move to disable.

[ROBINSON] You've got about 4 minutes, strike team. Make 'em count.

[FATMAN] Too calm! Where are bad guys?

[CPL JOHNSON] Right over here, Mutsuda. Just waiting to get shot.
[FATMAN] Hehehe. Stupid greys!

[CPL RAY] This is too easy. It's like they want us to win.

[DR. SHEN] Looks like you found the bomb. Get over there and deactivate it.
[CPL JOHNSON] That's a bloody big bomb...
[CPL RAY] Not too heavily guarded either. I've got this.

[ROBINSON] Dammit Ray, what the hell are you doing?
[CPL RAY] Don't worry, Command, everything's- AARGH!

[ROBINSON] Have you learned your lesson yet?
[CPL RAY] Fucking... I'm outta here.

[CPL SOKOLOV] Disarming explosive.
[CENTRAL] Well done. Now you just need to eliminate any remaining hostiles.

[FATMAN] Funny looking alien! It goes boom now!

[CPL SOKOLOV] Hostile on the roof. Taking it down.

[ROBINSON] Excellent work, everyone. The council will be pleased.
[END]

All in all an outstanding success. Then again, bomb disposals are pretty easy.

Now, I've just bought Enemy Within, so I'm not exactly sure how that is going to fit in with this save. I think I may have to start a new game to get Enemy Within content, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Anyway, see you all next time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »

Yeah, if you want to do Enemy Within it'll have to be a new game.
Come play Mafia with us!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2013, 05:26:09 pm »

Hey guys, I'm going to be streaming XCOM: EW for a bit today and probably tomorrow as well. Drop by twitch.tv/alleecat2 any time. If you miss the stream, you can always watch the archive.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2013, 06:43:00 pm »

Or maybe I won't stream today, since XCOM decided to be a derp to me. Maybe later after I've calmed down and taken a nap and fixed XCOM.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:45:48 pm by AlleeCat »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2013, 09:26:23 pm »

* Sirus observes location

...probably gonna miss it whenever you do do it, since this place is not conducive to streaming video :/
Kill a few Sectoids for me!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2013, 12:06:52 pm »

XCOM: Attempt #2! Let's do this thing!
I'll probably be streaming for the better part of today. If not XCOM then maybe AC4 or RoR.

Also, I'm going to stop using this threat for advertising my streams and instead made a different thread for such things.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]