Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: "Boardpasses" Home of werewolves, vampires, !!Fun!! and inbred dwarves  (Read 6830 times)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I accidentally breached the fun stuff <spoilers>
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:37 pm »

I'm pretty interested in this one eyed hedgehog made of cream.  PTW.

Cream is the color of it's hair.

If it was made of cream, it'd just be like a living milk truck and the dwarves could slay it and make delicious demon cheese from it's malign and scrumptious remains.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »

Great, I can have a Bronze Collosus acutally made of bronze, but not a cream hedgehog actually made of cream?!  Where is the justice in this!?

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 04:05:49 pm »

Cream monster, the most delicious and squishiest of all demons.

So, if the demons can actually leave off screen, does that mean I am responsible for unleashing hell on earth?

Or secondly: Does that mean I can outlast the fun stuff just by making them bored enough?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 06:06:12 pm »

A couple of questions:

Are spear traps effective against demons?
Can mine carts be weaponized?

Yes and yes. Spear/spike traps are probably the single most practical option.

Cream monster, the most delicious and squishiest of all demons.

So, if the demons can actually leave off screen, does that mean I am responsible for unleashing hell on earth?

Or secondly: Does that mean I can outlast the fun stuff just by making them bored enough?

1) In the current release, nothing happens outside your fortress, so you're only as responsible as you imagine yourself to be.

2) I've heard several reports that this is the case, but I can't personally verify it.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 09:02:14 pm »

My theory is you are not so much unsealing hell into the world, but rather knocking a hole into their home is a pleasant surprise and they take the opportunity to kill a bunch of mortals and trash a fortress and then go back to whatever it was they were doing.

Some of them leave the underworld in world-gen, you can walk to hell in adventure mode, after all. They live forever and have perfect memory so they can 'escape' whenever they like anyways.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »

A little update on the situation.

Ngogngo Xombamxu, Forgotten beast is no longer enraged.

There is something amusing about the demons fighting a forgotten beast that seems to be made of gasoline or something very flammable.

I can't find it on the map, so I guess it is in a part that is yet to be explored.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »

I keep getting these forgotten beasts on the lower level.

The one that consist of salt actually has a fighting chance.

Surprisingly enough, against steam demons it is basicly just a game of push and shove.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 11:26:37 am »

The fun stuff might have to wait.

Though I have finally gotten the metal industry up and going, an eyeless purple Panther showed up with a trunk that breathed fire.

Anyway, my fort was very flammable. It pretty much crippled my military and now the rest of my dwarves are prone to accidental deaths and occasional berserking.

Edit:

Oh, and just to add to the fun. The queen just arrived. She's very subtle about her situation.

Edit 2:

Ever ran into the occasional friendly trader that stays by the screen edge?
Ever had a were creature come into screen, bite a dwarf, then run off again as a turned human?

I had said trader turn into a were horse now, still sitting there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:02:43 pm by Julien Brightside »

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 03:22:07 pm »

All three of those are known sources of Fun!!

If you haven't figured out Her Royal Majesty's super awesome secret hobby yet, just wait!

Having freindly "Traders" show up in a migrant wave, not move cork the inlet for the rest of the migrants is a known bug.  There are a number of work-arounds.  Search "Migrant Trader" or "Migrant Merchant" for fixes.

Lastly, since Fortress time is ~72x faster than Adventure time, that's pretty common.  They only turn for four days, then run away naked and bashful.  Pretty funny, IMO.

Now, having the bugged Migrant Trader plugging the migrant tile AND transforming at the full moon.  That is just super awesome, and I want screenshots.  I hope you have a backed up and repeatable save.  Many people may want this for SCIENCE!!  Even !!SCIENCE!!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 06:45:38 pm »

Wow! 6511 kills... not bad!

I wonder what she was doing in "Vilebit." I'm assuming that's a goblin town. Perhaps she just got sick of drinking the same old... drink... and decided to try a new one.

IIRC if a creature leaves you map, it just ceases to exist (unless this has been changed recently). So releasing those demons out into the world would actually be the most effective way of getting rid of them. They'd be instantly annihilated!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:10 pm »

I note that the queen's hair doesn't know the words 'unaging' and 'disguise' (and neither does the rest of her, judging by her profession, but that's neither here nor there).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 08:57:50 pm »

If it was made of cream, it'd just be like a living milk truck and the dwarves could slay it and make delicious demon cheese from it's malign and scrumptious remains.

I'm sigging that one.

That is all.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 03:41:36 am »

Mine some enclosed fortifications around your fort, sealed behind raised drawbridges. Link these fortifications to your demon horde.
Open the drawbridges whenever you want to unleash your hot and cold running demonic artillery.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 05:38:59 am »

How do I transfer the save for you guys to mess around with?

Edit:
Ah wait, here we go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bvnyfgdb6yvkao5

I copied the save folder and compressed it, uploaded it to mediafire and here you go.
Have fun with it.

Some things you should know:
The fort is on a glacier with a shaft dug straight down to the closest cavern. A second shaft from said cavern is also dug down, but it is covered with a floor to avoid the !!FUN!! stuff escaping.

Also, the monarch has arrived, though she is a queen vampire.

Due to a fire breathing forgotten beast, many of the military died and the rest of the dwarves are in a sore mood.

Also, there is a stockpile of troglodytes in wooden cages next to a pile of ever burning wooden artifacts that seem to set fire on their environment once in a while when the cafe moss grows back.

Oh, and there is a friendly trader on the edge of the screen that is prone to turning into a were creature once in a while. It is likely to bite the one next to him very soon.

Not to mention there is a forgotten beast toad sitting in the water pond on the third cavern layer. Been sitting there for months now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:08:24 am by Julien Brightside »

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:45 am »

Also, the monarch has arrived, though she is a queen vampire.
Give her the room she wants to keep her happy, setup a floodgate/drawbridge/hatch system to link her to the lever room. You now got yourself the perfect lever puller (she never tires, she never sleep, and since the only thing she can do is to pull lever when one become available... instant lever puller!).

Also, there is a stockpile of troglodytes in wooden cages next to a pile of ever burning wooden artifacts that seem to set fire on their environment once in a while when the cafe moss grows back.

Oh, and there is a friendly trader on the edge of the screen that is prone to turning into a were creature once in a while. It is likely to bite the one next to him very soon.

Not to mention there is a forgotten beast toad sitting in the water pond on the third cavern layer. Been sitting there for months now.
I like how at the very end of its description it says "It's skinny."
Talk about arson, murder, and jaywalking.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4