Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: War Jabberers ain't notin to **** with  (Read 8706 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War Jabberers ain't notin to **** with
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:52 pm »

So, I happened to capture a jabberer and turned it into a war jabberer.  I figured it could be a meat shield for my militia commander and maybe get a few pecks in.  Upon its first battle, it did this to the goblin:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's right - three pecks, and three lost limbs.  I need to catch more of these things.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Jabberers ain't notin to **** with
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:46 pm »

Is a jabberer supposed to be the titular Jabberwock from the poem Jabberwocky?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:31 am »

I don't believe so, as the Jabberer looks like a giant bird with no wings or feathers. I think it's name derives from it's attack habits: jabbing. Hencely: jabber-er.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:54 am »

I got one two, I'm waiting for a mate for it to start a breeding program.
Thanks for demonstrating its power for me, now I got all the more reason to find a mate for it.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:25 am »

:o I want one!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 02:26:16 am »

That's right - three pecks, and three lost limbs.  I need to catch more of these things.

They're only slightly smaller than elephants so there's a ton of force behind those beaks.

Remember that they're egg-layers; so if you do manage to get a breeding pair, be sure that their nesting boxes are either safely away from pillaging haulers or that any food stockpiles you have exclude jabberer eggs. The last thing you want are jabberer omelettes holding up your army of subterranean superchickens.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:46 am »

They're only slightly smaller than elephants so there's a ton of force behind those beaks.

Remember that they're egg-layers; so if you do manage to get a breeding pair, be sure that their nesting boxes are either safely away from pillaging haulers or that any food stockpiles you have exclude jabberer eggs. The last thing you want are jabberer omelettes holding up your army of subterranean superchickens.

And with a ×4 value for animal products, it would be profitable to use them for bonecrafts and leather.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:37:01 am »

I don't believe so, as the Jabberer looks like a giant bird with no wings or feathers. I think its name derives from its attack habits: jabbing. Hencely: jabber-er.

(deleted the eye-searing inappropriate apostrophes)

Wouldn't that be a Jabber? I thought it derives from 'to jabber' http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jabber , which in fact lists 'jabberer' as a related noun - presumably somebirdie who jabbers, which would put it rather close to the jabberwocky, a jabbering monstrosity.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:02:00 am »

i've trying to find a jabberer for a long time now. so far all i've found are rutherers and crundles
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:20:22 am »

i've trying to find a jabberer for a long time now. so far all i've found are rutherers and crundles
They are rare...like GCS, that too only 1 shows up. 10 years in my fort and i got one GCS, and one female jabberer, not to forget the dozens of crundles, rutherers and drathlas.(who are good source for slaughtering though)

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 06:57:27 am »

You best protect ya neck.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 07:10:49 am »

They are rare...like GCS, that too only 1 shows up. 10 years in my fort and i got one GCS, and one female jabberer, not to forget the dozens of crundles, rutherers and drathlas.(who are good source for slaughtering though)

At least you got a female.  Keep  her contained with a nest box handy, and wait for goblins to bring some along as warbeasts.  If they bring a male, you might get babies, no capture required.

Jabberers are scary.  They're like walking battle axes with a ridiculous amount of power behind them.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27:46 am »

Those things are terrifying. A long time ago I had a single jabberer tear through a squad of legendary (I still used danger rooms back then) candy clad warriors. It tore off limbs like their armor was made out of paper, it was ridiculous.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:09:26 am »

Keep  her contained with a nest box handy, and wait for goblins to bring some along as warbeasts.
Ooooh that I didn't think of. Better stop making those omlettes...
Those things are terrifying. A long time ago I had a single jabberer tear through a squad of legendary (I still used danger rooms back then) candy clad warriors. It tore off limbs like their armor was made out of paper, it was ridiculous.
This is only making me more excited...

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:08:49 am »

A wingless purple underground chicken that is larger than a hippo, gigantic tortoise, great white shark, or rhinoceros, but just smaller than an elephant or orca. They don't require grazing, similar to other poultry. Purple feathers, white skin, yellow eyes (by raws). As mentioned above, trainable for war.
Pages: [1] 2 3