Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201552 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1965 on: January 27, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »

That's the fault of the weapons. Even a gold helmet will stop a wolfram hammer.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 27, 2014, 08:18:41 pm »

I have my archer dwarves fully armored. in leather, chain, and plate.  However, They all have ranged weapons, but they will not train in the archery range. I have checked to see if they are set to train, and both of my squads are set to train there.  As far as i can tell, they do not train, at all.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 27, 2014, 09:04:14 pm »

I have my archer dwarves fully armored. in leather, chain, and plate.  However, They all have ranged weapons, but they will not train in the archery range. I have checked to see if they are set to train, and both of my squads are set to train there.  As far as i can tell, they do not train, at all.

More of a general question there. But I read somewhere (and can confirm) archery targets appear to need to be inside a designated barracks, while ranges outside a barracks will be used by civvies to train in their idle time.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »

To train archers I just put them to no jobs and no orders, but active.

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:50 am »

I have a question regarding the World Gen options:

The "Levels above x Cavern" options, they will basically make Caverns appear at deeper levels, correct? So if i set the first Cavern layer to say...15, i will have 15 layers of lovely clean stone to build with? Id like Caverns to be much deeper, as currently they are appearing at around layer 6-7, which doesnt give me much room to build with.

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 29, 2014, 01:29:24 am »

For what it's worth Daz, I've started playing around with that. Changing the first layer number from 5 to 7-9 ish and my first caverns in the worlds I played like that weren't for some 15-20 or more Z-levels.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1971 on: January 29, 2014, 01:57:43 am »

I have a question regarding the World Gen options:

The "Levels above x Cavern" options, they will basically make Caverns appear at deeper levels, correct? So if i set the first Cavern layer to say...15, i will have 15 layers of lovely clean stone to build with? Id like Caverns to be much deeper, as currently they are appearing at around layer 6-7, which doesnt give me much room to build with.
yes that's correct. if you hover your mouse over the input, it should give you a brief explanation.

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:14 am »

Huh, so it does. The tooltips state the max for each is 99. I cannot imagine the sheer depth that would generate, or the lag it could cause. But hey, lotsa materials.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: January 29, 2014, 07:13:51 am »

It causes no FPS lag at all – until the areas are mined, which opens up more tiles for the pathfinding algorithm.  The priority designations are somewhat buggy and pets and vermin-hunters, in particular, will be counting every open tile and that does cause lag.  In community forts, I often wall off the stairs around unused levels.  Small area embarks are best for FPS because the surface is already “opened.”     
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:17 am »

In my current fort I do not get caravans.

How do I produce the "(library supplies) tool" necessary for the magic research? I managed to get platinum through alchemic transmutations, but I am still missing that last piece.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: January 29, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

Anything to write on will do

Even though it is not 100% accurate, often you can check here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Researcher's_study

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:29 pm »

In my current fort I do not get caravans.

How do I produce the "(library supplies) tool" necessary for the magic research? I managed to get platinum through alchemic transmutations, but I am still missing that last piece.

With this release, paper is insanely easy to get from a tanner's shop

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 29, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »

if i find a slab in adventurer mode like a pyro slab, do any of these come with no food/sleep/whatever like necromancers?  can stats still be raised?

id like to know because I really don't want to lock my stats this early on, but the slab is WAY too heavy to carry
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:04:44 pm by Verviticus »

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:40 am »

What are the creatures that you use?

Between the creatures you can get from Dwarves, Elves and Drows, there's so much stuff I don't know that I always end up defaulting to the standard drakes/tuskoxes/moleweasels.

I need to try something more interesting. Like, what's a cool creature for defense? For farming particular materials? What little known tricks do you use?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: January 31, 2014, 11:10:46 am »

What are the creatures that you use?

Between the creatures you can get from Dwarves, Elves and Drows, there's so much stuff I don't know that I always end up defaulting to the standard drakes/tuskoxes/moleweasels.

I need to try something more interesting. Like, what's a cool creature for defense? For farming particular materials? What little known tricks do you use?

You can use cragtooth boars for battle and as a renewable source of ivory by periodic shearing if memory serves and leatherwings can perform the duties of moleweasels while being shearable for leather, buy animate weaponry to follow your troops into battle (and they're far more effective than any other critter show of those with a strong bite,) scare crows to keep raven flocks and coatis away and a few wards for obvious reasons, but those should be used in places they won't get punched by harassing monkeys or what have you, as they seem to like snapping off the sigils.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 165