Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201530 times)

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1980 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:23 am »

What about the giant cool creatures that elves and drows keep giving me? Spirit Ravens? Black Barghest? Those sound cool, but not sure what exactly should I use them for. At least with spiders it's intuitive.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: January 31, 2014, 11:36:21 am »

Fighting animals mostly.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: January 31, 2014, 11:59:24 am »

I have my archer dwarves fully armored. in leather, chain, and plate.  However, They all have ranged weapons, but they will not train in the archery range. I have checked to see if they are set to train, and both of my squads are set to train there.  As far as i can tell, they do not train, at all.

More of a general question there. But I read somewhere (and can confirm) archery targets appear to need to be inside a designated barracks, while ranges outside a barracks will be used by civvies to train in their idle time.

Silver Dragon did a great military tutorial:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132412.msg4733576#msg4733576

I've never read about archery targets needing to be in designated barracks, but I would not be surprised. I'll give that a try sometime.

Dogfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: February 02, 2014, 06:21:22 am »

ok stupid question of the month here......Have been away a bit from MWDF but having just loaded up the latest version I cannot get the Masterwork settings to change any of the worlds I generate?!?!  So when I go into advanced parameters they are just standard and seem to ignore the settings I select before running the game!?!?  what am I missing here please???

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1984 on: February 02, 2014, 06:29:22 am »

Excuse me, but what exactly are you trying to do? I didnt quite catch your meaning.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dogfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: February 02, 2014, 06:34:37 am »

Sorry, well what I mean is that if for example on the Masterwork Settings GUI, if I select 8000 starting points, or deselect harder mining, when I run the game and go into advanced parameters all the changes I made using the Masterwork setting have not carried over into the game? So the start points have been reset to standard and the number of Z levels before the first cavern, etc. I also stumbled across warpstone when harder mining was turned off.

So its as if what ever settings I select on the Masterwork Settings Screen, are not carried over to when I click on Play?!?!?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:46 am »

I was wondering about the warpstone myself.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1987 on: February 02, 2014, 06:45:41 am »

As long as you change the settings for the same templates that you pick in the world generator (for example set embark points for "Scorching Shiv" and then try that world), you shouldnt have any problems. There were no changes on the GUI worldgen editor.

You can also do that directly in the worldgen editor, by pressing 'e'. You get to the menu where you can change the values.

Warpstone is still there with harder mining, but its harmless in that case.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dogfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:20 am »

Just to confirm, that I tried a new world and embark points for example still doesn't carry over from the Settings screen.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1989 on: February 02, 2014, 10:28:51 am »

Just to make sure.

You close DF. You open the Settings. You change the embark points in ONE template. You re-open DF. You use the advanced worldgen. You use the exact same template as the one you altered. You gen a new world, then embark?

(if it really doesnt work, go to the dfhack window when you are on the embark map and type "points X", with X being the amount you want. can be whatever you like, even more than 10000. "dwarves X" gives you that many dwarves. You can embark with 100 dwarves and 1 million points if you like^^)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1990 on: February 02, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »

Just to confirm, that I tried a new world and embark points for example still doesn't carry over from the Settings screen.
after you change the setting, tab/click on another text field/tab/combobox/anything, that should save it. if you change a numeric setting and then immediately click 'play' it may not register the saved changes. again this only applies to the text inputs and i'll make sure it's fixed up in the next version of the GUI.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07:39 am »

Is there a good way to get town portal'd residents to become significant so I can put them in the military? Ordered a marksdwarf and got an ashkin, levelled him up and got a staff and aura for him but would like to put my extra armor suit to use and fling fiery death over my walls.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: February 03, 2014, 02:41:14 am »

Is there a good way to get town portal'd residents to become significant so I can put them in the military? Ordered a marksdwarf and got an ashkin, levelled him up and got a staff and aura for him but would like to put my extra armor suit to use and fling fiery death over my walls.

can you make them a noble?  if so, I guess you could make him a hammerer and have a guy commit a crime until he kills them?  just spitballing here

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 03, 2014, 02:47:41 am »

Nope. They don't appear on the list of noble-able dwarves yet.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »

after you change the setting, tab/click on another text field/tab/combobox/anything, that should save it. if you change a numeric setting and then immediately click 'play' it may not register the saved changes. again this only applies to the text inputs and i'll make sure it's fixed up in the next version of the GUI.
While I've rarely used this feature, I think it would be more appropriate and intuitive to have an 'Apply' button that is used to actually save the changes.  I didn't like that it would immediately save the changes upon moving to a different field.

Added bonus points if you leave the original template intact and then create a new template name 'xxxxx custom' and only allow one custom for each 'xxxxx'. (or have the user assign a name to it)
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 165