Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201266 times)

bourgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1440 on: December 02, 2013, 05:05:07 pm »

In my reports section, I keep getting the message "The Dyer Painter is blushed and has bloodshot eyes!"  What does this mean?

Also, it seems that making crafts from bones is disabled under Masterwork.  What is the best thing to make bones into in order to make a good profit from caravans?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:12:52 pm by bourgeo »
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 02, 2013, 05:09:20 pm »

Apologies in advance if this has been covered.  I am trying to get metalworking going, and from what i can tell i need to research all of the forges and furnaces (for metal) beyond the smelter, yes?  There no longer seems to be any of the normal forges or furnaces.  I've gone through the manual and this seems like an intentional change to slow down efficient metalworking, but i want to make sure i am not just being daft.

Vanilla smelters are in the (e) menu. Vanilla forges are in the (w) menu

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 02, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »

In my reports section, I keep getting the message "The Dyer Painter is blushed and has bloodshot eyes!"

What does this mean?

Sick dwarf. Quarantine them. Make some medicine at the apothecary.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »

Apologies in advance if this has been covered.  I am trying to get metalworking going, and from what i can tell i need to research all of the forges and furnaces (for metal) beyond the smelter, yes?  There no longer seems to be any of the normal forges or furnaces.  I've gone through the manual and this seems like an intentional change to slow down efficient metalworking, but i want to make sure i am not just being daft.
Yes, everything beyond the vanilla metalworking shops requires research.

Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:31 pm »

Anyone noticed "Mud" popping up at the Trade Depot when caravans come?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 02, 2013, 07:15:36 pm »

How the hell do I smelt limonite?

FallenJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »

Whats going on with living rock?

Having recently run into a situation where my fort needed an emergency food supply fast, I dug down to living rock in an effort to avoid starvation.
The guide implies it should drop as boulders which can be butchered for meat (In the kitchen according to the guide, in the slaughterhouse from what I can tell from the raws), but nothing is left behind after mining except blood.

Then I came across this quote by Meph in a search.  "Impossible. (except Rubble/Ruined Brick/Living Stone, which has a 0% drop chance)"

This seems to be supported by the raws, where the fixed temperature is higher than the melting temperature to reduce it to blood.

So help me forum gurus, is there any way for me to get food out of this rock?   Or is it as it seems, fixed to never be able to exist in a solid state?

For those curious about why this for needs it, I started out in a tundra and a icy cloud somehow destroyed my wagon and everything in it (all but my food, which I already stockpiled)  This included all my bags, with my only renewable food source being cave wheat >.>

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:28:06 pm by FallenJoe »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 03, 2013, 05:48:00 am »

Don't know for sure about the living stone meat, but maybe dig to a cavern and collect lots of plants, and try setting up a few cheap weapon traps in choke points to kill wandering cavern critters. Or fish from a cavern lake if you find one with water.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 03, 2013, 09:10:27 am »

Mud - yes, mud now collects a lot in the TD.  I think it eventually gets cleaned up if/when your beards clean (but last time I paid attention to it I had a tavern and played a Brisk Cleaning Tune, so cannot say for sure).  I think there's a dfhack clean command if it really bugs you.

Living rock has not dropped meat boulders for many versions now - all you get is pools of blood, and my understanding is you cannot do anything with that (except possibly spatter it about).  Cave fungus for cheese is the only food from rocks, and that's too rare.  If you lose your farms or don't grow enough you're toast.

Which is too bad, I rather enjoyed the concept of Dwarves being able to eat meat rocks :)  Meph, if you put them back, make them rot - it'll be more interesting :)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 03, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »

One time I was able to get living stone boulders on a super-freezing embark, (That embark actually killed a few traders from the weather alone.) so I guess the trick is to mine them in a cold area, and build a slaughterhouse nearby to lessen the risk of melting. Does the frost from Ice-magic lower the temperature? If so, it might be possible to use some system involving captured Ice-warlocks and stray bunnies to cool down an area before you mine. Or maybe involve equipment with a fixed temperature like nethercap?

Hmmm... I'mma need to do some Science after finals...

Didn't realize they were taken out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:39:12 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 03, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »

its high blood pressure (cant be spread),quarantine them when you see a report with 'looks pale and has bloodshot eyes'
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 03, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »

How do boulder crabs reproduce? I've noticed they lay rock boulders now, instead of eggs, but will the boulders eventually hatch into more crabs or is there something else I'm missing?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 03, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »

its high blood pressure (cant be spread),quarantine them when you see a report with 'looks pale and has bloodshot eyes'

Oopsie. I thought they were diseased and have been sacrificing them at the altar.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 03, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »

How do boulder crabs reproduce? I've noticed they lay rock boulders now, instead of eggs, but will the boulders eventually hatch into more crabs or is there something else I'm missing?

According to the raws, they should be laying normal eggs as well as eggs made of stone. Either marble, limestone, or dolomite. The boulders won't hatch, they are just an alternative source of flux.

I'm not sure how unusual eggs work with regular eggs, but I know that they will not lay more than one type of egg at the same time. It may just be luck that you aren't getting normal eggs, unless the unusual egg tag interferes with regular eggs.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 04, 2013, 01:12:56 am »

Does upping the invader skills via gui set a static number, or increase the value of current skills?  I'm not sure how that works for invaders.  Because I do know some invaders show up as lords without using this feature, will this just replace those would be lords with the level I set it to in the gui?  Or is it additive?
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 165