Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201714 times)

migshark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2013, 05:18:09 pm »

There is a possible explanation for this:

You disabled slagpit. This disables slag and the slagpit building.
You then changed the tileset. This adds the fitting raws for the right tiles, including the inorganics bearing slag. Since the tilesets use the default setting, slag is on.
You now have a set of raws with no slagpit building, but some inorganics bearing slag.

Double click on the slagpit button to turn it off... you know, reset, ON/OFF, to fix it. But that wont help an already generated world all that much...

I think I have to come up with a better system for this.

Ah, I'd never have guessed that the tileset would influence it, thanks for the explanation. I've already gotten rolling on my next fort so a fix isn't necessary, it's just nice to be able to mourn the last one properly.

DeathPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:23 pm »

oh thanks thats exactly what I did building it into a 3x3 alcove >.<

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2013, 12:52:28 am »

oh thanks thats exactly what I did building it into a 3x3 alcove >.<

Don't worry, these things happen. :D

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2013, 11:20:00 am »

Stupid question:
In the manual it says that dwarves who embark with the ambusher skill as their highest skill will have free gear on embark. Changelog says ambusher's been mapped to Hunter. But even if hunter is the max skill, my dwarves aren't coming with free equipment. Migrant wave hunters also aren't coming with free equipment. What gives? I want my free stuff :P

stupid question number 2:
Slade turret. Checked it out, requires slade. How the hell does one get slade (other then that bug)?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2013, 12:40:27 pm »

I think that Toady changed the free stuff for hunters along the way somewhere, it no longer happens. 

Slade:   just melt it from blocks at the crucible.  Or in MDF, you can dwarf up and go quarry it.  (obviously the former is much easier).  Not sure what bug you mean.
« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2013, 02:15:16 pm »

Quick question about garrison mechanics. I stationed a soldier on the garrison hall and ran the reaction to make them legion. A miller took charge and ran all the coins to the garrison, but when the reaction ran, the miller became a soldier and the soldier I stationed on the garrison hall did not. What am I doing wrong?

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »

I think that Toady changed the free stuff for hunters along the way somewhere, it no longer happens. 

Slade:   just melt it from blocks at the crucible.  Or in MDF, you can dwarf up and go quarry it.  (obviously the former is much easier).  Not sure what bug you mean.

Erm, how would one get slade blocks. Slade is impossible to mine (not to mention stupid heavy)

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2013, 02:38:38 pm »

I seem to have a problem with the Military Garrison. I have minted lots of gold coins, but for some reason, the option to train dwarves are red in the menu. Is there some where I should store the coins? Or do I have to restack them, as they currently sit as stacks of 500 at my blacksmith.
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2013, 02:45:58 pm »

Erm, how would one get slade blocks. Slade is impossible to mine (not to mention stupid heavy)

You can melt blocks (of most any rock, not slade blocks) into slade at the Cruicible.

I seem to have a problem with the Military Garrison. I have minted lots of gold coins, but for some reason, the option to train dwarves are red in the menu. Is there some where I should store the coins? Or do I have to restack them, as they currently sit as stacks of 500 at my blacksmith.

Sounds like the burrows bug. Make sure the garrison and the coins are in the same burrow.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »

(clip) but when the reaction ran, the miller became a soldier and the soldier I stationed on the garrison hall did not. What am I doing wrong?

Stationing a dorf isn’t sufficient; you have to Workshop Profile to Permit the one you want (and forbid all the others).  Do that right after you assign the task and he’ll be the one to carry the coins.  Pretty gold flash. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2013, 03:31:57 pm »

(clip) but when the reaction ran, the miller became a soldier and the soldier I stationed on the garrison hall did not. What am I doing wrong?

Stationing a dorf isn’t sufficient; you have to Workshop Profile to Permit the one you want (and forbid all the others).  Do that right after you assign the task and he’ll be the one to carry the coins.  Pretty gold flash.

So that means he can't be already be military when running the reaction, right? He needs to be a civilian? And does imbuing, at the Researchers, work the same way?

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2013, 03:35:46 pm »

That makes me sad, that tip then should probably be removed from the manual then.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2013, 03:49:04 pm »

My first 7 dwarves are vomiting on everything all over as soon as I embarked. When I made one of them chief medical it tells me that they arent suffering from anything (?) yet I see the green cross over thier icons. I have not embarked on an evil biome and the good biome Im on has only had normal rain. Maybe its related to me having cave beetles?

At any rate I gave my dwarves much higher physical attributes so I can actually do something.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »

And does imbuing, at the Researchers, work the same way?

Pretty much any time you want to limit a reaction to a specific dwarf, setting the Profile at that workshop to that dwarf is the method to use.  Other handy uses are having a specific dwarf pull a lever (nice for getting rid of annoying nobles or tricking a dwarf to a very specific area to get locked in), making sure forges are used only by your best smiths (check out the min/max skill required settings too), and keeping certain dwarves OUT of a workshop because several MWDF reactions are dangerous.  For instance, I have 30+ dwarves with Masonry enabled to get constructions up fast, but I don't want them churning out crap from my Mason's shop, so I use Profile to limit the shop to my very best masons only.

So that means he can't be already be military when running the reaction, right? He needs to be a civilian?

He can be in a squad, but it needs to be inactive so he'll do civilian-ish jobs (such as that one).  The way I handle upgrading my military in MWDF is I create a permanent "On Leave" squad* that is set to Inactive in the Alerts screen.  I then swap the dwarf I want to upgrade out of the active squad he is in, and into the inactive squad, then upgrade him.  Once he passes Barracks training I swap him back into the Active squad.  It makes it easy to keep track of him in a large population and his buddies in the Active squad don't disrupt their training.

* also handy for temporarily sidelining female soldiers with babies, until the babies are grown; or badly injured soldiers that are recovering.  The temporary squad makes it easy to keep track of sidelined soldiers and is useful as an emergency squad to deploy as well
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »

You can melt blocks (of most any rock, not slade blocks) into slade at the Cruicible.

Thanks, yes that's what I meant, melt any block. 
Also, you really can mine slade in MDF, or at least you could as of MDF 2f.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 165