Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201622 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2013, 02:33:14 am »

Seems like everything has been answered already. :)

Except the sick dwarves, it was probably a plague that a starting member carried. Try the Therapist CASTE_ID and CASTE_NAME sorting, you might 6 dwarves and 1 "sick dwarf". It should subside after a few months, except for the sick dwarf, he will keep it... I havent quite figured out the better disease system I want to do, but it is in the works. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2013, 04:59:27 am »

Except the sick dwarves, it was probably a plague that a starting member carried. Try the Therapist CASTE_ID and CASTE_NAME sorting, you might 6 dwarves and 1 "sick dwarf".

Well, when I sorted them today there was 6 dwarves and 1 with a sick tag, so yeah. Its rough when your first dwarves start out with it and keep it throughout the game though. Guess I will have to find someone else to be trader...

Atleast vomiting is non-lethal.

Have to use clean all A LOT though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:01:10 am by Findulidas »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2013, 08:20:21 am »

I'm still trying to transition from vanilla DF to Masterwork, and I have a few questions regarding stats.

After sorting out my Legionnaire training issue, I began to notice that every dwarf that becomes a Legionnaire suddenly is reported as being weaker in his profile; certain stats also appear twice in the profile.

Are they reported weaker due to the Legionnaire caste having a higher maximum strength? (As in, they retain their actual strength, but are weaker in comparison to the maximum value) Or is there some bug with the training?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2013, 12:01:56 pm »

Are they reported weaker due to the Legionnaire caste having a higher maximum strength? (As in, they retain their actual strength, but are weaker in comparison to the maximum value) Or is there some bug with the training?

The "in relation to maximum" thing seems likely.  I checked my military dwarves with DT, not with the in-game screen, and all of them appeared to increase their attributes as a result of the military training.  Though, I thought dwarves always stayed in the same "tier" of strength when they transformed, so something still doesn't make sense here.

Had these dwarves already gotten a significant amount of attribute training?  Maybe the base attributes stay at the same tier, and the trained extra attributed aren't scaled.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

nug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:34 pm »

Do (legendary) mages say, "You shall not pass"? If so I will get one immediately :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:35:51 pm by nug »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2013, 02:06:20 am »

I can make mages say that, yes. :P

And correct, legionnaires have a higher max strength, so it is in relation to their values. You can see the exact amount in the therapist if you want to. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2013, 08:03:12 am »

Tiny bit of context, then the question.

So, during my first year, before even the first caravan, I caught a Deep Drow werewolf in the one of three cage traps I had setup due to a swarm of monkies circling my barely walled fortress. Thinking I would drop him on a Megabeast or invasion later down the road.

Fast forward 6 years when I finally have a decent invasion entrance that also works as a firing range for my Marksdwarf's to train on any critters I catch. I of course mistakenly pit the werewolf along with a few goblins and an ashland elf thief. So, strangled elf, pincushion goblins, barely hurt werewolf who turns back into a Deep Drow and becomes "Friendly". Praying they could kill him quickly I send in 3 of my Leg fighters (in the small amount of iron armor/weap I have thrown together) to put him down before he changes again.

Two Leg Fighters thrown against the wall (thankfully not injured beyond their pride), and an archer that loses a foot because I totally forgot to lock them out, werewolf passes out and is finally dead. I start working on a place to separate the archer while he is patched up, station him at the range with a few other because of some annoying Gnolls in the meantime.

He of course transforms. But doesn't attack, isn't attacked, and is just sitting there stationed with the rest of the dwarves. Anyone have that happen before? And do I have any hope of him not trying to the next thing he sees the minute I unstation the squad?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2013, 11:32:05 am »

Nope, never seen that.  I've had warriors turn to a werescorpion and in fact become hostile as you would expect. 

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2013, 03:37:01 pm »

He turned a few times without any real issue, besides dropping all of his gear and becoming basically useless as a Marksdwarf.

But just to be safe I sent him to attack an Orc Seige by himself. He proceeded to knock out one Orc with bolts (bone because I haven't set up much of a forge yet) and then beat him to death with his crossbow while the rest of them stood 5 tiles away just watching. Then decided to charge the remaining 10 or so and actually injured a few rather significantly before passing out from exhaustion. The few that were still just watching then attempted to kill him, only for him to transform disembowel the nearest Orc who then also transformed and proceeded to rip his arm off before he was shot down. The turned Orc then went after his friends, turning two others before the last 2 or 3 Orcs and 1 that had turned retreated off the edge of the map. Figured it wasn't that bad of a turn out for the loss of one Marksdwarf that was really just a risk at that point.

I might need to backup this fort and abandon to check the Legends, because so far it appears I might be at war with a significant number of civs. Or at the very least they really dislike the Dwarven civ I am a part of. I seem to get a large number of invasions by a wide variety of enemies. Including a Siege by Gnomes, and a very odd series of about 15 ambushes spotted as they appeared on the maps edge by Ashland Elves, Dragon Raptors, and Wild Tigers of some sort who all came in at two different places and murdered each other before even moving a few steps. Not really sure what it was all about.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:56 am »

Siege by Gnomes? That shouldnt be possible, they have exactly the same ethics as dwarves. The rest sounds hilarious though. :)

Are you using the expedition system a lot?

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:34 am »

Why is it that all the living stone I mine just melts right into blood. I was only able to figure out that they weren't mining blood by one-stepping to see what was going on. Is it my settings? Is it a bug? Should I have temperature off?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2013, 01:54:54 am »

Should I have temperature off?

OH NO DON'T DO THAT

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:51 am »

Why is it that all the living stone I mine just melts right into blood. I was only able to figure out that they weren't mining blood by one-stepping to see what was going on. Is it my settings? Is it a bug? Should I have temperature off?
Checked the raws for living stone
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
melting point is lower than the fixed temp, and I've got the feeling like living stone interacts with the settings.exe thingy
I just started playing this, what do?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:36 am »

Thats because you have 3 types of living stone.

The big areas of living stone, they leave only a pool of blood.

Inside these areas, you have 2 sub-groups, you can not distinguish them ingame. One will leave boulders that can be butchered. The other transforms into a hostile creature and attacks. The hostile one is disabled if you play without "harder mining".

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:56 am »

THANK YOU!
There is nowhere else that says this. It a spoiler?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 165