Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201565 times)

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2013, 01:13:06 pm »

You can ask Armok for help. But accident is alright as well. If you want the fun to be spoiled, then you can read below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tiniuclx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »

Thanks for the quick response, I've never actually messed with any of the altars/temples. I think I'll try that now, lots of fun seem to be had from those buildings :D .

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The pentagrams are unrelated to the carp god.

By the way, if you cure them, I suggest keeping an Earthbound (from the Fountain of Youth) around to prevent relapses.  Sometimes the power of Armok is incomplete.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

tiniuclx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2013, 02:11:01 pm »

Thanks for the tip, but if I do anything about it, I'll probably just sacrifice the devil child, curing him seems kind of hard. Either that, or try out dwarven childcare for the first time.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »

Forgive me for not remembering what everyone said over diffrent threads, but is it only me or is farming really overdone?

I totally get the idea behind trees taking some time to grow. but whats up with normal plants?
In my recent game, I nearly starved when i find out that it takes close to a year to grow a simple row of 5 plump helmets. Seriously ,thats too much. I can get behind harder farming, as it is way too easy in vanilla, but if I have to have gianormous fields that can't sustain me anyway, there is a problem.
This is made worse by the fact that it generates more seed cancellation spam and the normal low amount of seeds you normally get on embark is now absolutely insufficient.

As I seem not to recall anyone poiting this one out, and not being mentioned in manual, I decided to ask.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:20:48 pm by Z1000000m »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:29 am »

Harder Farming had quite a bit of discussion in the old thread.

When you start out a fresh embark, get your dedicated farmer to plant some berries above ground.  You should be able to get quite a few in the dirt and they will mature in 1 season.  Do it again for the summer rotation. After that, you should have plenty of plants to get things going.  Encourage your dwarves to eat the fresh crop to generate the seeds by forbidding your other food stocks.  Just pay attention to when they all seem to be hungry.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:30 am »

Harder Farming had quite a bit of discussion in the old thread.

When you start out a fresh embark, get your dedicated farmer to plant some berries above ground.  You should be able to get quite a few in the dirt and they will mature in 1 season.  Do it again for the summer rotation. After that, you should have plenty of plants to get things going.  Encourage your dwarves to eat the fresh crop to generate the seeds by forbidding your other food stocks.  Just pay attention to when they all seem to be hungry.

Brewing will also produce seeds; that might be faster.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2013, 01:56:42 am »

Yes, it's been discussed quite a bit.  The original implementation of Harder farming was more unforgiving, because you had to race to get it [above ground seeds] planted before the end of spring.  Now, it's not so bad.  Just plan on gathering/hunting/fishing/trading/praying for a bit of extra food for the first couple years.  Once the fort is established, harder farming doesn't take more dorf-labor or seeds, just more space.  If you bother to micromanage you can stagger the planting seasons in plots so that harvests are seasonal rather than annual, although, I prefer to smooth out the annual harvest cycle by still using some other food sources.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:26:24 am by smakemupagus »

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2013, 02:58:23 am »

And if you don't like harder farming, you can turn it off using GUI. I think, it is quite fine as it is.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:42 am »

So for some reason my dwarves wont open the wonderful boxes of clothing and special herbs that I got from the latest caravan. I know the Storehouse was working fine in my last fort, so I'm not sure if I somehow broke something with my mind between embarks, but yeah. They are just ignoring the boxes outright. Anyone have any idea what the issue might be, or what I could have done to cause such a thing?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2013, 12:13:00 pm »

burrows bug?

putting aside possible chance of user error (broken stockpile links, etc.); there is an occasional pathfinding bug in all custom reactions including those in vanilla DF. It is  usually (not always) triggered when the stockpile and workshop are in separate burrows, even if the burrows are inactive.  You can rearrange burrows, or have the manager run the reaction.  After 1 time the manager does it the workshop often becomes normally active again.

Having the Manager attempt the reaction is usually a good thing to try, because if it is not the pathfinding bug, you'll often get a helpful error message.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:27 pm »

I really only use burrows to zip around the fort faster, or to wrangle some squirrely children/Alerts. I had forgotten about the occasional need to use the manager to re-activate things from time to time though, so I will have to try that when I get back to it.

I just got a 20ish dwarf migration, out of which 10 or so were from the last fort I had and abandoned so I'll fiddle with it after dealing with them. It's nice to get familiar dwarves again, especially the Legendary or close to it ones, but I think I might be lacking basically everything I need for the number I got. And two of them have no relationships besides two different Deities and each other as "long-term". So I think I can probably handle waiting a tad before I start drugging my dwarves into never sleeping again...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2013, 04:08:41 pm »

It tells you exactly what you need for all adventure mode reactions when you highlight them.
« Reply #223 on: June 13, 2013, 03:47:58 pm »

I have a question about using Hellfire turrets. They seem to be pretty similar to dragonfire, which is awesome, but I know that my dragons destroy even magma-safe bridges. I'm trying to figure out a clever way to deploy my hellfire turrets. Here is my plan before I realized that it may not work..

(I ultimately want this setup to look like this from the last Matrix movie lol): 

I had intended to deploy the hellfire turrets in those small boxes so that they had a narrow range of fire and only hit the enemies passing down the middle in front of them. Unfortunately, while going to set this idea up, I realized that when the bridge dropped and the turret obtained line-of-sight and started firing, it would probably immediately destroy the obsidian/basalt bridge. This could be a problem in a prolonged siege if I can't close the bridge to again hide the turret, thereby shutting it down and rendering the area safe to charge with my melee squads.

Any tips for a way to make this work, so that I can hide the turret as necessary? They were basically going to be my "OH SHIT" last resort, but I'm now reconsidering using them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:54:23 pm by Victorian Era Rocketry »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 13, 2013, 05:06:39 pm »

Ever see the movie Ronin?  Robert De Niro, it’s a good movie.  Anyway, it’s generally not a good idea to have projectile weapons facing each other directly (regardless of range and intention, unexpected things happen).  Turrets are just a modern upgrade to machine guns; in the WWI trenches, there were MG emplacements at each end of the trench.  That gave overlapping fire across the greatest area without inviting accidents.  As to hiding your turrets: check out the main Wiki pages on Siege Engines and Defense Strategy  Security Design.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:18:13 pm by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 165