Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201576 times)

Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:51 pm »

Ever see the movie Ronin?  Robert De Niro, it’s a good movie.  Anyway, it’s generally not a good idea to have projectile weapons facing each other directly (regardless of range and intention, unexpected things happen).  Turrets are just a modern upgrade to machine guns; in the WWI trenches, there were MG emplacements at each end of the trench.  That gave overlapping fire across the greatest area without inviting accidents.  As to hiding your turrets: check out the main Wiki pages on Siege Engines and Defense Strategy  Security Design.   

lol that scene where he is schooling Sean Bean, I remember that. Good point. Since I posted I played with the turret in the arena and realized it had a huge range, so I will be adjusting the defense to place them side by side on the same side. But still, I'm not sure what to do about safely deploying and then shutting it down - without them destroying the devices which hide them.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2013, 07:38:49 pm »

That scene, and the useful information within has stuck with me my entire life. I mean sure, it's the most basic obvious thing ever, but still, you gotta be ready for the zombies.

But yeah, Hellfire can be tricky. I haven't really messed with them, but maybe try floodgates? I'm not sure if they would be destroyed even after being raised though. You would have to be careful about when you closed them again (if they survive), but not much lasts very long when it comes to Hellfire turrets.
« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2013, 08:59:42 pm »

That scene, and the useful information within has stuck with me my entire life. I mean sure, it's the most basic obvious thing ever, but still, you gotta be ready for the zombies.

But yeah, Hellfire can be tricky. I haven't really messed with them, but maybe try floodgates? I'm not sure if they would be destroyed even after being raised though. You would have to be careful about when you closed them again (if they survive), but not much lasts very long when it comes to Hellfire turrets.

I was rushing to get them installed because it had been a while since the last siege, and just as I was about ready to go, I was attacked by warlocks, who animated a group of dead orcs who I hadn't yet cleaned up on the surface. The undead orcs immediately turned on the warlocks, attacked and routed them, and then just stood there on the surface (in what happened to be a Good environment), making them easy pickings.. I'll get to test those turrets a bit later.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2013, 09:35:59 pm »

1. I had a good and evil biome with zombies, confident that the zombies would die in the good biome as the manual said they would...that didn't happen....YOU LIED TO ME! :P

2. WHAT THE FUCK ARE METALWRAITHS? I WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE SOME BEDROOMS AND TWO MINI COLLOSSI BROKE MY FORT WTF MAN? But seriously, those things need some way to keep them from popping up before I have bedrooms....so unfair :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »

Harder Mining will add coal dust that can cause lungs to rot when mining lignite or bituminous coal, as well as warpstone. Warpstone can make miners sleepy/dizzy, and in very rare cases, kill. You also need to mine warpstone for special weapons build with it. It will also add 3 spawnable creatures into the rock. Wraiths, Soggoths and Balrogs. Your miner might uncover them while digging and be attacked. You will get a notification, the game will pause and you have a few seconds before the creature actually spawns.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »

What about nether-cap bridges for blocking the hellfire turrets?  You can find nether-cap as plants in the second cavern, or trees in the third.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2013, 01:31:55 am »

What about nether-cap bridges for blocking the hellfire turrets?  You can find nether-cap as plants in the second cavern, or trees in the third.

I used the simple trees setting (default), so I'm not sure you can get nether-cap.. won't it just all be Fungi?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:59 am »

I used the simple trees setting (default), so I'm not sure you can get nether-cap.. won't it just all be Fungi?

Nope, nether-cap is still available with simple trees.  There's also hellwood, steeloak, ironwood and crystal trees, in case you haven't seen those yet.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2013, 05:09:08 am »

Yeah, you will still have netherwood. You will either need to hit the third cavern layer or buy a box from the elves. Once you have a few logs you can cut them up at the Timberyard and get some spores if you want to start growing more yourself.

Might be worth testing to see if anything built from it would survive.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2013, 05:13:33 am »

It should, since it has a fixed temperatiure. Normally magma safe things have a high melting point, but the hellfire is hotter. But nethercaps/netherbark leather is always cold, no matter what.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2013, 09:05:49 am »

Magma workshops don't consume magma - they just need access to it.

Are you sure?
In the main DFWiki page Strange Mood it says, 
"Should the claimed workshop be a magma forge and lose power due to insufficient magma beneath it, the mood will fail immediately and the dwarf will go insane. Should the forge be in danger of losing power [emphasis mine], you should forbid it before it is claimed and wait until it is powered up reliably. Once magma forges are built, at least some dwarves will no longer be satisfied with a regular forge."    http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strange_mood

Granted, I’ve never seen a magma forge “go limp” but my oldest MW fortress isn’t really all that old yet.  A foolish dwarf could mine into the cistern and drain it just before a mood strikes, I suppose, but has that actually ever happened to someone so that it merits mentioning on the Wiki page?  How else could a magma forge lose power?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2013, 09:13:11 am »

The wiki page is correct. If the magma flows away and the tile is <4 depth, the workshop becomes unpowered. That doesnt mean that the workshop uses up the magma, it only means that the magma can be drained or flow away.

PS: I just played a game of chess, I think I have to start thinking about a PM to you. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:21 am »

Someone tripping nearby with a full bucket of water? Some !FUN! finding the floodgates that maintain the magma under your forge (not sure why anyone would really do such a thing, but it could happen). Basically any combination of player, dwarf, or otherwise created issue that results in the draining, pumping, casting, or removing of said magma from beneath said forge.

Just because the forge can lose power if the magma is no longer there doesn't mean the magma will be lost through some mystical unknown method resulting from normal use. That warning is probably more of a don't let a mooded dwarf use a magma forge if you are in the process of filling your magma tunnels and it might lose power.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2013, 09:34:15 am »

I don't think a bucket of water can obsidianize magma... I'm pretty sure I found a bucket brigade a failure when it came to doing that!

A bad magma conduit for instance might be directly connected to a trap, and lose power when you dump half of it giving a goblin siege a magma shower - a rookie mistake, but some of us have been there!   :o  Also, if you've ever used a magma piston you're working with a very limited, non-replenishable amount of magma, so its not uncommon to have to worry about less than 7/7 tiles.

It's generally not a concern when you're using a magma pipe, as you have a constant source of pressurized magma and keeping everything topped off is a cinch.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Vodos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2013, 11:27:47 am »

How do I make the runeforge improve a specific weapon?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 165