Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201608 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:13 pm »

It's possible that Frostskalds are immune, because of their
      [HOMEOTHERM:10000]
      [FIXED_TEMP:10000]

There's also FIREIMMUNE_SUPER (which 'skalds do not have)

FIREIMMUNE       The creature is immune to FIREBREATH, steam, and being set on fire by magma.
FIREIMMUNE_SUPER       The creature is immune to DRAGONFIREBREATH. Implies FIREIMMUNE.

But I don't know that either of those properties are valid to be CE_ADD_TAG'd (i.e. added by a syndrome, as in itemsyndrome)

Spoiler: can be CE ADD TAG'd (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:04:33 pm by smakemupagus »

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:50 am »

Could somebody please explain to me how to use liquid spawner?

I filled magma bottles in a magma crucible, built a liquid spawner on top of a support, chose 'Spawn magma', linked the support to a lever and destroyed it with a liquid spawner. But the magma magma spread out and there was only level 1 everywhere, while I thought it would be an infinite spawner. Can I use it only to fill a small space with magma? Then it will be quite inconvenient to make multiple workshops using this trick. Or is there any way to use it more efficiently than I'm doing?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:42:34 am by FengYun »

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2013, 11:21:31 am »

I dig a hole where I put my magma spawner and then collapse the floor on top of that so that it stays in a 7/7 group. I then build a crucible on top of it and use the "fill magma tanker" reaction to seed the areas where i need it for my workshops using tracks and routes and constructed trackstops. Kind of a pain in the dwarf but i havent figured out a better way. In my current fort the magma sea is 120z levels underground and I didnt want to wait that long for a pump stack.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:40 am »

Could somebody please explain to me how to use liquid spawner?

I filled magma bottles in a magma crucible, built a liquid spawner on top of a support, chose 'Spawn magma', linked the support to a lever and destroyed it with a liquid spawner. But the magma magma spread out and there was only level 1 everywhere, while I thought it would be an infinite spawner. Can I use it only to fill a small space with magma? Then it will be quite inconvenient to make multiple workshops using this trick. Or is there any way to use it more efficiently than I'm doing?

The way you're doing it is better for traps, or to fill small spaces.

Filling large spaces for magma forges was the topic of Ch. 21 in the orcfort tutorial

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:46 am »

smakepagus, thank you for the reply. Your fortress is amazing. And I believe, I got the basic idea how to do it with Orc fluid caster. However, it is still not clear what should I do in case with dwarven liquid spawner. If I am not mistaken, it works differently and does not produce magma unless destroyed. Shall I build multiple liquid spawners, collapse them to make the magma go into one small hole?  :-\

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:04 pm »

If I am not mistaken, it works differently and does not produce magma unless destroyed. Shall I build multiple liquid spawners, collapse them to make the magma go into one small hole?  :-\

Yes, this works OK.  Note that it works better if the spawner is on the ground and something caves in on top of it.  It works poorly sometimes if the spawner is on top of a pillar surrounded by free space, because the loose magma doesn't like to form in free space (it doesn't make any real sense, it's a dwarf-physics thing). 

Best:  Spawner on the floor in a hole with just a bit of free space around it (e.g., the 1-tile spawner in a 3x3 pit) -- magma should fill most of the pit
Fine:  Spawner on the floor in a tight space (1 tile spawner in a 1x1 pit) -- magma will reliably fill the tile it occupies
Worst:  Spawner up in the air on a pillar or something -- magma will still only fill the one square, and also spread out as it falls

I think Dwarf mode also has a version of filling magma tanker carts at workshops, because there is a reaction :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know for sure how you make the carts, but it looks like it's just a domestic tool so you can forge them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:02:30 pm by smakemupagus »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »

Does anyone know how many orders a magma workshop executes before dropping a 7/7 single tile down below the 4/7 minimum?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2013, 04:26:12 pm »

Does anyone know how many orders a magma workshop executes before dropping a 7/7 single tile down below the 4/7 minimum?

Magma workshops don't consume magma - they just need access to it.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.
« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »

How exactly do you use Blood and Tears of Armok? Initially, I thought they might be able to be placed sort of like an aquifer tile, spawning liquid, but I can't quite understand it.. do you just use them in an Alchemist's Workshop to fill flasks, which then fill liquid spawners, or... am I missing something.

EDIT: Further research into this seems to indicate that the gems are used in an Alchemist's workshop to fill flasks of water and magma, and are not used the way I originally thought. I have no idea where I got that idea from.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:54:21 pm by Victorian Era Rocketry »
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2013, 12:28:36 pm »

New question:

What stockpile (if any) are blueprints? I'm trying to get them moved from my depot into my fortress proper. I've looked through a lot of lists and cant seem to find them.

I got a helpful answer through a PM, and the person also informed me I may get flamed for asking a question which could be easily searched for. I had done a number of keyword searches here on this board, and general Google searches, and I couldn't for the life of me nail the right combo without pages of info about stuff that wasn't helpful.

That said, please forgive my ignorance. The volume of info spread across the net, and my own computer locally, make it hard to get the right answer. The Masterwork mod is outstanding, so I ask for understanding as I learn the ins and outs of it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:53:07 pm by Victorian Era Rocketry »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:08 am »

Don't worry about it; the mod is complex and the search tool on these forums is hardly precise enough to locate things like that.  There are plenty of helpful folks following this mod and I doubt anyone would get flamed for asking questions like that, even if they are repeats.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Mecha_Sushi_X

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2013, 12:06:10 pm »

I have what may be sort of a derpy question about castes. So is the only way to see if a dwarf is in a caste is to see an asterisk next to the relevant skills? But in which in-game screen, or is it visible in Therapist? And is it just migrants or can some of your embark dwarfs be in a caste? I just don't want to get a caste dwarf and waste their talent by assigning the wrong tasks. Also my version is 2f for the mac, if that matters. Thanks and awesome mod.  :)

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »

Castes are visible in Therapist. You can even sort dwarves by caste. If I remember correctly, they are usually also seen in dwarf's description using 'v'.

In 2f dwarves with castes could be both among your starting 7 and among migrants. Before you embark, you can try to read the descriptions of dwarves character using 'v' and sometimes castes were seen there. Sometimes they were not.

In 3a the castes system was redone and now there is a Guildhall, where you can send a dwarf and assign him to any caste you like on assumption you have gold coins minted for this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:07 am »

FengYun is absolutely correct. Castes by the *, therapist and the creature description.

I got a helpful answer through a PM, and the person also informed me I may get flamed for asking a question which could be easily searched for. I had done a number of keyword searches here on this board, and general Google searches, and I couldn't for the life of me nail the right combo without pages of info about stuff that wasn't helpful.
Mh? that wasnt me... someone else must have been answering question by PM and threatening people. Damn it, I thought that was my job. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tiniuclx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2013, 12:17:27 pm »

I'm getting combat reports that a child is drawing pentagrams in blood, and that another dwarf is watching my manufacturing process, or something like that. Can anyone explain me what is going on and if I should arrange an unfortunate accident for either of them?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 165