Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201410 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:09 am »

Do you want me to take a shot at rework the icemine with some Frostskald magic, so it really does cold damage in addition to the unconciousness?

Well, considering that other modders have done cold damage before, I guess it would do things good if people froze to death (and maybe slowed down a bit due to frost).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Zio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:26 am »

What's the optimal Armor for my military?
[/quote]
I try to be realistic with the armor and usually just give them this sort of set:
Padded trousers, padded shirt, padded hood, mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, helmet, boots, gauntlets and a cloak.
When you get mithril it's a good idea to update padded clothes to mithril clothes, is this what you wanted? I hope this helps. ^^

[/quote]

Thanks a lot, I didn't know I could make clothes out of mithril so this really helps

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:45:35 am »

If i make a dwarf join the wrestlers guild, and then i make them a guard, will they keep the agility bonus?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:22:30 pm »

No, the buffs won't carry over if you change guilds. You can still just call him a guard though :D

EDIT: I also have a question. What exactly dictates the lethality of black lung? Is it just randomised or is disease resistance what matters? I've had two miner deaths in one season due to coal dust suffocation, while none occured in my previous MW fort.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:25:29 pm by Noobazzah »

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:49:31 pm »

I'm pretty new to the masterwork mod but so far I like what I see. I messed around with it for about a week and just got started with a fortress I liked right as the new version came out. I've decided to restart and I have a few questions:

Question 1: Are the manuals up on the web for viewing? I was away from my DF computer last week and I wanted to access the manual but was unable to find any links. Maybe my google fu just sucks.

Question 2: Is there a "restore defaults" button on the GUI interface? Since I am new I have been mashing buttons like crazy to see what happens, then rolling up fortresses. Of course after an hour or two of this my options are a mess.

Question 3: Before trying the masterwork mod I watched a few of arumba's Let's Play episodes and did as he mentioned. I started all dwarfs with no skills and used the therapist optimizer to give them all their roles. What I have noticed is that there is very little stone dropping when my miners mine. I am wondering if this is a result of their relatively low skill (my initial suspicion) or that maybe there is a mod which reduces stone drop rate (my current theory)? I ask because even after three seasons of mining I am still getting very low amounts of limestone.

I've trained myself to dump and hide huge amounts of stone (no longer necessary, yippee!!) and also to use up a lot of stone via crafting, furniture making and block building.

Anyway, I appreciate the increased fps (duh) but would like a little more stone. Should I just be patient and let my miners skill up (what I was doing before v3 arrived)? Or should I change a number someplace in some mysterious file before rolling up a v3 fortress? Or should I just suck it up, deal with the change and build less stuff out of stone (which doesn't seem very dwarfy to me)?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »

The less stone is a vanilla DF change as of DF2012, it drops 1/4 of the time independent of miner skill, but you get 4 blocks from a boulder or 4 bars from an ore.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »

I also have a question. What exactly dictates the lethality of black lung? Is it just randomised or is disease resistance what matters? I've had two miner deaths in one season due to coal dust suffocation, while none occured in my previous MW fort.
I just raised the occurence of it, since your MasonsGuild Miners are immune to it... I wanted to make mining dangerous in the beginning, but easy once you have the guilds. The black lung/coal dust works just like before, its just easier to find now. It can still be toggled with harder mining, so no worries.

Question 1: Are the manuals up on the web for viewing? I was away from my DF computer last week and I wanted to access the manual but was unable to find any links. Maybe my google fu just sucks.
No. They are up for download though, at the Content Repository in this board. Just the manual, nothing else.

Question 2: Is there a "restore defaults" button on the GUI interface? Since I am new I have been mashing buttons like crazy to see what happens, then rolling up fortresses. Of course after an hour or two of this my options are a mess.
No. I could create such a button, given an hour or two of time.

Question 3: Before trying the masterwork mod I watched a few of arumba's Let's Play episodes and did as he mentioned. I started all dwarfs with no skills and used the therapist optimizer to give them all their roles. What I have noticed is that there is very little stone dropping when my miners mine. I am wondering if this is a result of their relatively low skill (my initial suspicion) or that maybe there is a mod which reduces stone drop rate (my current theory)? I ask because even after three seasons of mining I am still getting very low amounts of limestone.
Stone drop rate has not been changed, but some rock dont leave stone at all. Mudstone, Sandstone for example, they only leave dust/sand... you need good rock, granite, marble, gabbro... The manual lists all of them. This is optional btw, under "misc features" "less solid rock".
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 01:42:02 pm »

I looked around in the manual for the good rock list but could not find it.. Looked under inorganic materials and under rocks it said that no vanilla rocks were changed.. did some text string searches "marble" "granite" "gabbro" with no luck

I was digging limestone last fortress, which caused my original question

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »

the ones that crumble to dust are

SILTSTONE
MUDSTONE
CLAYSTONE
CHALK
SANDSTONE
rubble (replaces microcline)
living stone (replaces bauxite)

again all of the above is only if you have selected the "Less solid stone" question.

my other answer (that it is a change to vanilla Dwarf Fortress related to the wheelbarrows/minecarts overhaul) above took into account that you said Limestone ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:58:28 pm by smakemupagus »

chevre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »

Bunch of random questions here, some might be i am just new to DF overall..

I saved an embark profile from my first game with v3. I felt then like I had way more embark points than I deserved, so I grabbed a turret and some relatively expensive animals. Now I load this profile and have nowhere near enough points.. it seems low even just for food and more basic animals. Do the embark points vary or I am just confused?

The first thing that happened in the first game was my ward of Armok got into a fight with a toolbox. This means that the toolbox "animal" was a hidden cult member? Various animals and turrets and stone decoys and sprites were fighting with each other. I don't quite get how these things are used or where I put them before I have whatever building they are supposed to be used with.

How do I pick up stuff on the battlefield? Last game the elven caravan got attacked by something. I swear my military was inactive, I got no notice, but one of my guys ran out to the corner of the map and died, along with the caravan leader. Logs didn't show anything. There was a caged raptor, moon arrows, tiaras, all sorts of goodies I wanted to pick up.. but I couldn't. I just got some ridiculous settler wave, so had 30 idle.

I tried o> r> o to have them not ignore refuse outside. I tried forbidding and reclaiming. I tried dumping. I tried adding stockpiles for the types of things in the treasure pile. I tried AOE designate > building properties to get them to claim/dump/set forbid and un-forbid. I tried going into stocks and seeing if stuff was forbidden. Nothing worked, they just ignored the gear. I left open a gate so people could go out and was getting owned by thieves/mages sneaking in, got pissed and ragequit the game.

I had 50 settlers and some of them were complaining about being naked or something... What is my clothing strategy? I'm looking for any guides on setting up barracks, archer towers, scheduling training and all that if anyone can point me to these.. What are some good strategies for defense with the stuff Masterwork adds? I get to about a point where I have walls and a couple bridges up, but no traps and defenses beyond that and get sieged immediately or something goes wrong.

How can I get an actual river or brook in my embark? I search for has a river. It lists a stream or brook. 80% of the time, the map actually just has random murky pools, even though the world view shows what looks like a nice stream running through it... I selected a spot with an aquifer once and the whole map down about 5 levels was coated in water, so I just avoid aquifers. Is there any other water underground? I don't see how to make a well.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:21:09 pm by chevre »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »

where do i produce the brazier item? I reeeeeeeallly have a cool use for them

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 06:14:48 pm »

@chevre: If you dont know that basic controls of vanilla DF you should probably play it till you are comfortable with the game, then switch to mods. Embark points very by worldgen, not by embark profile. All pets fight, if you put several into tight spaces. The gear should have been collected, it must have been something on your end, ragequitting wont help in a game where you cant save&reload old games. Strategies and defense is the same in the mod then in normal DF, first learn how to use the military in vanilla DF, or play without invaders.

@Stronghammer: Its under the "illumination" category. So if you make "illumination" in your craftsdwarf you will make braziers or candelabras. Same at embark or trading. The illumination completely replaces toys as an item section.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »

awesome, I am currently building my DF version of an erebor like fort.

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 06:27:41 pm »

Noobazzah:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zio: The worldgen has been answered, and there is no optimal armor anymore. There are good and bad ones depending on the situation. For the best of the best you would have to spend a few ingame years and 100 bars... a fully rune-coated adamantine platearmor set, with netherbark or dragonscale padded armor underneath. With adamantine tower shield, coat and all that in masterwork quality...
Ooh, you updated the manual, awesome I haven't noticed. ^^
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:30:15 pm by SuicideRey »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:05 pm »

I just had an interesting happen stance. My miner went to join the Mason's guild, and instead her baby was inducted into their guild instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 165