Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137230 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #825 on: July 14, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »

Community on discord seems good enough. They are really helpful, since some of the mechanics are pretty obscure. There isn't really a tutorial, and some of the stuff (maybe a lot of it) on the wiki is outdated. But pretty much anything I'm confused by I ask on the discord. But I think game could do with a better tutorial, even if its just popup windows explaining what stuff does. That or update the wiki.

But one thing was the building stuff. Like, I couldn't build a capitol building (button didn't even show up). But I thought building an observatory WITH using a capitol building blueprint would work. Since that was the only "obvious" choice. Turns out, nope its still an observatory lol. I had to craft a flag and create an empire, then all the missing buildings showed up. But the blueprints for buildings are kinda weird cause you can choose different "designs" but like a mine will always be a mine no matter what blueprint you choose. Houses supposedly being an exception.

Outside of that, I like how the game starts. Literally start as a tribe with tents and a campfire. Though I did remake a few times...my very first planet had 0 water, no trees anywhere at all, no bushes, no animals rofl. I guess a barren planet or something cause it was also flat as far as the eye could see. But community for game seems fine like I said, maybe it was worse before or/and maybe the small playerbase creates a more friendly environment or something. But that is just going by discord (which has 82 online on their discord as I type this post)

As for my "city". So far got the capitol building (and in process of building a police station), an ore mine, two stone mines, some houses, a farm for vegetables (I chose omnivore, seems like easiest diet, and I'm an insectoid and insects tend to eat everything anyway. Scavenger probably work better since insects tend to be scavengers, but I dunno sounds harder than omnivore) and I had to build a 2nd farm for plant fiber to make the flag. There is also oil pretty close by, which is good. I'm sure like real life, oil is super important. I also have an ocean pretty close  by, where the oil is.

I did choose the PVE galaxy (which is also considered "singleplayer" cause no one plays on it. But that is what my friend wants to be on, when next month he joins me. And I was kinda leaning toward that anyway. Though it didn't really matter too much to me. He doesn't like pvp at all though, and even though people say no pvp happens in the actual pvp galaxy, he doesn't want to worry about it. Our last pvp experience was dayz and it ruined pvp for him forever :P

Game is good though so far, just some stuff is confusing. I'm looking forward to when I can go to the moon. Its actually really addicting. I stayed up pretty late cause kept wanting to build stuff and get things done cause there is always stuff to do at least early on.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:59:18 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:09 pm »

Is he better or worse than the dev from Land of Lords though?
they are not comparable. haxus is an actual human being while i think the lands of lords dev is the unconvincing mortal form manifested by satan himself.

i have played many times on and off, for many years, and from what i can tell the only controversy with haxus was something about the forums and how he handled criticism. he isnt a rude person by any means. i dont know the details about it.

one thing i do know is that now that he is charging money for this game he is much more serious about it. updates are much beefer and frequent, and by that measure the game is more alive than ever.

the only reason i am not playing is the playerbase: its tiny, and i think its what preventing many more people from playing. i am positive that there are many people like me, sitting and watching for something to happen for the floodgates to open.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 14, 2018, 06:42:32 pm »

Mostly I'm not playing because it's such a massively addictive time sink.
Back when it was free I'd try recruit newbies who didn't know what they were doing and try get them started by giving them managerial role over a planet and let them get to setting up a city with a box of better tools etc.
None of them ever stuck around though, it got a bit tiresome sinking hours of time into helping a newbie and then having them just never come back.

Whats the ship design like now? I stopped playing a little before it went pay, I remember the building designer go in, not sure if those buildings are still around or if they're even designed the same way anymore, but some of the default designs from that era were mine.
There was the stage when Haxus was messing with a more freeform ship designer, I don't think I ever saw the results of that, there were lots of complaints from the playerbase thinking it'd be too hard to design ships, and the out of game previews of the designer wasn't the most easy to use,  but I was waiting out to see how Haxus got a bit further with it and see if he came up with anything interesting to make it simple to use.

Did PvP ship battles get any better? I never got a chance to be involved in those but I think they were pretty janky from what I'd heard.
There was also the research which some players wanted gone as they saw it as pointless, did anything happen in that space?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 14, 2018, 07:07:11 pm »

Research has been changed to some degree, though I honestly don't remember how so. Both buildings and ships now use a freeform designer that's basically just a fancy 3D Modeling program. I personally dislike this, as it raises the minimum skill to build your own stuff way too high in my opinion, but it's definitely not an objectively bad design decision.

Haxus is again, a competent developer. The thing is, though, he's primarily developing Hazeron for himself. He's been making it for decades, and he makes the game according to his vision and only his vision. He listens to minor feedback, but it's hard to convince him on anything above that. It's his dream game. He can be a bit rude, but that's only when he's provoked it feels like -- if a player is being arguably rude to him, he may say something like "don't let the door hit you on the way out." That kind of thing.
I'm pretty sure he shut down the game for primarily monetary reasons, and I don't recall any kind of "tantrum" prior to the game shutting down.

But the community, though... Ugh. There are two people I think of in particular, and I even wrote mini-rants on each before deleting it (for the best). Not that my disliking of the community purely stems from these guys or anything. It's just very... "small town". Everyone knows everyone else, and it feels vaguely cult-like looking from the outside.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 14, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »

I'm still torn when it comes to the new designer, even after useing it for a year.

On one hand I still remember how proud I was when I uploaded and built my first Songbird, watching it lift of the ground, unfold its wings and fly away. How many other games let you design your very own swing wing spacecraft?
On the other hand I also still remember the hours upon hours it took until I understood the new editor enough to design it, especially compared to the old one in which I built my first okay looking ship after 30 minutes of trying. Doing anything with the new designer is just so much work.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 14, 2018, 08:14:11 pm »

I somewhat imagined Haxus doing something along the lines of having module blueprints which you could use to glue together a spaceship to bridge the gap.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 14, 2018, 08:28:14 pm »

Sadly not. At least not in a way that would help a newbie.

While you can save parts (called assembly by the designer) and later copy them into designs it is still a non-trivial amount of work to get it right. I use that for standardized chairs, bridge consoles and turrets on my designs, which really does cut down on the overall work. But you still have to make them by hand at least once (I think pretty much no one uploads assemblies and there are no presets delivered with the game itself) and moving them into position is still a fiddly work that takes a few minutes on each part.

I guess in theory you could use that to make copy&paste ready blueprints of entire rooms or hull sections, but I don't think I've seen anybody do that yet.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 16, 2018, 01:10:34 pm »

Sadly not. At least not in a way that would help a newbie.

While you can save parts (called assembly by the designer) and later copy them into designs it is still a non-trivial amount of work to get it right. I use that for standardized chairs, bridge consoles and turrets on my designs, which really does cut down on the overall work. But you still have to make them by hand at least once (I think pretty much no one uploads assemblies and there are no presets delivered with the game itself) and moving them into position is still a fiddly work that takes a few minutes on each part.

I guess in theory you could use that to make copy&paste ready blueprints of entire rooms or hull sections, but I don't think I've seen anybody do that yet.
you could just download 3d files from online and use them in hazeron, i know a lot of people who built their ships that way

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 17, 2018, 02:49:53 pm »

Oh I never tested that new designer, and the building. Maybe one day Hazeron will pull me again it seems.  ::)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:26 pm »

Pretty active today (11 people on as I type this post, one of those being Haxus). Most active I've seen it, and its only Tuesday.

My city is coming along really nicely though. Almost 1k population, and I'm in process of getting a rocket going (but a lot of resources and buildings needed for the supplies+astronaut clothing). I did claim the planet though, I guess it wasn't claimed before. You need to hold the flag and then click on the ground, not "place" the flag when that option comes up.

I did start a military base. I dunno how useful it'll be on the PVE galaxy, but I figure space marines be good for my ships. Plus there are still NPC pirates I believe.

I'm enjoying the game a lot still. Its quite a process to leave the planet to the moon (like real life lol), and I figure I'll crash the rocket a few times. But progressing decently I think. Pretty close to rocket stage, which will be awesome to get a colony started on the moon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 17, 2018, 04:48:25 pm »

I think at one point I was tempted to write a guide(or perhaps someone else already had, it's been a while) on how to get from nothing to the moon in an arbitrarily estimated 30 minutes.

Of course, how much of the knowledge I had on the subject back then is relevant now is rather questionable. Plus, the fact everything you build requires DIY 3D modeling largely puts a damper on doing anything fast.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #836 on: July 17, 2018, 06:27:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure he shut down the game for primarily monetary reasons, and I don't recall any kind of "tantrum" prior to the game shutting down.
It was after the game shut down (although shutting the game down one day without prior warning to anyone was kind of ? ? ?). He apparently didin't get the fact that people want to play the game at all, and was pretty much against any online form of it existing. I don't remember the details, but I remember going like "what the fuck went wrong, is something wrong in his life or something that he's just doing that?". I believe the monetary reasons are the official explanation, but then you'd guess he would warn people in advance or something, not 5 minutes before it goes dark, lol.
On the other hand, that's Haxus for you.

Also, the 3D modelling is fun but it is ultimately WAY too complicated for it's own good. TBH I'd like if it had an option to make arbitrary rooms like in the old one and then just overlay a model on top of it, or even generate one for you, because the primary problem is handling the interior, zones and all that shit. It should be just more... automated if it needs to be. I mean, maybe it changed and is now, but I remember it being a handful to figure out and it took me like two days to figure out everything (like, modelling it in 3D is by any means not the worst part, the worst part is making it so shit works) and make a basic ship I'd do in 15 minutes in old one.

Also, heh, I remember the days of old Hazeron. Going to moon with a helicopter because building a rocket is too casual, ferrying ships through space and running out of fuel at Warp 32, shitty combat. I remember the... Klingons? And Toucan Empire. I remember when Syndicate was not a thing, then it was a thing, and I was fighting with some dudes (Fasgort? TJSoldia?), Shitstaines, having a close enounter with the Battle Barge, and then after we started losing some of the dudes I was with turned out to not take that well and just turned to shooting random people in Syndicate space, which was pretty rude.

I came back some time later and I started playing like week before the game shut down, struggling with the new non-grid based building system. I tried a trial from a friend like months ago and decided "fuck that noise" after screwing with the ship builder.
Eh, I feel like Hazeron was greatest during like... 2010-2012? I don't even remember a lot, it was quite long ago, lol. Also, I always wondered, since I think it may have just been my imagination, but I swear I seen Shores Of Hazeron version of the DF "Casual-Hardcore-DF" image, which basically was another piece to the right where the dude fights monsters, builds cities, goes to moon in a rocket, that type of stuff, getting fucktons of fun, and then he gets his first spaceship and departs with friends into a Galaxy of FUN. I remember this image really well, but I have been looking for it every time SoH is brought up, but I never did. I wonder if someone has it or at least remembers it too, lol.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 17, 2018, 09:46:02 pm »

God, I hated the Syndicate. Feel like it was the beginning of the end for "good ol' Hazeron". Claiming huge sections of the galaxy and kicking out newbies from their empiers and just generally being assholes.
But yeah. Hazeron was great then, though I still think it has potential to be that great again in the future. Maybe. I'm not exactly tremendously hopeful.

It honestly feels like the parts I loved about Hazeron -- the "good ol' Hazeron" -- were just a largely unintentional stepping stone towards Haxus' real goal. Where it's less of a game itself and more of a vessel for people to make games in. Wanting people to 3d model the ships and buildings, and wanting people to make their own quests. It could be interesting, but it's not the Hazeron I liked.

Still a good game, I'm sure, but I too fondly remember when it was really good.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 18, 2018, 01:44:39 pm »

It honestly feels like the parts I loved about Hazeron -- the "good ol' Hazeron" -- were just a largely unintentional stepping stone towards Haxus' real goal. Where it's less of a game itself and more of a vessel for people to make games in. Wanting people to 3d model the ships and buildings, and wanting people to make their own quests. It could be interesting, but it's not the Hazeron I liked.

Still a good game, I'm sure, but I too fondly remember when it was really good.

I agree, it seems the dev accidentally bumped into FUN and didn't realize, while strongly taking it elsewhere.

Also, heh, I remember the days of old Hazeron. Going to moon with a helicopter because building a rocket is too casual, ferrying ships through space and running out of fuel at Warp 32, shitty combat. I remember the... Klingons? And Toucan Empire. I remember when Syndicate was not a thing

:') The nostalgia will always be strong. All the shenanigans the game would inspire you to get into would sometimes make up for the suicide-traders and limbo.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 19, 2018, 03:56:34 am »

Was thinking about going back, but what the F happened. This has 0% chance to gain population now. How the hell did Haxus think this is a good process:
1) You have to register to be told how much you have to pay to create account.
2) You will not get a mail or something, just a link to paypal on a page after providing email address. No going back if you close that page.
3) Still don't know how much it costs, because you are only told the 15-day entrance fee until you pay it.

This and reading that you HAVE TO use that 3d designer for EVERYTHING you make now beats me. Oh, and offline version has no saves or even working communication with villagers for trading.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 65