Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137343 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #495 on: March 06, 2015, 11:51:44 am »

We also recently discovered that ainb lied to haxus back in the day claiming ikkir used admin tools against his empire (after ainb had used admin tools against the toucan, he claimed ikkir was retaliating or some dumb shit.) And haxus just believed him without asking ikkir or checking anything. And then shit on us because of it, probably. Haxus is really a terrible person to have running a game like hazeron.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:57:49 am by Mattk50 »

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 06, 2015, 12:27:07 pm »

That and his shitstorm and ban-wave following the officers-don't-stop-colony-decay change and backlash.  Hell, IIRC, he banned the original forum host.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #497 on: March 06, 2015, 01:08:48 pm »

Haxus didn't ban, he account nuked (delete all posts) on the forum.  He nuked Torikhtil for a series of comments, and then shortly after Rein who made a post that more or less attempted to use every curse/attack in the book from what I remember in an attempt to also get nuked.   D3Matt, the original forum host, wasn't nuked or banned.   No one was banned in-game either (only one person has ever been in-game banned, and he more or less asked for it and Haxus was happy to try out his account-close tool).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2015, 01:36:00 pm »

d3matt did get a rude series of comments directed at him by haxus. And haxus recently went on the forums claiming he never did. Either haxus is a boldfaced liar or ainb hijacked haxus' account and used it to spout profanity at everyone. During that instance, haxus's posts kept getting deleted by himself only minutes after being posted.

When haxus started nuking accounts he made a statement that could have been interpreted as him saying he would delete ingame accounts as well. We're not sure if he intended to but couldnt figure out how or what, but i dont think people bothered logging in again after that event anyways, i know i didn't.

Haxus' ingame ban tool that he tested beforehand didnt actually remove the characters or the account, i was there when it was being tested and still have the screenshots of the convo. it took him awhile to get working too so maybe he just got lazy and never figured it out.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:16 pm »

Huh.  I sit corrected, then.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:19 pm »

1) The Federal Reserve is a privately funded, non-government entity made up of banking institutions that manages the US currency since the creation of fiat money.

It's not quite that clear-cut.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The authority of the Federal Reserve System is derived from statutes enacted by the U.S. Congress and the System is subject to congressional oversight. The members of the Board of Governors, including its chair and vice-chair, are chosen by the President and confirmed by the Senate. The federal government sets the salaries of the Board's seven governors. Nationally chartered commercial banks are required to hold stock in the Federal Reserve Bank of their region; this entitles them to elect some of the members of the board of the regional Federal Reserve Bank. Thus the Federal Reserve system has both public and private aspects.[18][19][20][21] The U.S. Government receives all of the system's annual profits, after a statutory dividend of 6% on member banks' capital investment is paid, and an account surplus is maintained. In 2010, the Federal Reserve made a profit of $82 billion and transferred $79 billion to the U.S. Treasury.[22]

I figured it couldn't hurt to do some more reading on the gold standard. After reading all that, I'm not seeing how going back on it could alleviate the economic slowdown. It even sounds like things would have been worse if we'd been on the gold standard in 2008.

As for your last question, Haxus doesn't just program Hazeron, he also acts as the game designer, community manager, the bug tracker (in lieu of one that players can use), etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »

Fiat money is still a financial train-wreck in motion, and the Federal Reserve is a nightmare entity that simply should not exist.  Material standard doesn't have to be gold, it just has to be an actual resource, preferably one that is fairly stable.  And really, his opinions on the economy do not meaningfully reflect on his capacities in any of the stated fields.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »

Money in general is a necessary nuisance. Trading with currency is a massive convenience over bartering, where it can be much harder to make trades of equal value since everyone has needs and wants that you, or they, might not be able to provide, but it comes with its own difficulties. The fact is that the only reliably stable currencies would also be so common as to be nearly valueless on their own anyway, and if you set it up so that only part of it is in circulation so that the currency isn't valueless, well, that's basically fiat money anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2015, 03:05:33 pm »

Fiat money is still a financial train-wreck in motion, and the Federal Reserve is a nightmare entity that simply should not exist.

I'm glad to see that your reasoning is purely driven by logic rather than emotion.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2015, 04:02:44 pm »

Quote from: Haxus
The fact is, government does not contribute to the economy. All they do is redistribute wealth that is earned by the non-government portion of the economy.
top kek
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2015, 03:49:14 am »

so this is what Hazeron uses now, except that because he thinks it's impossible to use up all the resources on a planet, all the mines are infinite and you can mint currency forever, and yet he did not implement inflation.
Because that is not at all a common thing in science fiction ever. Not at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Melanthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2015, 04:43:53 am »

I can't wait until someone makes a better Shores of Hazeron.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2015, 05:04:20 am »

At this point I don't know why I simply don't care about all these super important and scandalous controversies. It's happened multiple times before in multiple different games and developers that I follow, and I simply don't care. I attribute it to being human and making mistakes and forgive them for it, or even understand their reasons. I guess other people don't approve of whatever they think the reasons are or don't approve of the mistakes. I just don't know. I enjoy Hazeron, and while I do find the creator's opinions on certain things (economy) questionable, I don't care enough to let it impact my enjoyment of the game.

But that being said, Shores of Hazeron is a one-of-a-kind game. There will never be anything like Shores of Hazeron. Maybe a space-faring empire builder game. Maybe a spacecraft captain game. But never anything with the scale and ambition of Hazeron.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2015, 05:20:04 am »

so this is what Hazeron uses now, except that because he thinks it's impossible to use up all the resources on a planet, all the mines are infinite and you can mint currency forever, and yet he did not implement inflation.
Technically, as long as you have a source of energy, which a sci--fi civilization should have, you can just settle down of refining and recycling everything around you, because all resources "used" are still there - they don't magically disappear into space.
._.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2015, 07:48:06 am »

Technically, as long as you have a source of energy, which a sci--fi civilization should have, you can just settle down of refining and recycling everything around you, because all resources "used" are still there - they don't magically disappear into space.

I think that's essentially the point Haxus is making in the linked post. Depends heavily on the material though. Something really scarce will undoubtedly be exhausted in a realistic timeframe, and "mining" it would completely cease. Recycling, sure, but it's a little iffy in a sci-fi setting when those materials literally can get up and leave the planet... since we are talking about a planetary scale here.

Common metals like iron, though... a lot, lot harder to exhaust.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 65