Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gigantic Tortoises, a PSA  (Read 3023 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Gigantic Tortoises, a PSA
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 03:34:53 pm »

At this point, the master speardwarf grabbed his freshly forged adamantine spear, leapt into the air and struck the tortoise in the shell. It broke apart...
Is it really bad that, given the general context in which this occurred, I first parsed this "it" that broke apart as referring to the adamantine spear rather than the shell?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 08:03:01 pm »

At this point, the master speardwarf grabbed his freshly forged adamantine spear, leapt into the air and struck the tortoise in the shell. It broke apart...
Is it really bad that, given the general context in which this occurred, I first parsed this "it" that broke apart as referring to the adamantine spear rather than the shell?
Next mission: Make a Gigantic Tortoise shell spear!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 05:00:06 pm »

So, the more something weighs the more impact when dropped, correct?

please drop a tortoise on a goblin (or elf) for me...

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 07:52:04 pm »

God help me if I could capture and train War Sponges, to post along the border of my map.

I feel quite certain that this is the first time I have ever seen the phrase "War Sponge."  (Which would make a good band name, come to think of it.)

The things that come up in this game . . .
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:16:27 am »

God help me if I could capture and train War Sponges, to post along the border of my map.

I feel quite certain that this is the first time I have ever seen the phrase "War Sponge."  (Which would make a good band name, come to think of it.)

The things that come up in this game . . .
Good proposition! I like the name. Either a brand, or a band...

And I might have to drop a tortoise on someone. They probably won't take any damage.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »

What amuses me, is imagining what the dwarves were saying while all this was going on.

Overseer: Quick!  To arms!
Militia commander: What's going on? Berserk dwarf?  Goblin ambush?  Werecreature?  Forgotten beast?
Overseer: There's an enormous tortoise loose in the dining hall.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 12:12:26 am »

What amuses me, is imagining what the dwarves were saying while all this was going on.

Overseer: Quick!  To arms!
Militia commander: What's going on? Berserk dwarf?  Goblin ambush?  Werecreature?  Forgotten beast?
Overseer: There's an enormous tortoise loose in the dining hall.

Or in the medical room.

/Monty Pythonesque scene, with British accents

/Lights pan onto a bleeding dwarf and the surgeon, who is standing there calmly

Dr: So... tell me again what happened?

Axedwarf: Well, I saw the asher punching the tortoise, so I thought I would help, and then...! And then...!
/He stutters to an end, point violently at his missing limb, from which blood is squirting everywhere

/Dr. studies it for a moment, humming to himself
Dr: "Hmmm, yes, this is a rather unfortunate accident. Hmmm. So what you're saying is... that the tortoise bit your foot off?

/The axedwarf is turning pale, blood is all over the table now
Axedwarf: YES! 'E BIT MY ARMOK FORSAKEN FOOT OFF! NOW STITCH ME UP!
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 02:07:58 am »

4: Asmel "Washhem", adequate asher, he was a recent migrant

You didn't reference this citation in your main article. Sorry, i've noticed it, and i can't un notice it now :P

unfortunately, i dont' think i've even seen giant tortoises in my games, let alone gigantic ones.
Magma is overrated.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 04:56:39 pm »

I noticed the missing 4 also.

Allow me to insist that this research be placed on the Wiki for all future generations.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 11:57:32 pm »

I noticed the missing 4 also.

Allow me to insist that this research be placed on the Wiki for all future generations.

I will have to fix the missing 4.

There really is not much research here that was no already in the wiki. I compiled it together into one smooth vision.
Pages: 1 [2]