Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gigantic Tortoises, a PSA  (Read 3031 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Gigantic Tortoises, a PSA
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

This is a general Dwarven Public Service Announcement about Gigantic Tortoises1.

Biological researchers at Onolmeban2 captured many live specimens of the gigantic tortoise, along with many other species of giant insects. The resident Keeper, Asmel Mistemzatam3, took to taming the giant beasts in hopes to one day gather the eggs for breeding and harvest the creatures for their extensive shells and meat. Each tortoise can live to be over one hundred years old. Asmel took deep records and accounts of the tortoise and came down to these pieces of information.

Size: 1,239,000 to 2,478,000cm3, meaning they can be 20 to 41 times larger than your average dwarf.
They average 27-59 pieces of meat for the butcher, 23-25 bones and 9-12 pieces of bone for the carver along with a skull.
The only wasted piece of the tortoise is the skin. They have tough, leathery scales that can not be made into armor, claims the leatherworker.
It appears that once a year, the tortoises will claim a nestbox to breed its young.

So far, these things seem like a major plus for the dwarven city of Onolmeban, but there is a drawback to these behemoths. First of all, they take up the entire damn hallway. Wherever the tortoises tread, the dwarves tend to either path around or get stuck in a giant jumble or trying to duck around each other. Secondarily, the first generation of tortoises were once wild, and thusly, long to be free again. Sometimes they will break for the surface and forget their training.

This is where Onolmeban's troubles truly begin.

Because the tortoise is so much larger than a dwarf, it can absorb a ridiculous amount of damage before it gives in. On the 23rd of Granite, 158, one of these tortoises forgot all of it's training and went wild inside of the dining hall. It made a break at the Asher Asmel Stelidzon4, who then proceeds to punch the tortoise for something like ten pages of combat logs until he passes out from exertion. The tortoise retracted into it's shell and sat there for the entire battle.

Afterwards, it wandered around until it ran into the war grizzly bear. They engage in combat, but that was short lived...
                                                                                                                                                                ...For the war grizzly. It bit the tortoise in the leg, and wounded it. The tortoise turned around and ripped the bear's head off. Because of the tortoise's size, it healed almost instantly. At this point, the military was alerted to the presence of the wild tortoise, and a lone axedwarf decided to take it on. He fractured the shell, but the tortoise bit his foot off. The axedwarf was instantly rushed to the hospital, and survived. The hammerdwarves rushed in and began to crush the tortoise, trying to break its impenetrable shell to no avail.

At this point, the master speardwarf grabbed his freshly forged adamantine spear, leapt into the air and struck the tortoise in the shell. It broke apart, and he epically wrestled the tortoise for a bit before he struck it in the skull with his spear, ending the battle.

The kill count: 1 tortoise, 1 war grizzly bear and an axedwarf's foot.

This is a cautionary tale for anyone who wishes to tame the gigantic tortoise. Beware it's oversized power, healing and its shell. Let the researchers of Onolmeban be a guard against any future interactions with the feared beast.

Thank you for reading,
TheyGotLeader

1: Not to be confused with their slightly smaller brethren, the giant tortoise. Be careful of their misleading names.
2: That is "Mountainstreams", for those who do not speak Dwarven.
3: Asmel "Portalclouts", legendary keeper
4: Asmel "Washhem", adequate asher, he was a recent migrant

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:58:34 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gigantic Tortoises, a PSA
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »

This is a general Dwarven Public Service Announcement about Gigantic Tortoises1.

Biological researchers at Onolmeban2 captured many live specimens of the gigantic tortoise, along with many other species of giant insects. The resident Keeper, Asmel Mistemzatam3, took to taming the giant beasts in hopes to one day gather the eggs for breeding and harvest the creatures for their extensive shells and meat. Each tortoise can live to be over one hundred years old. Asmel took deep records and accounts of the tortoise and came down to these pieces of information.

Size: 1,239,000 to 2,478,000cm3, meaning they can be 20 to 41 times larger than your average dwarf.
They average 27-59 pieces of meat for the butcher, 23-25 bones and 9-12 pieces of bone for the carver along with a skull.
The only wasted piece of the tortoise is the skin. They have tough, leathery scales that can not be made into armor, claims the leatherworker.
It appears that once a year, the tortoises will claim a nestbox to breed its young.

So far, these things seem like a major plus for the dwarven city of Onolmeban, but there is a drawback to these behemoths. First of all, they take up the entire damn hallway. Wherever the tortoises tread, the dwarves tend to either path around or get stuck in a giant jumble or trying to duck around each other. Secondarily, the first generation of tortoises were once wild, and thusly, long to be free again. Sometimes they will break for the surface and forget their training.

This is where Onolmeban's troubles truly begin.

Because the tortoise is so much larger than a dwarf, it can absorb a ridiculous amount of damage before it gives in. On the 23rd of Granite, 158, one of these tortoises forgot all of it's training and went wild inside of the dining hall. It made a break at the Asher Asmel Stelidzon, who then proceeds to punch the tortoise for something like ten pages of combat logs until he passes out from exertion. The tortoise retracted into it's shell and sat there for the entire battle.

Afterwards, it wandered around until it ran into the war grizzly bear. They engage in combat, but that was short lived...
                                                                                                                                                                ...For the war grizzly. It bit the tortoise in the leg, and wounded it. The tortoise turned around and ripped the bear's head off. Because of the tortoise's size, it healed almost instantly. At this point, the military was alerted to the presence of the wild tortoise, and a lone axedwarf decided to take it on. He fractured the shell, but the tortoise bit his foot off. The axedwarf was instantly rushed to the hospital, and survived. The hammerdwarves rushed in and began to crush the tortoise, trying to break its impenetrable shell to no avail.

At this point, the master speardwarf grabbed his freshly forged adamantine spear, leapt into the air and struck the tortoise in the shell. It broke apart, and he epically wrestled the tortoise for a bit before he struck it in the skull with his spear, ending the battle.

The kill count: 1 tortoise, 1 war grizzly bear and an axedwarf's foot.

This is a cautionary tale for anyone who wishes to tame the gigantic tortoise. Beware it's oversized power, healing and its shell. Let the researchers of Onolmeban be a guard against any future interactions with the feared beast.

Thank you for reading,
TheyGotLeader

1: Not to be confused with their slightly smaller brethren, the giant tortoise. Be careful of their misleading names.
2: That is "Mountainstreams", for those who do not speak Dwarven.
3: Asmel "Portalclouts", legendary keeper
4: Asmel "Washhem", adequate asher, he was a recent migrant

With all this talk of tortoises and PSAs, I immediately thought of Bert the Turtle and expected something about dwarves learning to hide inside when danger threatens or something.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:52:18 pm »

dont ask me about the time my weaponized thrall-giant got loose...that monster weighed 14,000,000 ish due to being gigantic size and overweight, and could not be decapitated or bisected due to it's size, and was effectively immortal...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »

I must capture and train me some gigantic wartortlesoises. They sound like the best defense.

Also pokemon mod yes please.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:13:23 pm »

Sadly, gigantic tortoises are not trainable for war and they tend to hide in their shells when danger strikes, much like Bert the Turtle. I could only imagine one that could actually come out of its shell and fight.

So much healing power. So much shell.

I think I am going to start chaining the future generations of the tortoises around my fortress. It will aggro enemies, where they will spend all of their time trying to wound it.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:59:31 pm »

I think I am going to start chaining the future generations of the tortoises around my fortress. It will aggro enemies, where they will spend all of their time trying to wound it.

I had a similar experience with a Giant Sponge in a terrifying jungle. Every single undead would spawn, and immediately try to kill them, leading to 50+ undead in a 3x3 area trying desperately to tear little bits of fluff off him for about 10 years.

God help me if I could capture and train War Sponges, to post along the border of my map.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »

I had a similar experience with a Giant Sponge in a terrifying jungle. Every single undead would spawn, and immediately try to kill them, leading to 50+ undead in a 3x3 area trying desperately to tear little bits of fluff off him for about 10 years.

God help me if I could capture and train War Sponges, to post along the border of my map.
not a bad idea...dont forget repeating upright spikes surrounding each sponge so you can kill all the undead (the sponge wont die, and will be harmless if chained).

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:41 pm »

Is it just me, or does this sound like a rather odd military design?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:57:29 am »

Not really, the tortise formation used to be quite popular back in the day  ;D
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 01:13:19 am »

I think you almost got yourself a D rating :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:53 am »

i believe its called turtling

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 03:04:29 am »

"The things I do for shells."
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 03:43:05 am »

Do you not acquire shells from butchering them?

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 06:25:59 am »

0.o I guess some prefer the tortoise position... yes, that's the D rated one  ;D
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 02:58:06 pm »

i believe its called turtling

I was going to suggest a Roman formation of some form but I think we already went over that.

And LoudWhisperes: yes. They produce shell for days. My bone carver has made thousands of gigantic tortoise bone bolts and decorated all of my mechanisms with shell. Plus now I have stacks of gigantic tortoise tallow soap, gigantic tortoise skull totems, and gigantic tortoise biscuits. It is like my entire fortress is based around these monstrous devils and somehow I am alright with it.
Pages: [1] 2