Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let's say someone has the means to make a perfect copy of you, give it $10, and destroy your original body, all with a 100% success rate, and he offers to do this to you. Would you accept?

Yes
- 10 (17.9%)
No
- 46 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Consciousness and brain transfers  (Read 14241 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Consciousness and brain transfers
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »

i'll vote yes only if my original brain gets to be successfully transferred to the new body.

My interpretation of the question is if they make a clone of me with the perfect physical form, and the same memories and ambitions, but which is NOT me and does not have my consciousness. And then destroy the original body (including the brain).
Please define consciousness.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »

Then I imagine you wouldn't have a problem you wouldn't have a problem with splitting your consciousness, and I have no real disagreement with you. It is a different stance than my own, but one that makes sense and is easy enough to support. It is valid. So if you can get these guys to accept that instead of the one I'm trying to build towards, good luck! I don't care if people agree with me, just that they stop being so wrong.
Actually, no. Us being continually changing doesn't mean we don't have a link to our past selves, this link being part of our present selves.
There's no point in creating a clone / teleportation / mind transfer, even with the same memories.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

But your consciousness is ENTIRELY because of the structure of your brain and the memories you have. That is what defines you.
its what defines you, but its another person and it is not you. A copy is not the original, it doesnt matter if it is exactly the same.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:58 pm »

I define death as a permanent end of your ability to think and percieve the world around you, and that's what you'll get if your body is destroyed, regardless of clones.
This is pretty much the most direct explanation I can think of.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2013, 05:25:13 pm »

Please define consciousness.
the ability to be aware of your surroundings, to be alive.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2013, 05:27:19 pm »

You in five minutes is not you now.
Hell, you in a second is not you now. Every unit of planck time you are being destroyed and recreated based on inputs from the outside world and internal memories. The copy would be just as alien as you in an hour is.

EDIT: I will die. I am dying. I and many other iterations of myself have died while typing this. But an impression of them exists, both in this forum post and in memories of their existence.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »

Hell, you in a second is not you now. Every unit of planck time you are being destroyed and recreated based on inputs from the outside world and internal memories. The copy would be just as alien as you in an hour is.
People keep saying this like it matters.
What matters is perception. Do you percieve that you were alive 5 seconds ago? Yes.
If you died as I described above, would you percieve anything at all ever again? No.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:30 pm »

What matters is perception. Do you percieve that you were alive 5 seconds ago? Yes.
If you died as I described above, would you percieve anything at all ever again? No.
I perceived that me from 5 seconds ago was alive.
Likewise, my brain-clone would perceive me now as having been alive.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:41 pm »

you are thinking of memory, but a person's existence is not only memory.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2013, 05:32:00 pm »

you are thinking of memory, but a person's existence is not only memory.
What is it beyond that?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2013, 05:34:24 pm »

Now there is a surprising amount of people who voted "No" on the poll. May I have some explanations for that?

It's rather simple, I don't want to die. I don't see the need for a copy of me, won't do me any good since I'll be dead. I don't care about my 'personality' walking around after I'm gone, I care about my own curiosity being sated through my own consciousness for as long as I can.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »

What is it beyond that?
to exist is to make sense of the world and change along with it, learning from new experiences and adding to your memory.

if you were to be replaced by a clone then the new memories and experiences are not added to you, but to the clone.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »

Now there is a surprising amount of people who voted "No" on the poll. May I have some explanations for that?

It's rather simple, I don't want to die. I don't see the need for a copy of me, won't do me any good since I'll be dead. I don't care about my 'personality' walking around after I'm gone, I care about my own curiosity being sated through my own consciousness for as long as I can.
This. Again. This thing about consciousness.
Consciousness does not extend to the future. You are only aware of the present and the past. The one who survives is just as much you as the one who dies. They both remember you as you are now. They both identify with that person. They are both you.
That doesn't really excuse killing a guy though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »

Your brain-clone is physically and literally a seperate person than yourself. If you can't recognise that, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2013, 05:41:07 pm »

Your brain-clone is physically and literally a seperate person than yourself. If you can't recognise that, I'm not sure how to proceed.
They are a seperate person. So is me in the future.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20