Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205245 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

I dunno, a good director can give you guidance, but they can't force an actor to emote correctly.

No, but they can force everyone to sit there and do it until they roll double 6s and get the performance they want, or until the filming budget runs out :) Or the actor goes insane. Admittedly not all directors are Stanley Kubrick, but viewers can dream and actors can wake up screaming...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:03:55 pm by MorleyDev »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or... you know... just hire competent actors in the initial casting...

But this WAS originally a low-mid budget, "I'm going to have to show my nipples, aren't I?" show... so... I guess that's a little more challenging.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Robb was a good actor. Boromir and Tywin too.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I don't get the Hounds sudden 'i only live for revenge' arc either.
This is a man that fucked off from the battle of black water because he didn't want to die for a little shit, and wanted to take the Stark girls with him to buy refuge in the north.
I don't remember him once saying he wanted to kill his brother, he always seemed scared of him.

What was the hounds relationship with the stark girls in the books anyway?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

He's always wanted to kill his brother, but he's also been terrified of him. The terror and residual trauma is pretty much what's kept him from just going for Gregor's throat all this time. He's wanted to fight back to avenge his younger self, but knew that doing so would end with one very dead doggy and one very jovial mountain.

Possibly his time spent traveling around, nearly dying, and facing off against the dead gave him the mental fortitude and perspective necessary to finally face off against his childhood fear? Dunno.

While he's also been very much a pragmatist who would otherwise approve of Gregor just getting squished by rubble, that would also mean that his one chance to redeem himself in his own eyes by standing up to the shadow that's covered him for his entire life would be taken away, and he would forever remain the dog that the mountain burned.

Can't really say, I haven't even seen the episode... but that does sorta make sense to me.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Yeah I don't get the Hounds sudden 'i only live for revenge' arc either.

bran warged everyones motivations into eachother this season for the lulz

cersei's hatred of smallfolk and lulz at burning shit --> to dany
arya's revenge obsession --> to hound
piece of destroyed winterfell boulder --> jon's brain (actually you can explain a lot of the characters this way)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

The Hound has stated that he wants to end things with his brother ever since season 7, when they did the whole "bring the wight to Cersei to show that the undead are real" thing.

It's just that he's only getting around to it now that said ice cold undead threat has been ended.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Yea, Clegane Bowl's been foreshadowed for a while.

Probably since Season One where he protected the Flower Knight from Greg.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Cleganebowl has always felt like that thing that everybody but me wanted to happen. That it was too obvious to actually be satisfying.

Plus, the last time we see what could be him in the books (implied but not outright stated),

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It'd honestly be a subtle, beautiful and wholly satisfying ending for the man if his story ended there and he's just left out of the remaining books.

But the show never really kept up the whole "The mask of The Hound vs The man who is Sandor Clegane" thing anyway. In the show I think it would have worked better if he'd been in a position where he could have killed Gregor, but had to abandon the fight to do something nobler. But hey, we got a cool Dark Souls looking fight scene I guess.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:21:14 am by MorleyDev »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Cleganebowl was a big let down for me. Pretty much EVERYTHING was a let down for me in the last episode. If any one scene worked, it worked because the actors acted, not because the characters had any real meaningful endings.

A lot of people got a lot of big ends that were dramatic, but they really felt shoehorned in, rushed, and just artificial in general. There always seems to be a lot of justifying when it comes to GoT (TV) plot stuff and I'm sick of it--the show hasn't put in the narrative work to make me believe 90% of the post-GRRM plot character arcs. They're serendipitous at best and amateurish at worst--these last several seasons have veered so dramatically from the heyday of the show (somewhere around season 4) that its almost like watching something else entirely, a bit of professional fan fiction so to speak.

Back on the topic of Cleganebowl, whether it happened or had Gregor gone the way of the book would have been fine, but THIS particular Cleganebowl was very dissatisfying and so nonsensical that the only reason why I had any suspension of disbelief while watching was because I still remember the Clegane brothers from the beginning of the show.

[big sigh] It's sloppy. I don't what else to say, it's frustratingly sloppy.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I foresee "dragonfire can't melt steel beams" memes in the future.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Dragonfire also apparently has an adjustable power knob on the side, judging by how it can go from selectively immolating one specific person to outright exploding stone structures and cutting through towers like a laser beam.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's like the worst video game / tabletop game ever.

"How much damage does dragonfire do?"

10d100.

*rolls*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-----
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I foresee "dragonfire can't melt steel beams" memes in the future.
I've seen atleast one so far

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly though...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 167