Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205350 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.
« Reply #2070 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:53 pm »

Besides, one does not need a blood heir to ensure continued peace after death. It certainly helps, but appointing someone not related to you also tends to work.

Although, it is part of the reason I don't want Jon hooking up with Dragon Ass. The Stark and Targaryen lines (in the series) would be brought to the edge of extinction. Starks would have a chance, though whether the feminist power of them would allow marriage is debatable.

As an aside, I don't think a Song of Ice and Fire means Jon and Daenerys. I think it means the wider battle (obviously) between summer and winter, dragons and white walkers, men vs. undead etc.

Beyond that, Jon himself is the Song, being of both the North (winter-rose Lyanna of Winterfell) and the South (fire and blood Targaryen Rhaegar.)

Or, even, Lyanna and Rhaegar could be the song themselves. Their courting/kidnapping and mating is the event which hovers behind the entire story.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:14:11 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2071 on: August 08, 2017, 12:12:17 pm »

Besides, one does not need a blood heir to ensure continued peace after death. It certainly helps, but appointing someone not related to you also tends to work.
True, but ASOIF and AGOT place massive value in blood. The legitimacy of Dany's whole claim rests on blood what with her having not even seen Westeros before, Robert's seed being strong is the whole thing that really spiced off the war of the five Kings and magic runs through magic bloodlines. Stark babbies warg and Targ babbies mak dragon

Although, it is part of the reason I don't want Jon hooking up with Dragon Ass. The Stark and Targaryen lines (in the series) would be brought to the edge of extinction. Starks would have a chance, though whether the feminist power of them would allow marriage is debatable.
nah it'd just be starktarg marrying targ

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: August 08, 2017, 12:50:22 pm »

In floats Gendry to the rescue! He and Jon marries, and Khaleesi invokes her right to First Night with them both and the combined virility of them both  impregnates her with quintuplets who all go on to continue their respective lines.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:04 pm »

True, but ASOIF and AGOT place massive value in blood. The legitimacy of Dany's whole claim rests on blood what with her having not even seen Westeros before, Robert's seed being strong is the whole thing that really spiced off the war of the five Kings and magic runs through magic bloodlines. Stark babbies warg and Targ babbies mak dragon

True on the magic front. Except most of the Kingdoms don't believe in it. As for Dany's claim resting on blood, certainly true. But someone with three dragons and a massive army would be in as strong a position as she is. Certainly the name helps somewhat, though it also detracts (Mad King Mania). Ultimately, it is strength of arms which the Westerosi favour. An appointed heir with suitable strategic and military might would soon make the other lords toe the line.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2074 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:17 pm »

True on the magic front. Except most of the Kingdoms don't believe in it. As for Dany's claim resting on blood, certainly true. But someone with three dragons and a massive army would be in as strong a position as she is. Certainly the name helps somewhat, though it also detracts (Mad King Mania). Ultimately, it is strength of arms which the Westerosi favour. An appointed heir with suitable strategic and military might would soon make the other lords toe the line.
Why do the Targaeryans do incest regularly, but taboo it for everyone else? It is because for everyone else it has no benefit. For the Targaeryans, it's fucking magic
Also I forgot that bit about how King's Blood is also used by maegi and rh'ollorians, so it seems that the Baratheons also have untapped power in their bloodline at the very least. If Targaeryan DNA has genuine magical or psychic powers or whatever, then it makes sense that the Targaeryans would try to keep their bloodline as pure as possible in order to preserve their power despite the eventual degeneration of their dynasty.

Basically harry potter tier plot

Although I like the idea that there is no magic in bloodlines and the Targaeryans just wanted to excuse incest

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: August 08, 2017, 07:29:46 pm »

My understanding is that it's not the Targaeryans who made it taboo, but that westerosi culture, especially the new gods, had it taboo already. Everyone just let it slide for the Targaeryans because they were in charge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2076 on: August 08, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »

My understanding is that it's not the Targaeryans who made it taboo, but that westerosi culture, especially the new gods, had it taboo already. Everyone just let it slide for the Targaeryans because they were in charge.
Could just be that it's owing to the Targaeryans being the descendants of foreign Valyrians with their own customs

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: August 08, 2017, 09:26:32 pm »

Yeah, as far as I know it was a Valyrian custom that the Targaryens' just kept going after the Conquest (Iirc Aegon the Conqueror was married to both his sisters). I don't think the other Valyrian houses kept doing it to the same extent, unless you count marrying into the Targaryen whenever the Targs weren't marrying their own. But then again the minor Valyrian houses didn't have any dragons.
Love, scriver~

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2078 on: August 09, 2017, 12:38:10 am »

Dany is infertile. Wether she will stay infertile is completly different matter.

Cersei might be fertile, I mean, why not? Joffrey 2.0 when? It will be hilarious, especially considering they might not know who's the father now.

Starks are pretty much dead - women don't really count, Jon's not a Stark, and Brandon... well, apart from the fact he's a fucking vegetable mentally, nobody is exactly sure if his dick still work. It might, but that's not a given.

Magic in Baratheon's blood probably derives from the fact that they are related to Targaryens as well, and that's actually why Robert was on the throne - they based his claim on the fact Targaryens married (they did not, in fact, only intermarry, there was a whole lot marrying outside the Targaryen line and it wasn't really weird, remember Elia Martell?) with them some time ago.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: August 09, 2017, 03:19:33 am »

Starks are pretty much dead - women don't really count, Jon's not a Stark, and Brandon... well, apart from the fact he's a fucking vegetable mentally, nobody is exactly sure if his dick still work. It might, but that's not a given.

Rickon.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:21:21 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: August 09, 2017, 03:56:52 am »

Rickon.

Wasn't he shot down at the battle of the bastards?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2081 on: August 09, 2017, 04:27:53 am »

SEEEEEERPEEEEEEEENTINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dickon?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:31:00 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: August 09, 2017, 04:37:15 am »

Rickon.

Wasn't he shot down at the battle of the bastards?

Ohw yeah, I keep thinking of the book.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: August 09, 2017, 06:07:49 am »

Rickon is still alive in the books. However, with the book plot seemingly starting to focus on him as a favourite for the King in the North, it's likely he'll die so Jon can get it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 167