Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How to be a Human  (Read 4048 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: How to be a Human
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 02:26:25 pm »

Guys, sorry in advance, tomorrow's post will be late. I had a crazy busy day today and didn't have the time I thought I would to get everything set up, because I have a job interview in the morning and that kinda took priority. But once I'm home from that I'll get new ones uploaded, this is a promise that I'm making to you all!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 02:27:34 pm »

That's okay. You don't have to be Howard Tayler.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 03:13:42 am »

Firstly, it seems I'm pretty bad at being human, and proud of it. 8)

Secondly, I was surprised that I found some of your comics offensive.  I'm usually not easily offended, so I guess I just have a bad mood today.  It's just that there are many people that don't have the luxuries of sleeping in a bed and using a toilet, so, stating that they are "less human" seems pretty bad to me.  :-\
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 07:22:53 am »

The point of the comic is not remotely about how to be "human." It's a commentary on Western society and civilization. It's not "human" to ignore homeless beggars either - it's just a thing that I see people doing all the time. Just like being religious. Notice, the title isn't "how to be human" it's "how to be a human," as in, an example of these strange animals that wander around so much of the world.

In fact, if you look elsewhere in the world, away from the Western perspective, almost none of these comics is applicable. Ask an impoverished mother of 11 in Ghana how often she spends time worrying about whether she's the only one who worries (anxiety issues) or wondering if she's made the right choices in life, or dipping her foods into other foods. She'd probably slap you right across the face for being such an idiot. She has better things to do and not enough time or money to do any of them.

The idea behind this comic is that it's a guide put together by an alien anthropologist studying humans in America or Western Europe. A total outsider with no background or contextual information is dropped into this society, and these little snapshots represent what it sees.

I've considered putting some kind of disclaimer on the site explaining this, but then the easiest way to destroy humor is to explain it. Partly I feel like those who get it, will get it, and those who don't, will not likely enjoy the comic even with an explanation about why they shouldn't be offended. I feel like it loses something if it needs to be explained.

But how do others feel about this? Maybe I'm mistaken in my assumptions. Would it be valuable to make a note somewhere in the title that this is the observations of a non-human observer in Western society? I really kind of prefer the feel of the site without that blatant context, just as simple as I can possibly make it. Adding extra explanations like that put a frame around it that I would rather do without. But if there is a very high likelihood of people taking these comics the wrong way, I will consider adding something explanatory.

In any case, new one should be up in a few hours. Got a lot of other things to take care of at home before I can sit down and get it all together.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:20:03 am by Sappho »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 07:38:38 am »

I think it is wonderful, in a kind of deep, subtle, parody kind of way.
The subjects of these comics tend to be the kind of things that we can easily relate to being human, the kind of things that we sit back and chuckle and say 'Oh yes, I do that and everybody I know does that!' but in both a geographical and historical context, it isn't really intrinsically human, but then sometimes it is. Doesn't everybody worry that they are the only one worried? Doesn't everybody breath? Doesn't everybody believe in god? Doesn't everybody eat foods the same way? Doesn't everybody sleep in a bed?

It makes you think about what actually is human, and what only exists in our little culture bubble, and everything in the grey line in between.

Am I over analyzing this, perhaps more than intended? Fuck yea I am! Dead with it.  8)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:35 am »

If people are allowed to choose, they readily opt to sleep on something soft and clean rather than the dirt. People readily choose to allocate a place that functions as a toilet rather than to shit where they eat. If people lack these things, it's still fundamentally human to want them. It's far more dehumanising to think there are people that actually enjoy sleeping in filth, than to assume that people would rather opt for beds or to "recline" if possible. Any objections to illustrating these great truths are quite possibly rooted in some psychological mechanism to help cope with the number of "beggars we pretended not to see" today. ;)

No need to be a pushover to criticism. Keep on it.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 08:58:38 am »

I love you guys so much.

And we love you too! Always good to have a community member willing to share creative ideas for entertainment purposes

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 09:22:12 am »

I've made a small change - instead of "a guide" I've replaced the site subtitle with "field notes." I think I'll leave it at that for now.

And just to be clear, I'm not averse to criticism. As long as it's polite I welcome critique on my work. Not that I promise to change just because of another person's opinion, but I'm open to hearing alternative points of view even if they don't coincide with my own. : )

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:49 pm »

Double post justification: new comic is up! And more are queued for the next few days. I hope you all enjoy!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 07:41:50 pm »

I love the most recent pairing of text and image.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:30 am »

Thank you. I'm going to try to do more like that. Also, apologies in advance to all for today's strip (up in a few hours), but when you get an idea, you gotta just write that sucker down, yanno?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 11:28:13 pm »

Eat foods that are painful?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:16 pm »

Like Hot Jalapanos, Sour Suckers, and bitter bugs?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »

Like Hot Jalapanos, Sour Suckers, and bitter bugs?
Sappho had a recent experience with Habanero peppers, if the food thread is anything to be believed.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 12:08:46 am »

Not everyone enjoys that, though. But I suppose not everyone keeps known food thieves in their houses either.

Your dog is very cute, by the way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4