Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Question about the Monarch  (Read 4788 times)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
Question about the Monarch
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:23:42 am »

A citizen of my fortress just had baby boy and that brings my total population to 140, so now I will probably get a monarch for my first time.
I read in the wiki that the Outpost liaison stops visiting once the monarch arrives, so does that mean I can't get into trade agreements anymore?? My fortress depends on the high quality leather, various ores and cut gems which I always import. I'll miss all that :(
Besides what all is written in the wiki about it...what are the other effects of the monarch arriving??(eg: what happens to the baron,does this mean more invasions or something)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the Monarch
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:27:34 am »

Basically all that happens is that you can't make trade agreements and you get a new noble. Other then that nothing really happens (though the monarch does come with a group of legendary fighting dwarves that you can put to good use).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:59 am »

The legendary fighters are fun, but he may also come with some number of mostly-useless nobility ("Lords") who can nevertheless make mandates and demands. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43:14 am »

The legendary fighters are fun, but he may also come with some number of mostly-useless nobility ("Lords") who can nevertheless make mandates and demands.
Are you playing with any mods? I've never seen any "lords" in vanilla (other then hammerlords, macelords, etc.).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:34 am »

Yeah but it's like, *every* mod :P
Are there really not lords in vanilla?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:38 am »

Yeah but it's like, *every* mod :P
Are there really not lords in vanilla?
Not that I know of. All the nobles in vanilla are on the nobles page on the wiki (except for some of those randomly generated goblin/elven ones and whatnot) and lords aren't there either, so I'd stand by my statement.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:52 am »

Fair enough.  They're not in the entity raws of any of the mods I play either, so ???
I'm curious, but not enough to play a vanilla fortress that long just as the experiment :D

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:22 am »

A citizen of my fortress just had baby boy and that brings my total population to 140, so now I will probably get a monarch for my first time.
You can delay the monarch's arrival indefinitely by not fulfilling the other requirements (e.g., not offering anything but only trading)

I read in the wiki that the Outpost liaison stops visiting once the monarch arrives, so does that mean I can't get into trade agreements anymore?? My fortress depends on the high quality leather, various ores and cut gems which I always import. I'll miss all that :(
Correct, you can't enter into trade agreements. However, I think you'll find that merchants bring a lot of leather anyway. If you need more, you can use the "default" trick. The idea here is that if you have less than a certain amount of clothing/cloth/leather, traders will bring a bunch more cloth and leather next time they come. (Keep in mind that this cuts into the weight limit, so many people like to try to avoid this in order to get more other stuff). If you want to produce leather yourself, I find that geese are ideal.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need cut gems? Room value increasing?

Besides what all is written in the wiki about it...what are the other effects of the monarch arriving??(eg: what happens to the baron,does this mean more invasions or something)
Ah, that's an interesting quirk. The baron/count/duke stays. However, since said person is promoted to the next level by the outpost liaison, and the liaison stops coming when the king arrives, promotions stop. So if the king arrived right now, your baron would never become a duke. Another weird thing about how the king interacts with other nobles: when a human diplomat arrives, he'll normally want to talk to the king. However, I just recently discovered that if the king is unavailable (in this case, the king was locked away inaccessibly due to being a vampire), the diplomat will settle for talking to a duke. Not sure if this applies to other causes of the king being unavailable.

Keep in mind that the king wants some very fancy rooms. You may want to prepare them ahead of time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:12:15 am by zzedar »
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:31:23 am »

Correct, you can't enter into trade agreements. However, I think you'll find that merchants bring a lot of leather anyway.
Just out of curiosity, why do you need cut gems? Room value increasing?
Ah, that's an interesting quirk. The baron/count/duke stays. However, since said person is promoted to the next level by the outpost liaison, and the liaison stops coming when the king arrives, promotions stop. So if the king arrived right now, your baron would never become a duke. Another weird thing about how the king interacts with other nobles: when a human diplomat arrives, he'll normally want to talk to the king. However, I just recently discovered that if the king is unavailable (in this case, the king was locked away inaccessibly due to being a vampire), the diplomat will settle for talking to a duke. Not sure if this applies to other causes of the king being unavailable.
I said high quality leather, with an agreement I can always ask for the best leather (elephant, rhino etc they seem to have the highest value) so now looks like I won't be able to do that anymore and have to use normal leather  :(  because I really need to see a monarch for the first time. Once you carve out your fortress, mining rate drops so I need a good supply of gems too(again here also I ask for high quality ones like diamonds or star rubies). I need to keep my gem setter busy, decorating the nobles furniture and in general remaining furniture.
Hmm so my duke stays so looks like I need to make an EVEN better room for the soon to arrive monarch.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »

It's highly unlikely that a duke's rooms would satisfy a king anyway, at least without significant alterations. Completely apart from the extra furniture requirements, a king needs rooms four times as valuable as a duke does. (A king requires that the bedroom, throne room, tomb, and dining room each have a minimum value of 10,000; a duke only needs 2,500 for each). Monarch room value is a good use for any artifacts you may have lying around. If you have trouble meeting the requirements, check out Kipi's excellent work on the subject, as well as my own minor refinement to said work.

You could always just do some more mining; you don't have to stop once your fortress is carved out (in fact, the best gems are usually found deeper, so it's unlikely that you'd find them in normal carving-out activities anyway). The wiki has an excellent table showing what gems are found where. Shouldn't be too hard to find some valuable gems -- and of course less valuable gems are useful for training up your jewelers until they're good enough to be trusted with the more valuable ones.

For high-quality locally-produced fabric, there's always GCS silk, though that's not without risk (and only has VM4 as opposed to the VM5 of elephant and rhino leather)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:20:21 am by zzedar »

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:42:33 pm »

thanks for your links...well in my fortress there is hardly any valuable gems..I just got purple spinel(no kimberite or fancy stuff)...seriously thats the best I got...my dukes rooms are at their best with artifacts and all,so I have to construct his rooms instead of the monarch, the monarch can take his.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:21:58 pm »

What stone layers are there? (Kimberlite, incidentally, isn't a gem at all, it's just a kind of stone where diamonds are found)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:19 pm »

yea I meant that..no kimberlite no diamonds..well it started out with mudstone, then schist then slate and mostly gabbro till the end..

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 02:58:55 pm »

Question about the monarch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sorry.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »

I've often had kimberlite but still no diamonds, but there are usually at least a few more valuable gems hidden around
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2 3