Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question about the Monarch  (Read 4777 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the Monarch
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 03:24:10 pm »

i think the purpose of the monarch is to purposely incite rebellion from the player and make the player think of ways to get him killed, before carrying out his execution. There is a reason menacing spikes have such high value, its to force players to place it in the monarch's room to increase the value of the room to the monarch's liking. Mechanisms are also worth quite alot and would make fine additions to the monarchs room as well, particularly if attached to the spikes in the room and to a repeater.

5 mandates is just crazy, heck i find dealing with the mayor's one mandate to be alot of fun because i tend to leave mandates to the last minute to limit the amount of mandates they make (if you complete it, they'll just make a new one). And sometimes i forget about it and my dwarves end up beaten by my unquestionable weak captain of the guard with his featherwood training swords. Very flimsy dwarves may still get hurt occasionally so its annoying.

On the plus side it'll be like a dwarfy version of the french revolution, hopefully there is not a negative consequence of killing the monarch.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »

yea I meant that..no kimberlite no diamonds..well it started out with mudstone, then schist then slate and mostly gabbro till the end..
Well, gabbro is where kimberlite is found... eh, just do some exploratory mining until you find something.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »

Oh, one other thing: though of course diamonds are more valuable than purple spinel, it's only by a factor of 3; three purple spinels are just as valuable as most diamonds, and two spinels are as valuable as a faint yellow diamond (assuming the same quality of worksmanship).

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »

You can also definitely mass-produce glass "gems" if you have a single tile of sand anywhere on your embark.

I recall the existence of an odd soil transmutation bug, too, so you can always cave-in a few solid z-levels into the caverns in an attempt to get the game to generate sand for you if you have none.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 12:11:41 am »

i think the purpose of the monarch is to purposely incite rebellion from the player and make the player think of ways to get him killed, before carrying out his execution.
On the plus side it'll be like a dwarfy version of the french revolution, hopefully there is not a negative consequence of killing the monarch.
Well I better start searching for gems, So you are implying that suppose I kill my monarch, nothing bad happens?no one succeeds him or something?

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 02:28:03 am »

If there's an eligible successor (and almost anybody is eligible), a new king will take over upon the death of the old.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 05:42:26 am »

In the current version, royal succession doesn't work. If you kill a monarch, that's the end of the monarchy. There'll be no heir and the spouse will revert to their normal profession.
Diplomats (only human, because elves don't have diplomats right now and outpost liaison visits cease once you become the mountainhome) will meet with your mayor or landed noble.

The monarch will only come if you fulfil the population and wealth requirements _and_ give the needed tribute to the dwarven caravan. If you don't really want the potential hassle of a monarch (mandates, loss of liaison) you can simply avoid becoming the mountainhome by never giving gifts to the dwarven traders.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 08:21:37 am »

what if you want to be the capital of your civilization because your fort is truly the greatest of the world? and couldnt care less about the loss of the liason because your fort is completely self sufficient without crappy imported goods? but still do not want annoying mandates? Revolution time!

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 08:47:17 am »

Question about the monarch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not sorry.
Err is that how your monarch looked like?

Well I never got any mandates till now since my duke has no preferences for any items or furniture just the remaining stuff colour,shape,creature,food etc etc. So now this new monarch is going to be a pain...

what if you want to be the capital of your civilization because your fort is truly the greatest of the world? and couldnt care less about the loss of the liason because your fort is completely self sufficient without crappy imported goods? but still do not want annoying mandates? Revolution time!

I never thought about it that way, YEA!! I'm the frigging capital I don't need those crappy imports!!The monarch has established my fort as his seat of power!!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 08:54:24 am »

Err is that how your monarch looked like?

Well I never got any mandates till now since my duke has no preferences for any items or furniture just the remaining stuff colour,shape,creature,food etc etc. So now this new monarch is going to be a pain...

wait what? if a dwarve has no preference for items, then they'll make no mandates? what if they have a preference for a particular material, but no items, would they still mandate items made from that material?

asking this cuz my original mayor (elected by my dwarves) only had material preferences. The current mayor was chosen by me, and rechosen after each of his terms for his liking of barrels (that i make anyway), but a mayor with no mandates would be awesome.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:01 am »

wait what? if a dwarve has no preference for items, then they'll make no mandates? what if they have a preference for a particular material, but no items, would they still mandate items made from that material?

asking this cuz my original mayor (elected by my dwarves) only had material preferences. The current mayor was chosen by me, and rechosen after each of his terms for his liking of barrels (that i make anyway), but a mayor with no mandates would be awesome.

Just opened my game, here are my duke's actual preferences : pitchblende,iron,tsavorite,hyena tooth,opah bone,rope reed fabric and colour teal. While he was the best choice for mayor, I got no mandates at all...but now just like you said, there are a few better candidates for mayor  now who replace him and make their mandates. But I put him back so in short, just from him I get NO mandates whatsoever sometimes it's the others who replace him who do it.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 08:27:54 am »

Just out of curiosity, why do you need cut gems? Room value increasing?

Back to “why gems?”  Because gem windows flash pretty colors, they don’t affect FPS, and my fortress is a psychedelic kaleidoscope on every z level.    :) Other than that, they serve no purpose as there are easier and more efficient ways to raise wealth/happiness.  I never give gifts to the dwarven caravan yet overpay them lots so each fall I get four to six wagons of cut gems.  Saves a lot of mining time and lets me line each (wide) hallway with the Vegas lightshow.  Vanilla DF = lots of colored gem options each fall.  Masterwork saves FPS by simplifying but drops the gem delivery so you either have to mine your own or cheat.

RE: the Monarch: I’ve never seen the need for one.  I can pick my first (nice) noble and stick with him/her regardless of population IF there are no gifts to the dwarves.  Who needs a monarch?  Until Toady codes in a Mountainhome eminent domain, I’ll do without one and keep the Autumn Wish List.

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 05:07:13 am »

RE: the Monarch: I’ve never seen the need for one.  I can pick my first (nice) noble and stick with him/her regardless of population IF there are no gifts to the dwarves.  Who needs a monarch?  Until Toady codes in a Mountainhome eminent domain, I’ll do without one and keep the Autumn Wish List.
I think I agree with you, I'm never going to get this monarch again,NOT worth it. I just got him with his royal guards and guess what He has only 3 years more to live. Wiki says that happens though.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 01:32:35 am »

What's wrong with only 3 years to live? He'll be replaced when he dies, so you'll still have a king. Of course, you'll have to build another mausoleum, but the bedroom and throne room are reusable.

I've always thought the nobles were satires on the players. Look at the things they do: they demand absurdly over-elaborate buildings (just like we do), they issue mandates for very difficult-to-make and useless objects (just like we do), they have dorfs punished or killed for no good reason (just like we do)... the player is basically the highest-ranking noble, with all the noble tendencies turned up to eleven.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 07:58:46 am »

I do agree with him on that.
I've always thought the nobles were satires on the players. Look at the things they do: they demand absurdly over-elaborate buildings (just like we do), they issue mandates for very difficult-to-make and useless objects (just like we do), they have dorfs punished or killed for no good reason (just like we do)... the player is basically the highest-ranking noble, with all the noble tendencies turned up to eleven.
Well that's true, but right now it doesn't seem to do much (the monarch thing), just end up losing more(no trade agreements),and right now I usually play without appointing any hammerer so I generally don't follow the law thing(until something new gets implemented )so I find using this monarch thing pointless, Well atleast I've seen it in my fortress once.
Pages: 1 [2] 3