Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191127 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.50
« Reply #675 on: August 23, 2013, 07:32:26 am »

((@H-Man: We've already begun the journey...!))

Lady Foxglove slows Lord Magnificent to a trot alongside Gervedder and his humble mule.

"Messenger. Tell me how this plan strikes you.

I say we push on until Bletchley-stop here at Megden for a hearty lunch-and, we'll arrive there very late at night. It's going to be a long ride. A nights rest in an Inn there I was recommended, and then we move on toward the mountain the following morning. From the information I gathered, there's little danger here, on Lord Nirila's side of the river-but when we approach the mountain, we'll need to move slower and more cautiously, however. Assuming we're not dead and spitted, we'll arrive back in Bletchley in a week or so with our prize hopefully in hand.

Does this plan sound all agreeable? I can trust your judgement, at least-for a Messenger, you're quite sharp."
She says, offering a compliment somewhat grudgingly.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:58 am »

"Sounds reasonable, though I'd prefer we not stop at Megden at all, so that we may arrive at Bletchley slightly earlier. Hunger may serve to drive us onward, and I have brought some rations along in the event that it does not."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 23, 2013, 08:06:47 am »

"I suppose we should avoid distractions for once. You've been an adventurer long enough, It seems almost every town has a problem for you to fix if you stick around long enough-cultists, giant rats, swooping Dragons..." Lady Foxglove rolls her eyes in a practiced motion.

She looks over and down at Gervedder, thinking of something to say. She was really growing quite fond of him-as a potential friend, anyway. Which was odd, since Lady Foxglove had few true friends, not any that lasted longer than a night. She was not necessarily one to shun extroversion, but it always seemed to her it brought her little real joy, or anything of substance.

"But, it's going to be a long trip, anyway. Tell me something about your past, messenger-you still owe me for shooting me in the foot with your crossbow. You were merely a human letter opener before, I assume, but you must have had exciting adventures on your many travels. Care to recall any to pass the time?"

Action: Onward to Mount Kuriel! No distractions! Except for RP!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:55 am »

Tackov grumbled as he urged his donkey forward.  Judging by what the previous owner had said, this beast's name was You Bastard- and Tackov could see why.  Just his luck that he gets a "cussin' donkey" as a mount.

At least he wasn't being dragged around in a barrel.

Onward!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 23, 2013, 08:34:31 am »

"Guys? We will get ambushed in the night. Are you okay with that? Hah, silly me. Ambushes mean loot. Of course you're okay with that."

Sally forth!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:48 am »

"But, it's going to be a long trip, anyway. Tell me something about your past, messenger-you still owe me for shooting me in the foot with your crossbow. You were merely a human letter opener before, I assume, but you must have had exciting adventures on your many travels. Care to recall any to pass the time?"

"To be perfectly honest, I have hardly opened any letters in my time. That's job of someone who delivers letters. Instead, I largely deliver messages orally, as many see this as a more trustworthy form of communication. In fact, baron Uldenago, who I served for more than five years, had not even learned how to write in all his time adventuring and slaying dragons and obtaining treasure to fund a rather financially unfeasible barony. I think he distrusted writing on sheer principle, possibly because it reminded him too much of magic scrolls, which he had had a great number of terrible experiences with."

"Now, since my lord distrusted writing as much as he did, he always had me memorize and carry messages. This would be all fine and good, but he had heard that an official message from a lord needs to bear his seal. He, being a great fan of tradition, went with the idea, albeit with certain mild alterations. Instead of stamping a message with the seal, he stamped me. And when I carried a message to a lord, they were to remove the previous seal and add a new one, to prove that the message had been received. And I had to do such message runs several times a week as well, as my lord's barony, as interestingly run as it was, required at least three moderately profitable adventures a month to keep running smoothly, as the baron opposed taxation of peasants and merchants on general principle. He was quite the eccentric, you see, though doubtlessly an extremely efficient one. I remember in my second year when he discovered a portal into some sort of strange plane of fire and shadows - disappeared for two weeks, he did. That was probably the only actual event one could call a semi-proper 'adventure' I experienced in all that time, though it was altogether underwhelming for most parties involved. I could certainly tell you about it, but it mostly involved bitter disappointment and not very much adventure at all, to be perfectly honest."

"Guys? We will get ambushed in the night. Are you okay with that? Hah, silly me. Ambushes mean loot. Of course you're okay with that."

"That is a possibility, but I doubt anyone unstable enough to ambush a pack of screaming fanatics followed by a rather... visually impressive giant spider would not be equally comfortable doing so during the day."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 23, 2013, 09:28:41 am »

"I'm sure you are merely too humble to properly embellish the tale. But, pray tell continue." Lady Foxglove says, inclining her free hand.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 23, 2013, 10:23:53 am »

"I'm sure you are merely too humble to properly embellish the tale. But, pray tell continue." Lady Foxglove says, inclining her free hand.

"There is little to embellish, really. Baron Uldenago went into this portal to some nether realm that some wizard produced for him, placed crystals on the ground and everything. It looked fairly menacing, all evil whispers and everything, so the baron didn't really need encouragement to head right in. After all, it was most likely a plane of death and evil, and those are known to have amazing amounts of unusual objects worth pilfering within them. He disappeared into it along with his entourage, and the barony all waited with mild anticipation at what the man might bring back from his journeys. When he failed to emerge from the portal after two weeks, his wife, a rather peevish sorceress if I've ever met one, asked me to deliver a message to him that he really should be coming home already."

Gervedder sighs.

"Naturally, she did not forget the seal. But into the portal it was with me, and I ran in, rationalizing that I probably could run out if I so desired. A bit of experimentation proved this to indeed be true, fortunately, so I forged on ahead into the alien realm."

"Now, our first impressions had certainly been correct, and there were indeed demons and shadows aplenty within the place, and no shortage of small fires and burning forests. It smelled rather awful, to be honest. I was expecting to be accosted by some of the native inhabitants, but this did not prove to be the case. I found out shortly afterwards that this was because they had been rather thoroughly brutalized and pillaged. Repeatedly, actually, and to such a degree that when baron Uldenago came to visit, there really wasn't anything around aside from some flaming basalt to steal. You see, the problem was that this demonic realm was not only quite a bit smaller than most, it was also unusually... close, yes, close would be the best word, to the material world. As such, they were no strangers to extraplanar invasions and such. In fact, our fair baron was actually the fourth to arrive that planar cycle, as a particularly skinny and malnourished demonic creature related to me when I chased it down along the shore of a smoldering lake. It also asked me if I would be so kind as to suggest that he leave, as he and his entourage did not believe that there could truly be no treasure in a demonic lair. When I said that I had a message to that effect, they were kind enough to point me in the right direction."

"Long story short, I did reach baron Uldenago, who, as the demon said, was busying himself with the destruction of some shanties that the demons had built to protect themselves from the acid rain or something during the dark cycles, and he seemed rather angry. Still, once I mentioned that I had a message from his wife, he mellowed out mildly, and I was, through matrimonial authority, able to convince him to leave. He was tremendously disappointed, as the only treasure he had obtained was a hammer, not even a very good one by his standards, from an impetuous knight he beat in an arm wrestling contest, and the demons couldn't give him any no matter how much he eviscerated and beat them - and he had tried, very imaginatively from what the demons told me, for over two weeks. All in all, no real good came of the expedition, and we all returned to our respective homes. And then things returned to normal, although there was a bit of a problem due to the mild money problems this misadventure caused. The castle suffered a major grain shortage in the winter, and I hear some of the stewards descended into cannibalism, though I wasn't around for that myself, luckily enough."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 23, 2013, 05:44:20 pm »

Onward!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 26, 2013, 04:03:35 am »

Lady Foxglove listened to the story.

"My old...friend...Arach told me similar things. People don't seem to understand Demon-worlds aren't just treasure filled chests they can loot at will-they're entirely full of life, and strangeness and wonders, good and bad-as with our own. And they do tend to be miserable places, where only strong rulers prosper...not too different from our World, in that regard. Then again, Demons tend to be quite inscrutable to our own Humanity, of no fault for their own. Arach, for example, used to send me exceedingly lethal gifts as a show of affection. In his world, surviving the Demons gift being given showed a will and canniness to survive that indicated attractiveness in a potential mate-ergo, a test to determine worth, rather than a trinket to curry favor. I can't judge them for their standards, really.

A pity your Lord went broke. There's a reason I travel lightly, myself. A could have brought a whole legion of Sellsword knights through the portal with us, surely, but they would have eaten my entire treasury in a week, then I'd be kidnapped and held for ransom. Sellswords don't tend to think things through, you know-my family would be more likely to pay them more to kill me than to release me. In fact, they're probably rubbing their greedy hands together at this moment, imagining I'm digesting in the belly of a Dragon or summat.

In any case, you've paid off a bit of my poor foot, messenger. Thank you for the tale.

I like to talk, so I'll let you ask me a question now if you like. I will answer to the best of my ability, in truth."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:35:23 am by Dwarmin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:23 am »

The messenger considers what question to ask the lady. It takes but a moment to figure one out.

"Very well, I have one question - who are you?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 26, 2013, 05:32:14 am »

"I see you've gone for the philosophical, over the metaphysical. A bit of a scattershot of a question, isn't it...full of the potential to confess ones many sins." Lady Foxglove muses, stroking her horses mane.

"I suppose I'm Lady Foxglove Vainglorious the III on the surface. A moderately rich, bored young woman with a taste for adventure and excitement in her blood, and a desire for the same passions in those she chooses to know. I follow the edicts of Ravena and am considered a Ravenhaired Crusader in her order. I consider myself better than most people I meet, because they're commoners or they're fools. Though I consider the second sin worse than the first.

Deeper down, one finds I have spent most of my life without any strong ties-to my family, to any person-even my Religion disdains attachment, even to the Goddess herself. I prefer action to melancholy on that subject, though. I do not often engage in self reflection, preferring the simplicity of the surface image to that which lies underneath. I usually prefer to travel alone, or in the company of hired help, though circumstances are different now and perhaps I have come to realize what  was missing-even Medha has her, erm...charms...

I am a compulsive liar and a cheat-though not to you, Messenger. I enjoy money, and all it's trappings-though not as much as I used to. I do not consider myself a philanderer, but I enjoy many relationships with many men and feel little shame about it. Though I admit a certain bit of emptiness in my soul, due to it. I have killed, naturally-in anger, in self defense. I once killed a man I truly loved, perhaps the only one, because he was in great pain and I was the blade to spare him. I once badly injured a woman in a duel over a petty insult she harped upon the size of my breasts. I do not regret the wounding, so much as the fact I lost control of my temper. If I can be said to fear anything, aside from death and disfigurement, it's the loss of my free will-due to emotions, or enchantments.

I have come to realize for all my faults, I love the world and it's many beautiful things, myself included, and I'd prefer a quick death over the infinitely slower one we'd earn by failing our mission here. I know I am not a Hero. I do not do these things because I consider myself a good person, but because they must be done-and I trust no one but myself, to do them. Even you, messenger, I must believe harbor hidden flaws that may require my strength to help you overcome. The height of vanity to believe thus so, but what else do I have to go by? I've had few friends and know few people very well. I think, Messenger, you are the first person I can truly call a friend in a long while. And part of me wonders if you feel somewhat the same, or perhaps pity or dislike me in return.

Is it desperation, or merely saccharine that drives me to believe so-after such a short time knowing you? I regret to say, I do not know."

Lady Foxglove falls silent and looks to the horizon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 26, 2013, 06:25:53 am »

"Quite the expansive answer, I must say," the messenger says, looking at the lady.

He wonders whether she is his friend, really. What do you even call a friend? That's a question in itself, and one that has no simple answer. Thinking about it for a moment, he comes to an answer.

"As for the thoughts of friendship, I can say I know you and consider you certainly worth knowing and speaking to. And also worthy of a not insignificant amount of trust. Would you consider that a friend?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 26, 2013, 06:35:05 am »

"I would. One can buy loyalty, but one must earn trust. If I earned yours I would not consider it insignificant." She remarks.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.51
« Reply #689 on: August 27, 2013, 09:26:48 am »

Turn Fifty One

The party continue onward, sallying forth into the late afternoon towards Mount Kuriel, leaving Megden and the sun behind them. They’re on the decent dirt road and still a couple of hours from Bletchley when Medha pushes through the quietening crowd up to where Foxglove and Gervedder are riding, still in conversation.

She walks her bonespider alongside the horse and mule; both still jitterish in spite of the whole day riding in the company of the monstrosity.

”Say… I don’t know if you’d noticed. About a hundred metres left of us, for a good few minutes. Some kind of lights, moving in parallel. Or am I just really that tired?”

They both peer to the north, and Medha points, expertly riding her bonespider with one hand holding onto the skull’s earhole.

There seem to be pale discs floating five or six feet off the ground, disappearing in and out of the gaps of sparse hedge lining the side of the road as the riders move along it – maybe half a dozen pairs, each pair close to each other, pale, eerie, and egg-shaped.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:39:51 am by lawastooshort »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 118