Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191340 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.21
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26:45 am »

Bukkar holds up one finger.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2013, 10:36:09 am »

”Ha! White wine… I certainly do, milady, I certainly do, and you can come and enjoy one with me this evening, if you’d do me the honour. As you say, it’s not often one comes upon such… quality. I shall have you drawn up a letter of passage and see what we can get you for a map. There’s merchants head that way sometimes for mining, so it’s not easy to get particularly lost. Anyway – I think that might be enough business for now? I have some things to do, you know, business affairs, that sort of thing: one of the down sides of having such power is having to exercise the blasted thing. And where are you staying? I can get a servant to accommodate you in the castle, if you’d wish… I’m not sure I can offer the same for your… followers though, I’ll have a clerk enquire.”

((Hahahah, a map! Very good. If it’s not photoshopping flames and t rex heads then artistically I can’t do it. But I’ll do the next best thing and pretend you have a map. I have a mental map, of course. Or I could do one with lightning representing rivers, flames representing forests, and dinosaur heads representing the mountains))

"I would like that very much. Quality should indeed be appreciated, for are not all things fleeting?

Oh, and I've arranged some accommodations elsewhere for the rest of my group, not as good as yours, but what could be? We need not burden your charity...that being said, if you do have some empty rooms in the keep, I'd gladly take them for my...servants, if they wish them and you can provide. It's of little matter to me, though, either way.

I think I will enjoy the hospitality of your home though, since you do me the honor. Though, I can only stay the night, and leave the coming morn. Fleeting, fleeting is all, as I said.

In any case! Thank for the pleasure of your audience and your time, Lord Nirila-I shall not hold you here any longer. You and I should have plenty enough time to ourselves later."
She said, with a smile and a small incline of her head.

((I don't really expect you to have photoshop fu. I know I don't lol
Just need an IC idea of what direction to go in, and maybe cool places you want to point out for us. :P ))
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:39:26 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 29, 2013, 11:20:53 am »

"Yes, I'll have a drink for my friend here. He's got a bit of a habit."

Keep up the intoxication of Toad-Bukkar, holding up the tankard if he can't by himself. Look for anyone that looks a tad drunk, but not drunk enough to be unable to provide good info. Examine said person.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.22
« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2013, 04:49:30 am »

Turn Twenty Two

Hunt for a source of money.

Whiz ignores his comrades setting off in search of seediness and instead wanders off down a side street looking for a source of money. He finds a likely looking place and ambles in and-

”GET DOWN! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND YOU FECKIN’ EEJIT! THIS IS A FECKIN’ ROBBERY!”

The bank’s half dozen customers are lying on the floor; three men with crossbows and wearing stockings over their heads appear to be holding it up.

It appears they’d quite like Whiz to lie down on the floor as well.

Keep up the intoxication of Toad-Bukkar, holding up the tankard if he can't by himself. Look for anyone that looks a tad drunk, but not drunk enough to be unable to provide good info. Examine said person.

Bukkar holds up one finger.

"Yes, I'll have a drink for my friend here. He's got a bit of a habit."

”One pint of m- wait… Janet?!? What do the toads normally ‘ave, love, bitter or mild?”

Leaving Toad-Bukkar on the bar with Tackov to stand guard over him, Gervedder tries to discreetly search the pub’s customers for someone who looks only a little drunk.

He comes back to the bar in despair.

Every single person in the bar is totally wasted…

Gervedder looks at the clock above the barman’s head.

Four pm.

"So, your assistance is most greatly accepted...might you also provide some maps of the local area, as well? It'd be nice not to have to rely on the local...ahem, bumpkins...for directions."

Not long after Lady Foxglove is shown to her quarters, there is a knock on the door followed, at Lady Foxglove’s invitation, by a well-worn looking soldier with a servant carrying a large map and a tray of drinks and snacks such as a lady of quality might eat on a sunny but cool afternoon.

The soldier, a lieutenant of long service in Nirila’s standing forces named Engle Davies, is here to give Lady Foxglove an idea of the surrounding area and the route to Mount Kuriel.

Everything between the mountain range of Durial to the east and the river of Immor, whose east bank we lie upon, belongs to Lord Nirila. His Lordship has some claim to lands on the west bank, or at least we raid them from time to time: they are not settled but rather lived in or visited by horse-borne nomads – a savage people.

Between the town of Nirila and the mountains is a wide and fertile plain. If we did not control trade passing along the Immor then the plain’s fruits themselves would leave us comfortably well off.

There is nothing as imposing as Nirila or Lord Nirila’s castle between here and the mountains – Megden is the next biggest settlement of note; it’s a market town though the townfolk here like to call it a mere village. It lies about half a day’s ride from here.

Bletchley is the next decent sized village along the way to the mountains. One can trade, eat, sleep well enough here. It’s probably another half day’s ride. A long half day.

There are smaller villages between Bletchley and Wretched, which is the name of the stockaded village nearest the mountains: stockaded because only a day’s ride away (both from Bletchley and from the mountains), and so more than occasionally the area is the target of raids from the mountains – kobolds, worse… There is usually an armed presence there, more to encourage the merchants and miners who head into the mountains than to protect the peasants, it has to be admitted.

And then – nothing. The wilderness of the mountains, broken only by an increasing amount of sparse forest and the occasional mining camp.

So – between here and Mount Kuriel is, at a push, three days’ ride and then the short trek through the first of the mountains. Half a day to Megden on the soft plains you’ve already seen; half a day more to Bletchley. My cousin Awkward, once a sailor, to explain the name, owns the Shining Sweetcock there, a pleasant inn. And then a day through fields and forest to Wretched and a day on into the mountains.

Did you need to know anything else, milady?

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.22
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2013, 06:15:10 am »

Lady Foxglove daintily devoured another turkey and cheese sandwich, nodding and listening. Well, she thought it *tasted* like turkey. But this was another world, right? Maybe what tasted like turkey was something completely different here! Or maybe not.

She chased it with a nip of sweet tea. Which was just tea, a universal constant.

Did you need to know anything else, milady?

"That's fine for direction. We'll make excellent time now, thank you.

Tell me, do the Nomads ever cross the river themselves? What sort of people are they? I suppose they are the usual-horse borne barbarians, looting and taking slaves when they can get them, yes? Need a lady such as myself fear being taken hostage? Or perhaps are the sort that eats their captives...

...also, you said there worse things in the mountains than Kobolds. Please, don't leave me in suspense.

And compliments to the chef. These sandwiches are excellent."

OOC:
I don’t know where Medha is.

I assume she's still victory dancing with the armorer or his family now. That's where we left her.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:17:10 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2013, 06:31:15 am »

OOC:
I don’t know where Medha is.

I assume she's still victory dancing with the armorer or his family now. That's where we left her.

((Presumably having a nice dinner with them afterwards as well. After all, it would be rude for at least one of the group not to take up a dinner offer.))

"Wonder when happy hour is. Hm."

Find a barmaid or somebody performing a barmaid's duties. Gotta be someone, right? And presumably they won't be wasted, either. If there's nobody, try looking for somebody who isn't quite passed out yet and is drinking alone.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2013, 06:45:37 am »

"Wonder when happy hour is. Hm."

”Happy hour, me dear?” asks Janet, Two-bob Bob’s wife and barmaid. ”Every hour or no hour, depending how you look at it, innit… What can I do for you?”

"Tell me, do the Nomads ever cross the river themselves? What sort of people are they? I suppose they are the usual-horse borne barbarians, looting and taking slaves when they can get them, yes? Need a lady such as myself fear being taken hostage? Or perhaps are the sort that eats their captives...

...also, you said there worse things in the mountains than Kobolds. Please, don't leave me in suspense."

”That’d be about right, ma’am. Looting, occasional slaving, but they don’t cross the river so much: Lord Nirila commands a fine force of men that can stand up to most raiding parties, and quickly too. No, it’s easier for them to prey on the small settlements to the north and south, or on their side of the Immor. And worse than kobolds? Well, orcs have been seen from time to time in the mountains – I’ve fought them a couple of times myself. Occasionally hunters – serious hunters – have brought back the corpses of small wild dragons, too, but they tend not to bother well-armed or numerous groups. Oh, and then there are the troglodytes, a kind of large dull brute that the kobolds sometimes keep as pets and command. Vicious buggers, them. Nasty, big, pointy teeth.”

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2013, 06:54:47 am »

"Do you have any water? I'm a bit parched and still have places to be today. You see, I've been looking for these two blokes - brothers, actually. Gerty and Respectable, I think their names are. Ever hear of them?"

Speak.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 31, 2013, 07:02:53 am »

"Do you have any water? I'm a bit parched and still have places to be today. You see, I've been looking for these two blokes - brothers, actually. Gerty and Respectable, I think their names are. Ever hear of them?"

”Oh, those little feckarses? I ‘ave heard of them, yes… Part of a right bunch of eejits, a gang what works for a little toerag called Shelmerston, hangs out in the worst part of the warrens, over the walls on the south side… Smugglers, meant to be, but last I heard they’d do anything for a price. A low bleedin’ price too, the tight buggers. Me old man barred the both of them from the pub couple of weeks ago when they didn’t want to pay and then caught them the week after trying to burn the place down. All pissed up they was, only managed to burn his own hand before spuming his guts out all over his jar of flame… Right bag of arsebiscuits they are…”

Janet does indeed have some water, and passes a moderately murky looking jar of water across the bar to Gervedder.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 31, 2013, 07:19:00 am »

"Thank you, ma'am, you've been very helpful. I suppose I'll go see this Shelmerston, then."

Pay for the jar of water plus tip, then chug said jar until empty. Relax a bit in the delightful atmosphere, then move on, hopefully taking the entourage of party members to the south side. While moving through there, make sure to keep running until the worst part of the warrens is reached, then keep on jogging around on the lookout for a place likely to house a Shelmerston or two.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:03 am »

”That’d be about right, ma’am. Looting, occasional slaving, but they don’t cross the river so much: Lord Nirila commands a fine force of men that can stand up to most raiding parties, and quickly too. No, it’s easier for them to prey on the small settlements to the north and south, or on their side of the Immor. And worse than kobolds? Well, orcs have been seen from time to time in the mountains – I’ve fought them a couple of times myself. Occasionally hunters – serious hunters – have brought back the corpses of small wild dragons, too, but they tend not to bother well-armed or numerous groups. Oh, and then there are the troglodytes, a kind of large dull brute that the kobolds sometimes keep as pets and command. Vicious buggers, them. Nasty, big, pointy teeth.”

"We'll probably into some Trogs, then...any tips on how best to kill them?

And you spoke of small Dragons. Are they merely animals, or the intelligent sort that can talk?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2013, 08:46:24 am »

Tackov nods in thanks for the information, then tags along with the messenger.

Follow the crowd.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2013, 09:05:49 am »

"We'll probably into some Trogs, then...any tips on how best to kill them?

And you spoke of small Dragons. Are they merely animals, or the intelligent sort that can talk?"

”I’ve faced the troglodytes on several occasions, ma’am. They aren’t so different from other creatures, but larger and stronger. They can see in the dark, it always seems, but hate the bright – I’ve never heard of them attacking outside in bright sunlight. They can hurl rocks and bite your arm off in one go, but hit ‘em enough and they’ll go down. Good sword blow to the head, I’d prescribe. Oh, and they can curse your guts with the vomiting, so they can, some of them: they spit in your eyes and you retch till you’re all but useless… Then they capture you and turn you into soup, least my cousin Darby s- sorry ma’am, I’m rambling into hearsay now…”

“The small dragons, ma’am, well, they’re merely animals, of course, but cunning ones at that. As intelligent as a beast that can’t speak English might be. I think they might be dragons the same way halflings or dwarves might be humans, if you see. They can’t speak right into your brain like a true dragon, but they can certainly breath fire, I’m told.”

"Thank you, ma'am, you've been very helpful. I suppose I'll go see this Shelmerston, then."

Pay for the jar of water plus tip, then chug said jar until empty. Relax a bit in the delightful atmosphere, then move on, hopefully taking the entourage of party members to the south side. While moving through there, make sure to keep running until the worst part of the warrens is reached, then keep on jogging around on the lookout for a place likely to house a Shelmerston or two.

Follow the crowd.

Swigging down his water, leaning against the bar and taking in the lovely dinge, Gervedder picks up Toad-Bukkar and leaves with Tackov. They move south parallel with the Immor along the docks and pass through the southern gate into the stinking tight streets of the warrens. Nothing eventful happens en route, if it’s not Tackov beginning to wonder why they have to keep at a fast jog everywhere and Toad-Bukkar suddenly and drunkenly detransforming into drunken and angry Man-Bukkar, who immediately starts his foul-mouthed fecking and shiting all over the place and complaining about the horribler than normal aftertaste in his mouth.

Gervedder and Tackov aren’t sure Man-Bukkar is an upgrade.

There’s no obvious kidnappers’ hideout, but three buildings stick out from the low hovels and putrid gutters: an inn that makes Two-bob Bob’s look respectable; an apparently long-ruined temple in the grounds of a small decrepit and squeezed cemetery; and a long low building alongside the river.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 31, 2013, 09:30:31 am »

”I’ve faced the troglodytes on several occasions, ma’am. They aren’t so different from othe creatures, but larger and stronger. They can see in the dark, it always seems, but hate the bright – I’ve never heard of them attacking outside in bright sunlight. They can hurl rocks and bite your arm off in one go, but hit ‘em enough and they’ll go down. Good sword blow to the head, I’d prescribe. Oh, and they can curse your guts with the vomiting, so they can, some of them: they spit in your eyes and you retch till you’re all but useless… Then they capture you and turn you into soup, least my cousin Darby s- sorry ma’am, I’m rambling into hearsay now…”

“The small dragons, ma’am, well, they’re merely animals, of course, but cunning ones at that. As intelligent as a beast that can’t speak English might be. I think they might be dragons the same way halflings or dwarves might be humans, if you see. They can’t speak right into your brain like a true dragon, but they can certainly breath fire, I’m told.”

Lady Foxglove tapped crumbs from her lips delicately.

"Very useful information, thank you Saer. You are a credit to your profession. And you certainly know how mense thyself properly, if I do say so myself!" She said, unable to keep from prodigious flirting.

Afterwards, Lady Foxglove laid down to nap, crossbow by her pillow.

She wondered if there would be dreams.

Action: Get some sleep and fill my HP back up. Have a plot related prophetic dream, maybe?

Zzz

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:09 am »

Cast Wind Blast at the closest robber, and knock him into one of his comrades.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:51:13 am by Chink »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 118