Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191335 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.20
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

She rolls her eyes-a gesture, practiced since childhood.

"How come I get the feeling we're being going to be drawn into a larger, overarching evil plot...it's almost like the Gods are trying to distract us from our main quest by giving us these little 'side quests'. Ridiculous, really. Any day now, we'll find out it's all the plots are mystically tied together so we have a reason to care. I've done this all few times, I know.

Anyway, I like the name Gerveddar-it's quite a nice name. You're not exactly hired help anymore, you know-no reason to be so humble, sir."
She said, poking him in the chest lightly, and smiling slightly.

"Nevertheless, I do feel altogether more practiced and... how should I put this, keen from the practice obtained. Besides, before we set off for more interesting places, it is wise to build up a bit of resources and knowledge of the area, and side engagements are probably the best way to do such a thing. Being drawn into self-enrichment is hardly a thing you should shun."

"And I do prefer being called a messenger. There's a certain feeling of safety that comes with that name. You don't shoot the messenger, after all. A Mr. Gervedder Vietzo, however, is fair game."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2013, 11:49:24 am »

"If this little exercise has taught me anything, it's that I need to be more subtle when I fight. No more knocking down doors with my forehead, or I'll get more pretty scars...we've got no handsome meatheads to heroically shield me...us in this group, so I guess I'll have to be a bit more subtle...and while I don't spurn making good money, I just don't want our own world to be blown to flinders while we're wasting time harvesting duck bladders for a cranky old man, or something.

And what's this other stuff? People shoot messengers all the time. I've shot a few myself! Anonymity is no shield against arrow and slings.

I think you're just the sort whose lived too long as an incognito, a hired help, a cloak without a person inside. Don't you want your name whispered in taverns, sung by doughty bards, written in great works of literature? Fames half the reason one becomes an adventurer...without that, well...everyone would forget you ever existed..."
She said, thinking to herself that would probably be worse than actually dying.

Being forgotten.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »

The toad was very, very intent on biting the [EXPLETIVE] out of the little kid, so it took a while for Foxglove's comment to process. However, once he heard it ... he turned to Foxglove and croaked a pattern of noises that sounded like a reprimand. With that, he went back to trying to dismember the kid.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2013, 12:15:07 pm »

"DING, BABY, DINNNNG!"

Victory dance.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2013, 01:01:36 pm »

"If this little exercise has taught me anything, it's that I need to be more subtle when I fight. No more knocking down doors with my forehead, or I'll get more pretty scars...we've got no handsome meatheads to heroically shield me...us in this group, so I guess I'll have to be a bit more subtle...and while I don't spurn making good money, I just don't want our own world to be blown to flinders while we're wasting time harvesting duck bladders for a cranky old man, or something.

And what's this other stuff? People shoot messengers all the time. I've shot a few myself! Anonymity is no shield against arrow and slings.

I think you're just the sort whose lived too long as an incognito, a hired help, a cloak without a person inside. Don't you want your name whispered in taverns, sung by doughty bards, written in great works of literature? Fames half the reason one becomes an adventurer...without that, well...everyone would forget you ever existed..."
She said, thinking to herself that would probably be worse than actually dying.

Being forgotten.

"And when you gain actual fame, your image is twisted by ones who never knew you, becoming ever different with each telling of your tale. When you are famous, you are, strangely enough, forgotten just as fast, and doughty bards are almost always to blame, I think. They would certainly know that I existed, but in the minds of all, I would be reappropriated as necessary. We all are forgotten in time, at least our true selves. What survives is the caricature that proves most popular."

"Sadly enough, the same is true of ones that live forever as well, I think. Even if you don't lose your life, it is much harder to retain one's relevance."

"And I also disagree on anonymity. If nobody knows who you are, they have fewer reasons to want you dead in the first place, which is pretty good as far as shields go. And they have a bit less reason to take you seriously, which also can work to one's advantage. And, strictly speaking, you can shoot the messenger. It is just incredibly poor form to do so, also a reasonable deterrent."

When discussing the ethics of shooting the messenger, he glares at Foxglove briefly.

"But anyway, it didn't seem like the world was in an awful hurry to explode just yet. And if it does, well, what can you do? These things happen, you just have to roll with them as well as you are able."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2013, 01:35:35 pm »

"Sir Blacksmith, is there any chance we other party members can get something for our help?"

Memorize Tackov's spell for one time use. Also, ask the blacksmith if we who did not get breastplates can still be gifted something.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:36:10 pm by Chink »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:06 pm »

One time use for time, no time to actually RP
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 29, 2013, 12:18:52 am »

"And when you gain actual fame, your image is twisted by ones who never knew you, becoming ever different with each telling of your tale. When you are famous, you are, strangely enough, forgotten just as fast, and doughty bards are almost always to blame, I think. They would certainly know that I existed, but in the minds of all, I would be reappropriated as necessary. We all are forgotten in time, at least our true selves. What survives is the caricature that proves most popular."

"Sadly enough, the same is true of ones that live forever as well, I think. Even if you don't lose your life, it is much harder to retain one's relevance."

"And I also disagree on anonymity. If nobody knows who you are, they have fewer reasons to want you dead in the first place, which is pretty good as far as shields go. And they have a bit less reason to take you seriously, which also can work to one's advantage. And, strictly speaking, you can shoot the messenger. It is just incredibly poor form to do so, also a reasonable deterrent."

When discussing the ethics of shooting the messenger, he glares at Foxglove briefly.

"But anyway, it didn't seem like the world was in an awful hurry to explode just yet. And if it does, well, what can you do? These things happen, you just have to roll with them as well as you are able."

"....

Well, I suspected you were a pragmatic, messenger...such an interesting set of views. Have you no passions to ponder, or comfortable illusions to give yourself a good nights sleep, I wonder? Maybe we'll find some on this journey, who knows. No one can be this serious all the time.

....Also, I shot at a few messengers, all right? It comes with the business. Those rotters are always trying to get away with something important. But hey, I didn't kill any, they were too fast. Sorry for insulting your uh, former...current profession. Whatever."

She did actually sound a bit sorry.

Lady Foxglove would later wonder how a man could be so different from her, and yet somehow his words ring true...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 29, 2013, 01:09:23 am »

((That was awesome. :P))
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:11:59 am by Tiruin »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 29, 2013, 01:12:36 am »

((That was awesome. :P))
((What was?))
Sig! Onol

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 29, 2013, 01:29:00 am »

((Turning Bukkar into a toad))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 29, 2013, 01:31:26 am »

((That, and the RP going on.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 29, 2013, 01:34:09 am »

((True. I'm not firing off my new attack yet because I OOC don't want to kill him but IC want to hurt him very very badly.))
Sig! Onol

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #343 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:05 am »

((Every time I open this thread I have to go back and look at the OP to remember what it is.. Not that it isn't memorable or anything.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.21
« Reply #344 on: May 29, 2013, 03:26:53 am »

Turn Twenty One

If Bukkar by some miraculous chance manages to not embarrass and injure himself in this latest misadventure before intervention is needed, prevent him from doing any harm to the boy by grabbing him by the hind legs and lifting him up, then holding him at a reasonable distance from self.

Bukkar jumps up and bites the kid repeatedly.
In the face.

Initiative Face Off!

Bukkar Crangrom: 3!
Gervedder Vietzo: 8!

"Ah," finishes off Gervedder, "So they either wanted a ransom or someone was paying them handsomely to do this. Hmm. Well, Billy, have a good one. And be care-"

Gervedder stops a second to bend down, intercept the angry toad rushing at the small boy, and pick him up to dangle by the hind legs.

CROAK! Croak croak croak croakin croak, croak!!!

"Hahahahahahahahah…"

"Yes, Bukkar. That’s very nice of you to say so. We’ll all have our turn to say goodbye. Anyway Billy, be careful in that basement. Next time, somebody might not just happen along to help you out. I'd advise more traps, to be honest. Seems like you had far fewer down there than you really should, being a self-respecting magician and all."

"...Hey kid, you think you could make the ugly toad man a little smaller, and even more pathetic? Maybe add more warts. I'd love to see that, darling. I bet you could do twice as fast as you cast the last spell, too."

”I could put a nice big smelly tail on him! A rat tail! I think he’d like that, do you think he’d like that? What’s your name?”

”No Billy, that’s enough…”

Jack the Armourer turns from his son to the adventurers.

”You know, the tails are usually permanent… They’ve caused a little more trouble for me than the odd toad, you know, haha! Anyway…”

"Which actually brings me to my next question, Mr. Jack. Tell me, how did Billy learn magic? Does he just have the power, or did somebody teach him?"

”Well, I don’t know so much as that anyone’s taught him, like, I can remember just before he turned three, first I grew a sixth toe and I told the wife, Gladys, that’s a sign that is, and then shortly after little Billy started mostly just making things appear or change their form – little things, at first. He just seems to know how to do it, I suppose, like we just knows how to walk… I suppose if I saved enough money I could send him to a mage school or something like I ‘eard they have up north, but he’s doing no one any harm as it goes… well, not much…”

"Sir Blacksmith, is there any chance we other party members can get something for our help?"

”Er… I’ll ask the wife to knock you something tasty up for dinner? I’m afraid I’m a poor hard working man, so it won’t be rich folks’ fare… I brew a rare pint of mild though, if you fancy a taste. Hmm… a nice dark mild. Refreshing after a day going at it hammer and tongs, so to speak…”

Just then Medha interrupts the start of his daydreaming with a rather awkward and slightly embarrassing dance during the course of which she stubs her toe and nearly severs another rib.

"DING, BABY, DINNNNG!"

She picks herself up and sets the chair back in its place.

"So, what we doing?"

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:27:02 am by lawastooshort »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 118