Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Valley full of cyclops  (Read 12592 times)

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Valley full of cyclops
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:49:48 pm »

Right when I arrived this is what I see
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And even worse, there is a demon who is the leader(I think, but the wiki only talks about demons taking over human and goblin civilizations)
I ordered a inmigrant to kill it and it turns out that the demon is using a (giant kangaroo leather cap) as weapon giving him a slow and painful death.
I managed to move all my dwarves inside the mountain and seal the exit, the question is, what should I do? Any direct aproach will result in death and cage traps wont work on residents. Should I just ignore them and dig underground?
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Valley full of cyclops
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:43:22 pm »

Were they/ did they  become hostile after you attacked the demon? If not I think they would remain a friendly force until you are besieged/ attacked by a member of their civ?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »

When in doubt, minecart shotguns, magma toilets, ballista funnels, and obsidian guns.
Overcomplicated traps are your friends.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »

Crashmaster: They were hostile since the begining, I remember a hunter inmigrant who was beat to death by two cyclops childs when he was hunting large rats(by the way, I didnt knew that cyclops children existed, and they are becoming adults pretty quickly)I still dont know if the demon its their leader, its that even possible?

Remuthra: The problem is that they are so many that i dont have resources for all! I thought on digging the ground bellow to trap them in a pit and then fill the pit with magma but its possible to dig that way without my dwarves being seen?
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »

Alright, this may take some time, but I would make a Dwarven Machine Gun. Massive amounts of cyclopes aren't much different from massive amounts of HFS.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:13:25 pm »

If you are low on resources, start digging, and aim to get through to the cavern layer ASAP for the wood and exposed minerals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »

Dig. Train an army. Equip all.

Take the surface.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 02:31:12 pm »

Cyclops are susceptible to werecreature curses, aren't they?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:32:55 pm by coldmonkey »
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »

Remuthra: So I'll have to build several machine guns above the cyclops and then pump water and magma... I think its too complex but the idea of dropping stones may work, I just need bridges and rocks and hope gravity do the rest

My name is Inmaterial: Yes, I have done that but there arent any metal ores, just wood... Is there anyway to use it to mass murder semi-megabeast?

Loud Whispers: There are six full pages in the units list, like 186 cyclops, unless I enlist my entire population and somehow everyone can beat at least two cyclops I dont think its possible, maybe I could "recruit" some creature from the caverns but like I said before direct approach ist completely suicidal

coldmonkey: I suppose but I'll have to wait until a werebeast arrives and then hope that the curse infects the whole population and even then I'll still have a smaller population of werebeast cyclops

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »

Loud Whispers: There are six full pages in the units list, like 186 cyclops, unless I enlist my entire population and somehow everyone can beat at least two cyclops I dont think its possible, maybe I could "recruit" some creature from the caverns but like I said before direct approach is completely suicidal

Unless I enlist my entire population

Solutions!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

Wood weapons. And leather, if you have any animals in the cavern layer. Otherwise, you're screwed.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 04:51:40 pm »

Loud Whispers: There are six full pages in the units list, like 186 cyclops, unless I enlist my entire population and somehow everyone can beat at least two cyclops I dont think its possible, maybe I could "recruit" some creature from the caverns but like I said before direct approach is completely suicidal

Unless I enlist my entire population

Solutions!

Ok, I think I'll order some marksdwarves to annoy attack from fortifications carved in the mountain but I think I'll run out of ammo before having one kill

Wood weapons. And leather, if you have any animals in the cavern layer. Otherwise, you're screwed.
Good news, a caravan arrived and got killed by the demon so I have some metal weapons and armor. Also I'm thinking of training a Naked Mole Dog army and drop it on the heads of the cyclops

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 05:30:18 pm »

If you have sand there is trap components for the cyclops- hey cage traps! they can be caged... and not trapaviod, I don't think there's a problem with using a trap corridor with a drawbridge at the end.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

If you have sand there is trap components for the cyclops- hey cage traps! they can be caged... and not trapaviod, I don't think there's a problem with using a trap corridor with a drawbridge at the end.
The problem is that they are residents and (I think) they arent affected by traps

burchalka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 05:42:59 pm »

To OP - please share your solution once you come to it, since I'm handling very same issue: a supermutant - centaur-riding siege (Fallout mod by Deon) - and I can hardly hurt them with ranged weapons through fortifications.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9